Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I took my car to the dealership for some work. I just bought my car and wanted to make sure everyhting was good on it so I had them do the 120K service even though my car only has 104,000 miles on it. So anyways they did the plugs, timing belt and water pump. When I went in to pick up my car he said the ticking noise that we always have is a bad valve and I needed to pay 2200 dollars for a valve job. I told him most 3 litres have that sound and I wasnt really worried about it. Well last week my car started making a diffrent sound. Instead of a loud tick i is a low wobble or bumping sound. I took it back to the dealer and one of the guys listened to it with a stehiscope.

He is trying to tell me that it is a lifter porblem in my head.

I took it to 3 independent mechanics all of which have worked on stealths or 3000gt's they all said the sound was coming from under the timing belt cover.

So if I take it back to the dealer and have them look it over they will charge me 160 dollars if it is not something they did wrong.

What are the odd of actually having them admit they are wrong?

Can I take my timing belt cover off without hurting anything?

Can you drive with the cover off?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You can drive without the timing belt covers on. Shouldn't hurt anything. Also, the chance of the dealership admiting they're wrong is like the chance of hell freezing over. It wont happen. They'll look at it, try to fix what they think is wrong, then give it back to you and if it's fixed, great, if not, damn, guess that wasn't the problem, they'll tell you it's another X amount of dollars to fix it. (They won't admit they're wrong though).
I had a dealership rebuild my active aero, which wouldn't stay off and made a horrible clunking sound when it went back down. They did the rebuild, it still clunks, and I still can't turn it off without removing the fuse. Never will I go to a dealership again. They also had my car out for almost two weeks rebuilding the active aero (a five or six hour job, if you do it yourself). (I've also had my turbos out for the past three weeks because they have to get rebuilt. Don't rebuilds take about two or three days? :mad::mad: )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts