Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the autocross season begins to wind down I thought it might be interesting to see what people used this season for tires. Also, would be interesting to see what size and on what size rims. And, of course, your opinion of how they worked for you. Mine:

Bridgestone RE11's 265-35x18's
OZ F1's 18x9

These are my street and autocross wheels/tires. (Run what ya brung ;-)

Suspension set-up to exhibit slight understeer on the street. Adjustable with pressures and the coilovers on the track. Works well. Can steer with throttle, drift, or drive through corners as needed.

Too few events as the car had a lot of work done on it since LAST August. I wasn't happy with the PS2's (they were 245-40x18's on same wheels) when you really heated them up. So far the RE11's don't seem to suffer from the heat. Although the size difference might be at work there. Overall, difficult to break loose and when they do you have ample warning.

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
Hoosier AS305's 275/40/17
On 5 zigen 17x9

one word, WIN

Not a problem or complaint regarding grip or traction with these tires, even regarding their 5 year age. ( I have used these tires for about 3 years, too )

·
Registered
110 Posts
275/40/17 Hoosier A6 (very used pair, got them for $90) front
245/45/17 Kumho V710 rear
All on 17x8 +35 Rota Boost

I used this reverse stagger setup to cancel out the understeer in the FWD NA car. The car was pretty neutral but the 275 Hoosier's were probably too wide for the 8 inch wide wheels so turn in response was not very good. Plus the Hoosiers were so used up that they didn't really grip that well anyway.

245/45/17 Kumho V710 all around on 17x8 Rota Boost

The car actually picked up a lot more oversteer with this setup. I think this is partly because the V710s had a lot more life and grip left in them than the spent Hoosiers, and also because the narrower tread width actually allowed the front to generate some heat (The wide Hoosiers could never get up to temperature in the front, car simply didnt have the weight or the power). I have the pillowball mounts on the Megans turned so that the camber slots allow me to give the car more caster, thus more dynamic camber gain. The car is very neutral with this setup, had a veteran driver drive the car and he liked it very much. On grippy concrete surface the car would lift the inner rear tire at almost every corner and generate enough Gs to fuel starve with 6-7 gallons left in the tank.

265/35/18 Nitto NT-05 on 18x9.5 +20 Rota Torque

This is my daily driving setup but I autocrossed a few events with these too. Could never get enough heat in these tires. They are better suited for road course driving where they have plenty of time to get up to temp. During autocross 3-4 runs a day was not enough to heat these up. They felt a lot better to me during the rare fun run session when we'd do 5-6 back to back runs. They don't quite have the predictability of the elite max performance tires and behave more like r-comps at the limit. Still, car puts up decent times with these.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Pirelli P-zeros to start the summer. Borderline ridiculous grip. Then I blew my front rightie.

Now running on Hankook Evo k110s (265/35/18s). Wanted to try them out because they got fantastic ratings in all of their comparison tests, and are dirt cheap.

I only have like a thousand miles on them so it's hard to gauge how good they'll be once the tread squirm dies down. But they grip about 90% as well as the Pirellis at this point. Awesome traction in the wet. Some noise to them. Car is set up for slight controllable oversteer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I only have had about 1 race on the Ks and it was on a new track/course to me so I would dare to campare yet. I'm done for the year so ask me next season.

·
Premium Member
14,048 Posts
Not a big deal since you can't really get the originals anymore so I'll probably end up with K's anyways. My orginal 615's are shot and I've got at least 1 more track day and 2 auto-x's left so I'll need something new before next season. Was just hoping for a bit better rain traction.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Had the factory Dunlop SP01's in 225/45/17 on my WRX for most of this season. They were decent on the track but with combined track/DD use I barely got 9k miles out of them.

I replaced them with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs in 225/45/17 and got some Enkei Imola wheels in 17x7.5 from Tire Rack. I mounted them about a week in advance and put about 300 miles on them before doing an event and they were great but MAN DID THEY HEAT UP! I had them at 34 Front/33 rear and after each run they were pushing almost 10 psi more. But they stick like no other tire.

I have run the Z1 Star Specs on my VR4 in the past and will continue to purchase them. Can't beat the cost difference in 17" vs. 18".

·
Registered
126 Posts
just recently bought a set of bfg g force sports. 245-45-17 on stock 97Sl chromies. Not bad for the street, and went to the my first autocross this weekend. ran them for about 750 miles before the event to break em in nice, but it seemed that there wasnt as much grip as i hoped. probably going to get some grippier tires for next year if i decide to continue.. AUTOCROSS IS ADDICTING!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bfg g force sport 275/35/18...... love them

·
Premium Member
14,048 Posts
Ran the star specs at a track event a week or so ago and they were up to the task but I think the Azenis did a bit better. If what I hear about rain traction with the star specs is correct the small loss on the track is worth it in my mind...even if I have 2 sets of wheels/tires and use the azenis on dry track days.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Agreed. I had them a few sets ago (still have KDW's for Winter) and thought they were great. I think they held better than my PS2s when really heated up AND they wore like iron. Still have not even scuffed the RE11's. Want to test them at the limit. The KDs remained consistent right up to the limit. Wondering if the RE11's will extend that limit.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ran the star specs at a track event a week or so ago and they were up to the task but I think the Azenis did a bit better. If what I hear about rain traction with the star specs is correct the small loss on the track is worth it in my mind...even if I have 2 sets of wheels/tires and use the azenis on dry track days.
My son has them on his M3 (+1) running them a his DD. He reports OK wet traction, but wouldn't do a track day in the wet with them. He did in the dry. Likes them a lot.

·
Super Moderator
21,161 Posts
Agreed. I had them a few sets ago (still have KDW's for Winter) and thought they were great. I think they held better than my PS2s when really heated up AND they wore like iron. Still have not even scuffed the RE11's. Want to test them at the limit. The KDs remained consistent right up to the limit. Wondering if the RE11's will extend that limit.
I used g force sports too, but on my Miata (you can see the tread pattern in my sig lol). 205/50/15. They were great at the one event I used them in - I beat all the other Miatas on street tires and was about dead even with one of the 3 Miatas on slicks. Definitely like that tire. Can't compare to anything I've used on the VR-4 since the cars are total apples and oranges.

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
My son has them on his M3 (+1) running them a his DD. He reports OK wet traction, but wouldn't do a track day in the wet with them. He did in the dry. Likes them a lot.
Maybe since I am AWD I didnt have any problems, but I was able to tail a 2007 GT3 for 20 laps at Pacific raceways in a TORRENTIAL downpour. I run 255/40 Direzza's, full weight, healthy engine BPU car.

Only tire I have run for the last 2 years, been through 3 sets, dozens of autocrosses, drive about 12k miles a year, aggressive driver.

The RE-11's are probably either 95% as good or 5% better than direzza's, user preference, but are more expensive.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe since I am AWD I didnt have any problems, but I was able to tail a 2007 GT3 for 20 laps at Pacific raceways in a TORRENTIAL downpour. I run 255/40 Direzza's, full weight, healthy engine BPU car.

Only tire I have run for the last 2 years, been through 3 sets, dozens of autocrosses, drive about 12k miles a year, aggressive driver.

The RE-11's are probably either 95% as good or 5% better than direzza's, user preference, but are more expensive.
Your (our) AWD adds a lot of confidence with any tire in the rain. Why I went with my first VR4 in '93. Fantastic that you stayed with a GT3. Would like more details.

Personally I'm in agreement. We'd need a side-by-side comparo on the same cars (a RWD and a AWD) to really get a good idea about the two. Then you have to consider individual driver styles. Could be a wash.

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
Since the RE-11 came out recently I will have to see how many people are running them next year, we have a pretty big autocross scene up here in the NW. Going to keep an eye out and pick at the minds of people with different tires, there MAY be something I would end up liking more than my Dunlops, but I got another 10000 miles left in the ones I have on now :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since the RE-11 came out recently I will have to see how many people are running them next year, we have a pretty big autocross scene up here in the NW. Going to keep an eye out and pick at the minds of people with different tires, there MAY be something I would end up liking more than my Dunlops, but I got another 10000 miles left in the ones I have on now :)
The DDs are pretty good tires. I got the RE11s only because of timing. They came out after the DDs, preliminary reviews were quite positive and I needed (and wanted) to replace the PS2s. Nothing definitive there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts