Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Limp-in is a loop the computer sets when it finds a fault in the system. To protect itself, it sets extremely conservative parameters to allow you to basically limp-in your car for service immediately. I.e not stranded, but won't run any races either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Now, I want to know how to read the diagnostic code. I have an 11 pin connector with a rubber cover right next to the fuse box to the left under the steering column. This connector has 7 pins on one side and 4 on the other with plastic keying on the housing. Is this the connector that I am looking for and if so can I ground one pin and read the codes by interpeting pulses on the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?

·
255 Posts
First If I'm not mistaken for the 93 and earlier cars there is no provision for reading malf codes through the check engine light. But your not totally out of luck. You need a multi meter, preferably analog or if you can get a multimeter that has a logic setting that would be even better. Two different colored 3 ft long jumper wires with alligator clips. Designate one color as positive and one as negative. Find pin 1 and pin 12 of the diagnostic connector (that's the one next to the fuse box) Connect the + alligator clips to pin 1 and the negative/ground clip to pin 12. Attach the other end of your jumpers to the appropriate lead on your multimeter (+ to positive and - to negative). Now comes the fun part. With you meter connected turn your key to the ignition setting. The meter needle will deflect to show a 2 digit code or a series of 2 digit codes. If you use a digital meter it is difficult to interpret the code. If you use the logic setting just copy down the beeps or the blinks or whatever system that your meter uses. Then use the malf code table section 13A-20 in the service manual. The table also helps you to interpret the output signal pattern. If you need a copy of the table email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I understand the theory of the meter deflections to read the codes between pins 1 and 12 of the diagnostic connector rather than grounding pin one and reading the pulses of the CHECK ENGINE light.
But, I count 11 pins in the connector, 7 on one side and 4 on the other.
Ah, the question: Where is pin 12? Or for that matter, where is pin 1? Am going to E-MAIL request for fax.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.