Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I graduate I would like to get one of these cars.
1. 300M
2. 3000GT base, SL, or VR4
3. Transam
4. WRX
5. Avenger

300M looks like a really nice car but more for old people. 3000GT nice overall just expensive up keep. Transam, cool but I'll kill myself in the winter I bet. WRX good everything. Avenger, cheap and looks good but no balls.

Anyone drive a 300M before? Hows the engine? Handling? Can it be tricked out a little for the younger crowed?

Probably still get the 3000GT but I do still kinda like the 300M...if it only had a stick...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Go SL for your GT. Then add to the collection.

When I graduate, I'm gonna insure the GT as a leisure car and go for a brand new Jaguar S-Type (creme leather interior with wood grain would hit the spot nicely:D )

300M's are gorgeous cars in my opinion, especially with large chrome wheels and tricked out interiors. I'm not sure what to do with it to make it appeal to a younger audience, cause it is a luxury family car. I would just drive it and not give a rats ass what anyone thinks, its still a pimp ride.

WRX looks like a piece of crap. Part of what i want out of a car is image (hey, at least I admit to my arrogance!;) ,) and the Subaru just doesn't go over well with the ladies.

TransAms are cool but way way too common. At least in Dallas, every Tom Dick and Harry (and their spoiled highschoolers) have a WS6.

Don't waste your time with an Avenger. The Sebring Lxi's are much more comfortable and look better, but with these cars, relatively high cost, all show, no go. 160hp engine is a joke. And reliability is not good.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, probably get the 3KGT first because they don't make them any more. I'm sure the 300M will be around for a while. Good call.

Still wonder what a tricked out 300M would look like though ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mental picture:

Red 300M with white viper stripes
20" White wheels + bicycle tires
Dropped 2"
Dual softball diameter exhaust
Yellow Powered by VTEC stickers with matching wiper blades
Huge ass racing wing

Is that a tricked out 300M or what?? Based on the sickness I've witnessed at my school involving typical rice cars, neons, and even VW bugs, I now believe that anything is possible.
:eek:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
redrocket said:
Mental picture:

Red 300M with white viper stripes
20" White wheels + bicycle tires
Dropped 2"
Dual softball diameter exhaust
Yellow Powered by VTEC stickers with matching wiper blades
Huge ass racing wing

Is that a tricked out 300M or what?? Based on the sickness I've witnessed at my school involving typical rice cars, neons, and even VW bugs, I now believe that anything is possible.
:eek:
Enough rice to keep Africa fed for years.:D

And yeah, Avenger's don't have enough balls. I'm going to rack in a kill on my friend's Avenger in a few days if he doesn't stop talking about it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
From my experience, the 300M is beautiful, but as you say, somewhat tame for a younger person, a bitch to park, has a great interior, and absolutley brutal acceleration (i.e. slow like a station wagon), but once it gets going, its quite smooth and quiet at highway speeds. I dont think you'd be happy with it a year later. Go for a 3000Gt or Sebring. Sure they may be a bitch to mantain, but you gotta have those "I was broke and my car died out so I...."stories while you're young. It gives you character!

·
Crazy Member
592 Posts
I went from a Stealth RT/TT to a WRX in a round about way... very nice cars both of em. Of course, the Rex' is new, so it had less problems.

Something you mentioned above, about the upkeep of a TT 3/S, I bet it's less than my nearly $500 car payment per month on the new WRX :)

Yea, a new car is nice, but you still end up paying somehow. I wish I still had my stealth, maybe someday soon a newer one, if our economy ever comes back up.

PS: My wife and her friends LOVE the wrx... think it's cute (hey, they are women, what do we understand? haha). So it can't be that ugly now is it? It's better than some of the other crap they pass off as cars now-a-days :) I bought it for performance, reliability, and AWD, and 4 doors so maybe it would be a little more useful than the rest of my 4-5, 2 door, coupes ahaha! :p

·
THE MAN, THE AMERICAN
2,015 Posts
truwarrior22 said:
Probably still get the 3000GT but I do still kinda like the 300M...if it only had a stick...
I have heard nothing but great about the 300M. Yeah, it's geared for a slightly older crowd, if it's a big deal get an Intrepid R/T. Same powertrains.

I beleive the 300M and Intrepid R/T can both have the Auto-Stick. A clutchless manual isn't as fun as a full manual, but you'd like it when you're stuck in rush hour traffic.

I just don't like WRXs. Trans Am is awfully specialty for the kinda cash involved. An Avenger would probably leave you wishing you'd gotten a 3/S. 300M ( & Intrepid )is sedan, excellent luxury inside and out, moves along decently, but it is what it is.

Tough choices, I'm surpised, you really covered the bases, New, Used, Performance, Affordability, Luxury. I'd think that it'd all come down to what of those you value most.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The 3/s will give you enough in the performance department. :D But, in the end, I would say go with the WRX. It is one thing to complain about car payments, and a completely different thing to complain that your car is in the shop the whole time. You're broke in both cases, but in the first, you have your car to drive every day, at least. I for one know that I am starting to get really annoyed at having my car in the shop all of the time.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had an avenger before I got my 3000 and while I loved how my car looked, the auto transmission and lack of power really got to me. the 4 cyl stick is faster then the 6 cyl auto!!!! You would regret not buying the 3000 over the avenger. Though I still like avengers.

The trans-am would be fun, but then again, winter would def pose a problem.

I love the WRX. It's got that great combination of turbo and AWD. I like the looks of them and they make a good street sleeper. You will get more looks in the 3000 from the ladies, but the performance is so nice. Looks can always be improved on.

300M? what are you thinking? you will not get noticed in that car at all. I like the car and it's nice, but you're too young to own that car. It's an older persons car. Too much money IMO.

Go with the 3000 or WRX.

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
truwarrior22 said:
When I graduate I would like to get one of these cars.
1. 300M
2. 3000GT base, SL, or VR4
3. Transam
4. WRX
5. Avenger

300M looks like a really nice car but more for old people. 3000GT nice overall just expensive up keep. Transam, cool but I'll kill myself in the winter I bet. WRX good everything. Avenger, cheap and looks good but no balls.

Anyone drive a 300M before? Hows the engine? Handling? Can it be tricked out a little for the younger crowed?

My fiance and I (blackwydow) test drove most of the cars you've listed. The 300M was a nice ride and pretty competent on the highway. Sure it doesnt have the power of a VR4 but it was nice for a sedan. We took out a Deville STS afterwards and the 300M didnt seem quite as nice ;) I kinda wanted the 300, she didnt like some of the ergonomics, so we keep looking for another daily driver. I thought if we put in a supercharger (and there is room for one) it would haul some serious ass.

We also took out a WRX. That was a fun little car. It was a pleasure to drive, but it was smaller then we want to get.

Obviously, we have our VR4s so they are top on the list, but they dont qualify for a mid to large size 4 door sedan that we are looking for.

With the VR4s we dont need a transam and the Avenger just doesn't look all that good to me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What about the new 2-door Stratus RT/Avenger:rolleyes:? It's got 36 more HP than the Avenger ES, plus it's pretty roomy for a coupe.

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
I'd go with a modified VR4. There are some nice ones for sale on the board.

·
Registered
27 Posts
3000GT

i think you should get a 3000GT first. the VR-4's are hot but you should pick any 3000GT model you want. yeah, they don't make the 3000GT's no more:( so they are getting harder and harder to find. if you like the 300M alot you can just save up enough money and get it. then you can own two sweet cars.:D the Avenger's are nice looking and kinda look like a 1994-1995 Dodge Stealth from the back but they don't got too much power.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Yeah, 3/s cars are becoming rarer by the day. I think we lost two or three last week alone! (Via posts on the board saying that they wrecked their car). So, picking up one of these is getting harder and harder all of the time!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thinking about it even more, maybe you should go with an RSX. It's right in the middle of all these cars performance wise and it kinda looks like a neon (dodge) with 300M headlights.;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
RSX

RSX 6-speeds got transmision problems. Check up on it for yourself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts