Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a paint job on my veilside 3kgt in a high luster black, and someone told me I should get a blue pearl or somethign, can someone explain to me what a pearl is and how much they cost?

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Know how a pearl (as in the ones from the ocean) has that kinda "oily" gleam to it? They're white but in the light they shine a bit of a different color... That's what a pearl does to a paint job. If you've seen the white or yellow 3000GTs or Stealths they have pearls on them. They look really nice, but if you get in an accident or whatever and need it repainted, having someone match it is going to be VERY VERY VERY VERY costly.

·
The Blank Man
1,161 Posts
contrary to what people think, painting pearl (as i'm told by the body shop that just painted my nose perfectly) is easier to paint b/c it's like painting with glitter... i'm not sure whether to believe him or not, but it sounds logical

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
People on here have said that it is a pain in the ass to match and thus is very expensive and more difficult. You first put down the normal primer coat, then however many coats of the color you want, then a few coats of the pearl color, then some clear coats - if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pearl is a pain in the ass to match (in case of repair, or adding body kit, etc) . Get red, red is much easier:D
And, unless you match pearl just right, it can look different at different angles. So what matches your car at one angle at noon will probably not match at dusk (light conditions). But a pro can do it, just a little more work and patience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts