Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cars, whether a 91 or 99 are basically the same design. Others I can think of that lasted only 1 generation are - Bricklin, Vega, Pinto, Gremlin, Geo storm, DeLorean, etc. I am not implying that our cars are a bad design - I think they are great cars except for a certain man trans & a plastic guide wheel on window regulator assembly. But that's really it. Amazingly few problems even with 1st year 91 models. Lot less problems than American makes. Great paint.
If we really love our cars, we might as well stick with them & upkeep them - since there is no future one to look forward to. I certainly don't get tired of these cars & go nuts when I see another 1 on the road! Notice how collision insurance drops when the car is 7 years old? That's great. Stick with 'em!

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Acura NSX. SWEET from day one to still in production 9 years later. Minimal changes internally and virtually none stylisticly. power went from 270 to 290hp in 1996 (I think it was that year, maybe 97).

Also Dodge Viper. They did improve it from first years like add windows, went to hatchback GTS style. Same 8.0 V-10.

In all of its years of international production, the VW Beetle saw only a few variations on the original basic design. Only last year when it was re-introduced to us in the US did it see a major redesign. But some other countries/continents (South America I believe) never STOPPED production of the old style Beetle.

There's plenty of others if you look at the short-lived or very limited production ones. But these above are all production cars that people recognize.

EricB

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Harley-Davidson big twins.

Tell me it's not the same engine today that it was in 1936.

Did anybody mention Gremlins and Pacers yet? Some cars are just self-evidently 1 generation-only.

Eric, I read many years back that, when VW stopped making them, it was some company in Brazil that bought all the tooling and rights for the Beetle and kept making them. For all I know, they may still be churning them out. Although this further may just be urban legend, I've read that the same applies to other icons of our childhood like the '65 Ford Galaxies. Must be nice living in a country without an EPA. Maybe in 2021 I'll be able to by a new Stealth, with the dashboard in Portuguese.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Caple (edited December 21, 1999).]

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Fiero comes to mind...

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Beetles are still produced in Mexico, I've seen the plant. The produce the 1972 model for the most part I beleive, dont know why.
and my insurance is still way too much...my '91 R/T costs me $2800 a year with a perfect driving record, no tix or accidents...and my friend has a 1999 honda accord has 1 ticket and one accident and pays $1000/year same company, same plan. is it really *that* much to fix these cars?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$2800 a yr for a 91! Somthing's wrong. Are you 16 years old or over 30? I am in NJ & pay around a $1000/yr - collision rates went down a lot when the car was 7 years old - try higher deductibles, perhaps less liability, etc. I have NJ Manufacturers Insurance. 91 steath es. What state r u in & what Insurance Company do you have?

·
510 Posts
Actually, the Fiero lasted two generations...One really boxy, the other smooth and refined (?). Not counting all the kit car bodies that can be thrown on them!

The Dodge Daytona, albeit with different motors, (2.2l, 2.5l, 3.0l) never really changed much...Stayed true to it's stock car appearance, and was a real good car in my opinion...For a front wheel drive.

D

[This message has been edited by tturbo30 (edited December 21, 1999).]

H

·
0 Posts
How about a CHEVETTE!!!!! ya....pimpin! with fatties and all!

A Del Sol?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Andrew,
What movie is this..."I was born somewhere in the Ford Galaxy..."

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Tturbo30, was the 2nd gen Fiero a diff. platform or just an enhanced body kit. I know what you mean, but I was under the impression it was like the diff between an 84 stang and a 91 stang. No?

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
how about the Buick Grand National/ T Type

i am noticing a pattern. the great cars of the past seem to stay the same. the viper, the GN, 3000gt, bug!! i guess if you build them right the first time there is no need to change them!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hmmm...wasnt that just a factory modded regal? That could open things up. ZR1 vette would also count.
Hey, how about an AC Cobra?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts