Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some birthday money in, $240 to be exact, and was looking to do some stuff to my car. I know it's not much but I can put up another 10 maybe 20 bucks a week untill Christmas and then I'll also have money from Christmas. Oh yeah, I've got a 91 SL auto.

Here's what I'm looking at getting:

Custom downpipe from other thread
udp
K&N FIPK
NGK plugs and Magnacor Wires

My question is what order do you think I should go in on these. Also, do you think it's even worth my time to mod it or should I just wait till I get a VR4. If I wait on the VR4 I'm just gonna finish up the stereo system in this one and then move it to the VR4 when I get it. So what do you guys think?

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I wouldn't waste the $$ on performance mods. I also have a 91 sl auto and I don't think anything could help it besides NOS. As you can see it is 100% stock. The only thing I would do to it would be non-performance look-good mods like rims, stereo, clear corners, etc... good luck.

·
5,179 Posts
If I had to pick I would go with the FIPK because you can use it in your VR-4 whenever you get it. (You could also start saving money for the VR-4)

·
442 Posts
an exhaust is nice too...its partially cosmetic as well and the sweet tone of a good design is worth the price alone

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well if you are like me and cant pay off your insurance with such a steep rate I would suggest modding your SL. With this money you should look into the Intake first than the Plugs/Wires. You can also do it the other way around. But those two mods I think are the bases of everything else. BTW if you have an auto you should visit a Thread entitled " Cold Air Intake ", it is in the Parts For Sale section. CAI is practically one of the best and cheapest mods for an NA. It can provide up to four horses. Great start.

I do plan on keeping my NA...Im young now but hopefully as I get older I will have more money so I will end up keeping the NA and using it as my Project Car. So on the side I will drive the wifes car ( When I do get a wife hehe:D ) and the VR-4 which I hope to buy one day, when Im like 50. Damn that is about 33 more years, DAMNITTTT...:D

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
It depends on how long you are going to keep your SL. If your going to be looking for a VR4 in a couple of years i would say just save that movie for vr4 mods and maintenence. Otherwise go for it. Those mods seem to be worth it, and make sure you get the pulley

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was thinking about maybe keeping the SL as a daily driver and using the VR4 as a weekend speed machine. I just wanted a little more oomph from the SL. The only reason I'm thinking I might keep the SL and not use it to help pay off the VR4 is cause its a first year and a rare color (I've got that kinda silvery gold color). How much do you think these mods will help? I'm thinking just visual for now but I don't know.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
man, I don't want this to come off the wrong way, but modding your SL is like putting deoderant on a smelly pit (aka pointless). The auto tranny kills you. Just get the vr4 and keep your SL for when the VR4 breaks. If you do decide to mod it I would recommend buying mods that can be switched over to the vr4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts