Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm going to answer this myself here ya go check out the link.. it's in mp3 format so better quality sound compressed. I didn't have enough room to hit 3rd gear because was done in city. I think you will hear that you can chirp in 2nd gear if you shift right, with effective mods. I didn't do it every time because I didn't try to, also because there was a cop in front of me that I had to slow quickly after 2nd on the chirp
. Let me know what ya think..?

BTW, the file is long 1.2Mb mp3

<A HREF="ftp://ftp.enteract.com/users/mitola/vr4/vr4accel.mp3">vr4accel.mp3</A>

Mario 94 VR-4

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 10, 1999).]

D

·
0 Posts
Am i hearing your BOV on throttle release? Which BOV are you using?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
What I hear when shiftig in 2nd is a light bog. If a tire chirps then only one of the front ones. This is because our cars sit down to the ass when accelerating without stronger springs and we do not have limited slip diff in the front. Also this happens due to the fact power is not transfered to the rear that quick ! You can get all four loose but this is only possible with light wet roads.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lord_dvd is right Doug, HKS. The only problem with that type of BOV is it releases to atmosphere and you get more of a rich mixture of fuel because the air isn't re-circulated, but at the same time it sounds nice
. I’m gonna try and get a hose to vent it back through the air intake. So, what do you guys think nice tone..? Can you guess the exhaust brand to? I didn't go through all this trouble to record it and not have a response on the sound hehe
Let me know guys. Thanks!

BTW, If anyone else has some recordings, I would like to hear to compare some things and please list your mods..

Mario 94 VR-4

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
Mario,
Is that a Borla? The low rumble exhaust.

C

·
0 Posts
This may sound stupid, but how did you go about making that mp3? After hearing that I want to make one!!! lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JEEPers, It's an HKS Super Drager exhaust. I personally like the Super Drager note

Curtis, this was not an easy task, because of the fine tuning the mic and wearing headphones while driving to make sure no distortion. I used a mini-disc recording with a microphone and the sound quality was amazing! It picked up the slightest noise with such a distinction. I wouldn't use something like a speech recorder which is commonly used in college. The quality is too tinny.

Roger, is that a compliment or are you stating that it's common to "chirp" in a VR-4 running 12's (stock turbos @ 14.5PSI)? I understand that a "chirp" means a break of traction and not necessarily good, but also could mean more power is being put to the dry pavement to be able to break traction on a VR-4. A light bog noise is probably because of my BOV.. isn't that microphone picking up the sounds of the car well? You should be able to hear a "chirp" in 1st - 2nd gear shift on the first run. I guess I thought it was a sign of a good quick shift and good power to pavement, on the negative side a loss of traction. I guess it comes down to .. "chirp" good or no good? It sure feels good
! BTW, I don't mean these questions to come across impolite, I just trying to understand where your coming from.

BTW, can anyone else put up some sounds of there car through gears.

Well, thank you for all of your replies! I hope you all enjoyed.. if you want to hear more I have extended versions, as well as motor compartment sounds w/BOV and idle exhaust sounds.

Mario 94 VR-4

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 11, 1999).]

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
> HKS Super Drager exhaust.

Sounds great, almost like the Borla !

> Roger, is that a compliment or are you stating that it's common to "chirp" in a VR-4 running 12's (stock turbos @ 14.5PSI)?

It's more a statement, because some people really think that you can get all tires loose when whifting in 2nd. No offend broh, but for this you need more torque and ... you'll probably brake the tranny before the tires brake out. I doubt that I'm in the 12s with 17psi now but torque is great and I also can get a small chirp. But only in first and definitely not when shifting in 2nd as power is distributed to all wheels.

I had a problem about 2 1/2 years ago where I wanted to accellerate soemwhat quick and the steering wheel wanted to brake out like hell. I got horrible wheel spin on the right front wheel and felt no pushing from the rear. I had to go off the gas to get some traction. Checking the stuff out a month later gave a totally worn output shaft ... i.e. I drove a TT FWD for some weeks and even when accellerating hard in third I felt the car feels abnormal.

> You should be able to hear a "chirp" in 1st - 2nd gear shift on the first run.

Yes, I can hear it and it's one of the fronts until the power is taken away from them. The pfffft sound is damn quick and the BOV closes very quick. Good shiting for sure and the little bog is maybe only letting the clutch go too quick before the rpm came down.

You say quick shift .. 6-seed right ?

> "chirp" good or no good? It sure feels good ! BTW, I don't mean these questions to come across rude, I just trying to understand you right.

In my point of view, any loose tire on a car when launching is not good. Loosing traction can mean loosing the game. I guess you are still running the stock springs and the car sits back a little. Accel sounds very good and it was not going uphill, right ? As said, I can get chirping as well, especially if the turn is not yet finished. Especially then the inner wheel chirps and the car tends to understeer for a second, or the time of the chirp. And hey, I don't feel offended at all as my posts do not always look good because English is not my language.

For the recording, I planned to get my MD Recorder next week. What do you recommend and have you had an external mic (I guess so). I think you guys would love to hear the sound of the SUS filter

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>Yes, I can hear it and it's one of the fronts until the power is taken away from them.

Yes, I'm sure it's not all 4 coming loose just the front, your right.

>Good shiting for sure and the little bog is maybe only letting the clutch go too quick before the rpm came down. You say quick shift .. 6-seed right ?

Thank you and yes your probably right that I let the clutch go too quick b4 rpm came down. I wasn't focusing on my shifting as much as I could have, I should try it again to make the shifts better and try a launch in there too
.. I guess I'm a perfectionist
and yes 6 speed but my synchros are just about done need to get that fixed next.

>I guess you are still running the stock springs

unfortunately Yes.

>Accel sounds very good and it was not going uphill, right ?

Yes, not uphill, just a somewhat level street downtown Chicago, about as level as chicago streets get

>As said, I can get chirping as well, especially if the turn is not yet finished.

Yes I know what you mean, but I was definitely straight when I did it and have done it many times before on straight aways
. I think, it's the ACT clutch grabbing hard enough for that little front loss of traction.

>I don't feel offended at all as my posts do not always look good because English is not my language.

Roger, I guess I'm just an emotional Italian
and assume the other is going be as emotional as well hehe, Anyway, my parents speak 5 languages fluently and I have several I can somewhat speak, so I totally respect that!

>What do you recommend & have you had an external mic (I guess so). I think you guys would love to hear the sound of the SUS filter

Well, any MD will produce just about the same quality(so you pick which you like most), the mic is going to be limited to a ribbon microphone which is not powered and it is external, although you may be able to get away with using a condenser mic with a pre amp. You should be able to get away with using a semi-cheap one w/foam to prevent the wind noise from distorting. I would love to hear the Blitz SUS filter as well, especially on MD! BTW, If your sound card has digital in you can keep the signal from degrading even more. I hope this helps!

1 question.. Do you know how much quarter mile timewise (roughly), the aftermarket springs make?

oh, and thanks for the post I feel my recording was worth something now hehe.

Mario

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 11, 1999).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts