Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 98 3k base for practically nothing. The sound system and rims cost more than the car.
It has a 3.0 sohc 4 speed auto fwd
I'm curious to see what all I could do to beef it up .
Basically I tired of going to car shows to see stock 2019 cars that probably came straight from the dealership

I want a fast car to play with but I don't plan on drag racing . I want better top speed but acceleration would be fun.

I was thinking about supercharger but not sure on the 3.p sohc
Would it be better to swap the engine to a 3.0 dohc that's in the sl. My understanding if I did go that route of need a new computer but the engine should still bolt up
I'm also okay with it being a fwd car.

What could I possibly do to my car

Feel free to message me to get better info. If need be. I just don't know a whole lot about 3ks and I don't want to sell it. Its my dream car.

Need insight

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,108 Posts
Welcome to the board!

The post is a little confusing. Did you JUST acquire the car? i.e. no sentimental value aside from being the first "dream 3000GT" to come into your possession. Is this your first car, ever, or have you owned any other car previously?

First, there are various paths to take, but your very first step must always be to ensure that the vehicle is current and up-to-date on its maintenance - both minor and major service intervals. If there is no document or receipt, then assume it was never done - period. Furthermore, you can run tests to verify its health and vitals.

Second, search, search, search some more on here, and then ask more precise questions. The general response (to keep and improve the car short of selling) is going to be "BPU" modifications (basic performance or bolt-on performance upgrades).

It sounds like you just want to appreciate the car for what it is (styling despite SOHC base), so hopefully you realize that it is NOT going to be a FAST car without some serious dedication and resources. With that being said, this old upgrade path article (circa 2006...) is very dated but still somewhat of a good reference. It is intended for the DOHC, but it will give you an idea:

Upgrade: Staged Upgrades - Naturally Aspirated <<

After ALL is said and done, you may come to a realization and have an epiphany, or you might actually be content. Everything beyond the realm of BPU is another topic for discussion... do not feel the need to mention serious building or power adders just yet.

-Alan

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can swap a DOHC or DOHC Turbo engine in. Pretty straight forward. You'd need a computer and some wiring. Best to get a pull out or a wreck. You could be super creative and do a 6G75 swap.

I'd suggest just getting a bottle of NOS and calling it a day. Run it, pop it and swap another SOCH motor in for $200.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. This is not my first car
I currently have a supercharged grand prix and a v8 magnum Dakota

Issues that need fix on my car
Wiring harness.
Transmission is starting to slip
Exhaust
Fuel injectors I think are starting to clog
Master brake cylinder I think is going to be going out soon. Or possibly new lines. (Still troubleshooting this problem. But weather has made me take a break)

My thoughts for fixing
Swap engine to a dohc
(Takes care of wiring harness and engine problems also put in a tunable computer)
Rebuild transmission maybe bulk it up a little. Not sure?
Cut exhaust out and re pipe with new engine

After that possibly bolt on upgrades?

Is this better or am I still over thinking and being confusing haha

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,712 Posts
My thoughts for fixing
Swap engine to a dohc
(Takes care of wiring harness .........
Not exactly…. Engine compartment wiring harness for distributor car is not same as for crank angle and cam position sensor car.

Edit: Also wiring harness to ECU might be different (not sure) as SOHC and DOHC require different ECU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts