Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how long my car has been making a squeaking noise from the pulley/drive belt assembly as I can't hear it from inside the car, but today I left the car running and hopped out and noticed the noise. After popping the hood I noticed that it came from the pulley/drive belt assembly. I'm not sure why it is doing this, but can it be fixed? Also is it damaging my car in any way? This isn't the standard noise from having your belts too loose. It is doing it all the time while the car is running from what I can tell. Thank you for any theories as to what is causeing this.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Ok you first need to find out if it's the BELT or the BEARING.

Just turn the car on and spray a few sprays of Armor All onto the belt area. IF the squeaking stops, it's the BELT. Don't use belt treatment, it will make it worse later on.. Armor All will "fix" it temporarily but after a day or 2 it will come back and you can then adjust the belt.

If the squeaking DOES NOT stop, it's the bearings, you gotta replace them but I don't THINK it causes any damage,it's just really really annoying. I may be wrong though.

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it isn't my bearings. I just had my engine rebuilt about 4-5K ago and the bearings were changed along with everything else. I'll try using armor all and seeing if that works.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
FYI,

just make sure you ONLY spray the P/s Belt, or A/C belt.

Do NOT go near the timing belt or any of it's pulleys.

....baddddd things if that belt slips on the sprocket or cams...........

:(

E

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Most likely your tensioner pulley....I had that problem with my first one. I didn't replace it cuz I'm a cheap bastard...I sprayed it CAREFULLY with WD 40 into the bearing every couple of months and that nursed it till the car was destroyed 8 months later. Also.....cycle the AC on and off (compressor) Sometimes the clutch bearing on the compressor wears or doesn't disengage properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts