Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, Im learning here bit by bit...can someone tell me what the resonator is? Where is it located? What is the benefit of removing it? What is the downside of removing it? Does it hurt the car to remove it? I needpower in a bad way!

T

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
There are two types, I believe the one you are referring to is the resonator bottle that is located on the intake pipe right before the throttle body. If you take it off, you will hear that your car sounds a little bit better, but it is heavily disputer whether or not it actually gives you performance gains. I think that there is a quicker response when I press the pedal, but many people say that it is a waist. To remove it, you similpy undo the clamp that holds it on, and put a medicine bottle top back in and clamp the top in tight. That is it.
On your exhaust there is a thing called a resonator and it serves the same purpose as the resonator bottle in that it is designed to eliminate pulses in the air for a smoother, more quiet tone. As a result both are somewhat restrictive. If you were to remove the resonator in the exhaust, I would think that you would see some performance gains, but again not huge ones since you dp and all the cats and mufflers are very restrictive.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Simply put...removing your resonator on your intake wont do as much as removing your resonator off of your Exhuast.;)

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i removed the resonbator in exhaust

Would this make my car sound like a mutha freakin motorcycle? I hate cars that have exhaust that are way too loud and they sound like sport bikes...

T

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
how do i take off the resonator on my exhaust?

would that make it loud as fuck causing me to get pulled over?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
You wouldnt get pulled over man...and it doesnt sound that bad. Without your exhuast resonator and a freeflow cat combined with 2.25 inch piping and you will be getting some good top-end.

BTW...if you take it to your local exhuast shop while they are doing the exhust you could just ask them to take it out for you.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts