Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happend to the 3000gt to make it lose its value so much, if these cars were sold at sticker for $30k+ awhile back what made these modern sports cars go for the same price range as a early 80s model volvo.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I think their price is what lead to their demise. If you were going to pay the $35,000-$45,000 for a sports car you could probably afford to shell out another $10,000-$20,000 and buy a Supra or a Viper, both of which were better known. I blame the Viper especially for phasing out the Stealth. When you bought a VR-4 you could say you had Mitsu's TOP OF THE LINE car, but the Stealth was overshadowed by the Viper.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The VR-4 and Supra TT was priced just about the same, at ~$45k new in the last few years of production.

Its going to take a bit more than that to buy a new Viper. :p

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Mitsusl said:
The VR-4 and Supra TT was priced just about the same, at ~$45k new in the last few years of production.

Its going to take a bit more than that to buy a new Viper. :p
but like i said, if you could afford a $45,000 new car then you could probably afford a $65,000 new Viper as well (I'm pretty sure the early vipers sold in the 60k range. Hell even in 2002 I saw several in the 70k range new).
I read on several websites that the reason given for the end of the Stealths was the 'lack of a market for a midrange-priced sports car" or something.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Senlur said:

but like i said, if you could afford a $45,000 new car then you could probably afford a $65,000 new Viper as well (I'm pretty sure the early vipers sold in the 60k range. Hell even in 2002 I saw several in the 70k range new).
I read on several websites that the reason given for the end of the Stealths was the 'lack of a market for a midrange-priced sports car" or something.
Although it might make sense to you, your reasoning is flawed. Its like saying if a person could have gotten a $15k care then they could have gotten a $30k car. Obviously they stayed at a certain price range for a reason. It might have been driven by priorities instead of need but it doesn't hold much water. I can see it havin to do with lack of market though because VR-4's never sold enough either.

·
Norcal 3S! Norcal3S.com
1,069 Posts
3000gt/stealth demise

It all boils down to lack of sales. They weren't selling like they did when they were the new hot comodity. Also consider the "attack of the SUV's" if you know what I mean lol. A sales manager talked about this to me a while back at mitsu and said its a typical pattern and as you can see now the sports cars are starting to come back. I doubt you will see a new 3/S but its a trend of whats in demand more or less.

Matt

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Ajabs said:

Although it might make sense to you, your reasoning is flawed. Its like saying if a person could have gotten a $15k care then they could have gotten a $30k car. Obviously they stayed at a certain price range for a reason. It might have been driven by priorities instead of need but it doesn't hold much water. I can see it havin to do with lack of market though because VR-4's never sold enough either.
Actually it is your reasoning that is flawed. "Staying in a certain price range for a reason" is something that a person does if they're on a budget (ie, paying $15,000 for a car). Someone is less likely to be on a "budget" if they are shelling out 45,000 for a car in the first place. Personally if I had the money to blow on a $40,000+ Stealth I'd just hold off for a year or two until I could afford the MUCH MORE IMPRESSIVE $60,000+ Viper.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying my logic is flawed and then agree that it was the lack of market that killed the Stealth. It's the same thing. The PRICE RANGE has a lot to do with the market. Nobody wanted to be $40,000 for a sports car when there were many others (the Viper included) within the same market that were attractiing a lot more attention.

·
Registered
292 Posts
In business and marketing you will learn that no matter what, people have shown over and over again that the bottom line is price. People looking for a car in the 40k price range are as much on a budget as people in the 15k price range. It doesn't vary with wealth.

The reason for their demise has been stated over and over again to be market demand because not enough people were willing to shell out 45k for the vr4 and the base and SL were not bringing in a profit.

There are different markets for everyone but by having base and middle models at such different price ranges, car makers sometimes fall in the trap of trying to please too many people and grab too many buyers. Mitsubishi got a little bit of each market instead of focusing on marketing a vr-4 in the luxury or performance market alone. Or they could have chosen to simply make only base models and catered to a different market almost like integras, preludes, etc...

In the end, if you were going to pay 40k for a car, thats what you were going to pay! The wallet doesn't suddenly stretch and give rich people more leeway!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Ajabs said:
In business and marketing you will learn that no matter what, people have shown over and over again that the bottom line is price. People looking for a car in the 40k price range are as much on a budget as people in the 15k price range. It doesn't vary with wealth.

The reason for their demise has been stated over and over again to be market demand because not enough people were willing to shell out 45k for the vr4 and the base and SL were not bringing in a profit.

There are different markets for everyone but by having base and middle models at such different price ranges, car makers sometimes fall in the trap of trying to please too many people and grab too many buyers. Mitsubishi got a little bit of each market instead of focusing on marketing a vr-4 in the luxury or performance market alone. Or they could have chosen to simply make only base models and catered to a different market almost like integras, preludes, etc...

In the end, if you were going to pay 40k for a car, thats what you were going to pay! The wallet doesn't suddenly stretch and give rich people more leeway!
I am not speaking about car shoppers that go out shopping with a price range in MIND. I doubt most people who were driving around new Stealths, Supras, Vettes, etc, were thinking "I only want to spend (insert amount) on my crazy expensive sports car" to begin with.

We're both looking at this from two different angles when thinking of marketing. You say that everyone is on a budget and you seem to be saying that every car shopper goes out and buys the most expensive car they can afford. I'm saying that if someone can afford to buy a very expensive car then they can probably also afford to buy a car that's a bit more expensive, and if they're really out to get a flashy car then they're more likely to be attracted to the more expensive but flashier can than the cheaper but less known one. The same is true for a cheaper car! If someone can afford to buy a $20,000 car they can probably also afford to buy a $30,000 car. It's not like there is some big black line drawn across what people can afford. Most people don't just drop the cash on the table when they buy a car, they take out loan with monthly payments.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't want to get into titles and my SAT and my gpa and my job title this that and blah blah.. It seems we're both sticking to our guns so it doesn't pay to keep jockeying back and forth so feel free to respond but after this I am done... That said, if other people want to chime in go ahead but I am done.

My original premise still stands in response to your original statement :

I think their price is what lead to their demise. If you were going to pay the $35,000-$45,000 for a sports car you could probably afford to shell out another $10,000-$20,000 and buy a Supra or a Viper, both of which were better known. I blame the Viper especially for phasing out the Stealth. When you bought a VR-4 you could say you had Mitsu's TOP OF THE LINE car, but the Stealth was overshadowed by the Viper.
Using your point that when people go out to buy a car they might not have a budget. Rather they might be looking for speed or traction or flashiness or whatever. But in the end as badly as you want that viper that fits your needs exactly you just might not be able to afford it. You seem to be hitting on the flexibility of the wallet and how you get "what you want" in the end. But you don't.. You get what you can afford or you end up handing the car back in to the dealership or creditors within a few months when you default on the loan. There is a huge black line and its called money and it rules the world. Thats why people have different clothing, houses, cars, priveleges etc. As much as you want things, you can't always have 'em.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Ajabs said:
I don't want to get into titles and my SAT and my gpa and my job title this that and blah blah.. It seems we're both sticking to our guns so it doesn't pay to keep jockeying back and forth so feel free to respond but after this I am done... That said, if other people want to chime in go ahead but I am done.

Using your point that when people go out to buy a car they might not have a budget. Rather they might be looking for speed or traction or flashiness or whatever. But in the end as badly as you want that viper that fits your needs exactly you just might not be able to afford it. You seem to be hitting on the flexibility of the wallet and how you get "what you want" in the end. But you don't.. You get what you can afford or you end up handing the car back in to the dealership or creditors within a few months when you default on the loan. There is a huge black line and its called money and it rules the world. Thats why people have different clothing, houses, cars, priveleges etc. As much as you want things, you can't always have 'em.
I agree that neither is giving, so it's pointless to keep debating it. I do agree that if you cannot AFFORD more than 45k then obviously you aren't gonna pay more than that, but my point has not been toward those buyers - it's toward the buyers who were shopping for a sports car, not for a sports car in the 45k price range.

You said you were done then after that kept on going about it. That's almost as bad as my editing my previous post over and over trying to get it worded right. ;)

Anyway, I agree that it's pointless to keep going on about this. You have a point, and I have a point. I almost feel like we were talking about two different things (people who are shopping within a price range and people who aren't limited to the 45k range), so we definitely aren't going anywhere with this. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Norcal 3S! Norcal3S.com
1,069 Posts
3/S vs New View

Look on the good side. And all the other Major jap manufacturerers should fuss up to this as well. Atleast out of all the jap supercars including the nissan 300zx twin turbo, rx7 twin turbo, supra twin turbo, even the dodge stealth twin turbo..courtesy of mitsu..obviously chystler pulled the plug early(enter the avenger...i guess)..Mitsubishi was the only maker to stick with their guns with the 99 3000gt vr4 and the 99 eclipse gsx until the end of the century (they knew it was on its way out because of technology and sales for the most part) vs the other auto makers. Thats gotta show for something. Shows the end of their era and of a new legend to be started . Lets just hope that its done well by the new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 and hopefully another super car that mitsu decides to come out with to comepete with the supposedly Toyota 5000GT/supra in 2005/. Who knows(all speculation at this point) but I know for sure there's gonna be another supra/rx7,300zx,3000gt,etc(not actual model) class like before maybe faster( or just as fast), more markatable, and probabaly sell more(the technology then is cheaper now). I know its just talk now..no one knows the names..but it will happen. No matter what maker..its just a matter of time..its a competing process all over again. Just like back in the early 90's..its a trend, pattern. Hopefully the SUV'S will die out for now!"Let just hope Mitsu competes more than with just the evo but with a full sized twin turbo or turbo(maybe supercharged) v8 car that can race/compete with the best of the new breads of cars that the market has to offer. Enough rambling, blabbing..sorry..just vending..went to the international auto show in San Francisco today so it made me by far more want to keep my 3/S because it just reminds me how original it is.!!!! Most of the cars look like toys except for the viper GTS-R ughh...gimmy toilet paper, Lamborghingi Murcielago..omg 4 throttle bodys..and the girls at the saturn booth..that was enough..lol..anyway we had a good time and just giving my points over all. All opinions/comments are respected as you have your own views and opinions. I just wanted to state mine.

Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.