Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3SI CEO
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need/want more power, what should I get next and what's the best bang for the buck? What has a bigger HP advantage? I'm currently looking to get a EBC, down pipe or UD pulley. So lets hear it fellas I want to finally be BPU.

·
3SI CEO
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EBC is unanimous, don't worry I'll only take it up to 14 psi. Any thoughts on a down pipe or pulley.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
EBC, all the way. I think the pulley was worthless and produced very little HP, at least compared to other BPU mods. I would go with the downpipe/gutted front cat combo (or even precat eliminator combo) next. Then I would go 450cc/fuel pump/AFC after that. Then some drivetrain mods like lightened flywheel, clutch, and carbon fiber driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I guess I'll be the single detractor here. Best overall single mod made to the car has been the stillen Downpipe. I admit that a boost controller rates a tight second place, but really think that the benefits of a smoother exhaust, more racey tone, and opening up the upper rpm range was a better first mod than a boost controller. THEN when you install your boost controller you will be able to better gauge the performance improvement by that mod. I recommend an EBC over a manual boost controller, they tend to be more flexible.
If I had to do it all over again, the stillen DP would come first, the boost controller second(this mod should always include a new boost gauge), a catback 3rd, and intake 4th, then after playing with the new found power for a while, then would move up to bigger turbos, injectors, fuel pump. Then move to the suspension or stereo or interior mods.

Lord Warlock
been there done that...I think.

·
3SI CEO
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am currently looking at the Stillen downpipe and Blitz SBC-id boost controller.

What would a Fidanza flywheel do?

I already have the Borla exhaust and HKS intake would adding the Stillen down pipe be enough for my exhaust or would I need something else?

Once again thanks for all the input.
-Eric-

·
3SI CEO
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richy T. said:
Test pipe and eliminate your pre-cats.
So if I get the test pipe that will eliminate the pre cat and how much do those run? And will it still be smogable in CA?

·
3SI CEO
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
detpac said:
How much for the Sea Doo's?
$6K for skis, trailer and a bunch of goodies.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i would definetly go with the downpipe and ebc. i am running the stillen dp and after the install the car pulled very hard. well worth the money. at the same time you should gut the rear precat. something i should have done which i didn't. i also put the ud pulley on after the dp install and i felt i gained a little from it, but it did feel that it reved a little quicker. good luck

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
The stillen dp eliminates the front precat and the main cat. The rear precat will need to be gutted, takes about an hour. Since you already have the borla, you'll be surprised at the increase in flow with the downpipe. It also should improve the sound of the exhaust some. I opted to skip the pulley.

You do not use a test pipe with the Stillen, the test pipe replaces a main cat, and allows you to change it in and out. The stillen is easier, as it is just six bolts and you can put the factory cat and front precat back on.

Then get an EBC and start growing poorer every day like the rest of us that are hooked on mods.

LW

·
3SI CEO
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then get an EBC and start growing poorer every day like the rest of us that are hooked on mods.
True dat, My name is Eric and I'm addicted to moding my car even when it's up for sale.;)

I hope it will still pass smog? and how do you gut the pre cat?

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
gut the cat: with a drill. I used a 1.5 inch wood boring bit, a 5 inch drill extension, an electric drill (not a cordless) a shop vac to suck out chunks and dust and a drop light to look up and see how much farther you have to drill. Its awkward but fairly easy. Just the falling precat pieces is a major mess that you don't want under your shirt, or in your eyes. Wear goggles and wear long sleeve shirt. Heavy sweat is better than having that crap fall on you.
Gutting the cats has been discussed heavily here and there are step by step guides on other threads. Do a search on gutting or cat removal or something similar.

Lord Warlock

·
3SI CEO
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey thanks a bunch LW. I can probably do it at my work in the maitenance shop where they have everything except for a car lift.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.