Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Anti-Member
306 Posts
I had the same problem when I was taking the engine out of a Mercury Sable. It turns out that a bolt on the starter was holding them together. I know that a Sable is no VR-4, but you might want to check.

·
Beach Bum
1,724 Posts
Remove the motor with the trans attached. It comes out really easy that way. The trans is bolted to the block with several long bolts and then you have to be able to pull the motor away from the trans far enough to clear the input shaft. Much easier just to take out both and take it apart once the motor is on the ground. Edit- oops I guess you did that and now you're just trying to pull them apart. It shoud just be a few bolts. Mine just slid off once I removed the bolts.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Brain,

I think what you are looking for is...

THE INPUT SHAFT.

This is the shaft that comes OUT of the trans, and plugs INTO the clutch assembly. It's long, about 4 inches if I remember correctly. About 1.5 inches goes INTO the clutch. So you have to create a gap about that wide.

It's been a month of so since we swapped my trans, so I don't remember exactly, but if you've removed the starter, and all the necessary bolts, then the only thing that would prevent the engine from going up, is that shaft.

Good luck dude.

Elton

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
remove the engine and tranny combo!

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
If I'm not mistaken I believe there is 6 17mm bolts
that hold the bell housing to engine.

If you have it off a 1/2 inch all around (bell housing)
it should fall off. :cool:

·
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone... unfortunatley I got it off before seeing the suggestions.. I just put my feet on the engine mounts and pulled it of using my legs... came right off.. of course I had it in my lap then :D

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Transmission bolts

The transmission bolts to the engine in 3 places.

1. The bolts on the top of the transmission into the engine.

2. There transmission stays bolt to the engine and transmission.

3. There are 2 bolts through the engine mount brackets that bolt into the transmission. They are above the transmsions stays.

The other problem you might be having is the throughout bearing snaps onto the clutch pivot arm. I had to pry my transmission off gently. And then not so gently The transmission come off with a loud pop! I though I had broken something, maybe I did ? but I replaced the throughout bearing when I replaced the clutch so there was no problems.

When I installed the engine I installed it with the transmission attached. I would suggest trying that.

:rolleyes: I just noticed you got the trans out. already, congradulations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts