Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For defense against various types of people, what do you guys put under the seat or in the back to help defend yourself and your car? On advice of my good friend I'm going with the 26" expandable ASP baton. It has a weighted tip and a guaranteed locking system. Plus 26" of pure steel is a pretty good deterrent if any uppity ricers start eyeing your car at a gas station after beating them at the light, eh? What do you guys use?

·
Registered
497 Posts
umm... i rip my shift knob off for the gernade approach, gota keep em at a distance

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
About 3/4 of an AXE handle under the drivers seat....thats it the first option, 2nd option would be the butterfly Knife beside my seat(wedged besides the seat and middle console)

·
Registered
636 Posts
i stare at them w/ my ugly face.. and usually they get scared.. if that dosen't work i take off all my clothes and prance around naked ... and if that dosen't scare them... then i'm scared....

·
Member# 2310
2,638 Posts
If you get something like a baton a nice place to put it is. Right between the drivers seat and center console. Kinda under the seat though. There is a nice space right there, that's where I keep my defense. It is just small enough to keep whatever you have from sliding around and big enough to hold bigger items.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Afaik, the batons aren't looked upon nicely by law enforcement. One of my best friends was pulled over and had one in his seat. The officer asked where he got it. My friend told him that his brother was Officer {insert name). He got off. (His brother really is a cop).

·
Registered
606 Posts
i carry steel pocket knife with a curved 4" blade and curved handle. i've only used the blade on someone once, it fits really nicely in my fist so i usually punch people with it in my hand. i also have the handle-end of an aluminum bat that we broke one night smashing mailboxes. if i had to guess, i'd say it's about 20 inches long.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
You can get those batons aroung here so I suppose they aren't illegal. They sell them at this army shop around 30 minutes away.

From what I've heard if you get pulled over and they find potential weapons they can tack those things on to the ticket. Usually they will get dismissed but you never know.
I've also heard you can carry a baseball bat but you should keep a baseball in the car too. That way they won't try to say you had it in there to be used as a weapon.

-Jeff

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
I have a retractable steel baton next to me at all times.. it sits on the floor, right between the drivers seat and the door. There is nice little spot for it, and it doesn't move or anything..

Just don't whip it out to amaze your friends.. I did this one night. :( Tried "flinging" it out like you would under attack, and hit my damn car.. I still have the dent in the quarter panel.. :(

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
ok. I'm half buzzed; so bear with me here.

But....

WE'RE NOT GETTING INTO THIS DISCUSSION AGAIN.

There are many ways to protect one's livelihood, life, and property. What you ultimately decide to do Spliff is up to you.

With that said, understand that although each person has their own means and abilities to protect their property, adding a threatening weapon into your list may likely get you killed.

Any time that a weapon is brought into a dispute, you have escalated the severity of the situation. When you do this, the other party is rightfully allowed to escalate in retaliation. The higher you escalate (ie, the more deadly the weapon) the faster and more serious their response can be)

I'll say this ONLY once.

THE ONLY TRUE SAFE DEFENSE IF YOU WANT TO AVOID HARM AND PROPERTY LOSS IS RETREAT

Did you get that? go back, read it again.

Any time you do ANYTHING other than retreat, you open yourself up to a conflict. Pride or not. Right or wrong. If you pull a baton on someone, because of 'property' infringement (possible damage to your possessions) you WILL be in the wrong.

Property infringement, as retarded, immature, and ethically wrong as it is, does NOT permit you to beat down a person. If you attempt to, you are now questionably applying possible lethal force. How do they know your intent? Intent requires psychic abilities, and that's not forseeably accessible to the average person. if you approach someone with a collapsible baton, and they are carrying they may draw on you, out of stupidity. If they are truly paniced, they may even fire. Last time I checked, a baton was no match for a pistol or revolver.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but refer to this thread, (<a href="http://209.58.199.225/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47988&highlight=carry">here</a>) if you want to be surprised by what unreal amounts of pain you can get yourself into if you step into a fight based on 'pride' just because of possible property damage. (many many people remarked how they hadn't realized how many MATURE, SENSIBLE 3S member carry LEGALLY. Think about how many IMMATURE, MORONIC idiots carry ILLEGALLY on Street night at illegal drag races....)

When there is no imminent danger, ALWAYS retreat.

When danger can be avoided, ALWAYS retreat.

When you you ignore these rules ALWAYS expect to be in the wrong, and in deep sh!t.

that's my $.02 take it for what it's worth.

Elton

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
I wholeheartedly (sp?) agree with Elmo. We both have shared our views about personal defence in a different thread, no need do go through all of that again. Retreating IS the best way to stay safe PERIOD.

Stay safe,

Chris

·
Here Alot
2,366 Posts
I carry nothing but I have a black belt in Karate and trained in the temple for a while (just kidding). Does that count? Seriously, a few years back at UT apartment (UNCC area). 3 drunk as hell guys were talking shit while I was trying to park my GT. That night I was playing pool with one of my friend and lost to him (kinda not in a good mood) So I decide to fight them. I first kick as hard as I can to the guy talking shit at his balls. He dropped his beer bottle and fell down.. never got up. Second and third guy ran after me. At that time, my gf's friend was on the porch and one guy heard him and stopped.. but the last guy didn't. He threw a purch and I blocked it. I grapped his arm and threw him on the floor.. then FINISHED him. I was taught that way when I took Karate. I gave him a punch when he was on the ground at his throat. Everything happen so fast... (that guy was rolling all over the ground and grabbing his throat and saying he can't breath and can't speak. I was about to shit in my pant. (I thought he was going to die) All my friends were outside and the fight stopped. Now, I am about 5'8 and about 145lbs. Those guys were about 6'3 at least and probably around 185lbs plus. It turned out my gf knew one of the guy (the guy I threw on the ground). He then came over and tried to shake my hand and said "Sorry man". I was like whatever and walked off with my gf and her friends. After that fight, I promised my gf not to fight anymore.. or at least her friend :)

true story and NO BS. I am normally a nice guy but I have a very short short fuse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree too..

I agree with that, but I'm talking about a worst case scenario here. Say you're parked and someone smashes your driver side window and grabs you. There's really no way to escape from that situation. That is one of the only cases I would even think of drawing this weapon. One where you were put in danger of bodily harm and needed to react. Having a quick auto knife on you could save your life. Perhaps the baton is a little impractical and overkill. It's obvious this topic has been brought up and probably argued about before so let's just forget I mentioned it ok? :D

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Crowbar

Since someone just rear-ended me today, when I get my rear bumper upgraded to the 2nd gen one and re-painted, I am going to get the 48" crowbar I keep in the back set painted to match the car.

I can't wait to see the look on the persons face who ever does anything shitty to my car when I pull that mo-fo out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
2 Items

1. A stainless steel guide rod out of an old DEC line printer (about 20" long and 3/8" (or so) thick.) Usually kept between center console and passenger seat.

2. Glock 26. Usually kept concealed on person or in very short reach when in a less-than-savory neighborhood or long trips.

Am I some fruitcake looking for trouble? No. Would I rather just ignore someone because it's not worth it? Of course.

Peace of mind, baby. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Lee

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Re: I agree too..

Spliffasaurus said:
I agree with that, but I'm talking about a worst case scenario here. Say you're parked and someone smashes your driver side window and grabs you. There's really no way to escape from that situation. That is one of the only cases I would even think of drawing this weapon. One where you were put in danger of bodily harm and needed to react. Having a quick auto knife on you could save your life. Perhaps the baton is a little impractical and overkill. It's obvious this topic has been brought up and probably argued about before so let's just forget I mentioned it ok? :D
Sure there is. You're not thinking thoroughly Spliff.

If you have hesitated long enough to allow them close to your car, for whatever reason, why didn't you just put the car in gear and start rolling?

most people won't hold onto a car as it starts to move.

And if they STILL won't let go, no baton is going to help really. To use a melee weapon like that, requires an arc of delivery, not possible from inside a car. You can't really raise your arm inside a car, and deliver any kind of blow that will do anything.

If you're worried about that kind of situation, then a stun gun would best be served inside your center console.

It's easy to reach from either side, and can force someone to release their grip on you, if reaching through a window.

It's also considered a non offensive weapon, as it can't properly be used in offense, unless by a highly trained person.

A HUGE part of self defense and survival in hostile environments, is either avoiding the environment altogether first, or, if immersion is required, finding tactically acceptable levels at which defense can be administered.

Your actions should always be used to defend and allow retreat. NEVER to provoke, or display 'machismo' and defend pride. If you do, you've defeated the whole purpose of self defense at that point; instead, they call it assualt.

Elton

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
I agree, you need to avoid the situation. Last night at Columbia Daily Tribune, one of the employee's got off of work late to find 2 guys breaking into his car. (i assume taking his system) It got out of hand and the 2 guys ended up beating the guy to death. They found him this morning in the parking lot in a puddle of blood. A car is not worth the risk of life by any means. If your that worried about someone stealing stuff get a sickening loud alarm system, and if your worried about them taking your car, find your fuel pump hot wire, run it under your seat and put a switch on it. When you have it off, your car will start for a few seconds, then die. Just dont risk your life as determaning the actions of another human being will never be possible. Always use common sense
-Jess

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Uh. I think you can only use deadly force in certain situations. To protect your car prolly isnt one of them.

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Glock 19 with 2 clips and various types of ammo. hehehe. Passenger usually packing as well. Wife(Ex) always carries also.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts