Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously had 265/35 ZR18 tires on 18x9 wheels. The 265 mm was a perfect width for the 9" wide wheel. But now I'm getting an 8.5" wide wheel and I want to stick with the same brand, size, and style tire. Do you think it will look funky and alot different without that extra 1/2 inch? The reason being that the tires are cheap $$(Sumitomo HTR ZII),good,and very attractive. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems, as I've seen 275's on stock wheels. Bear in mind that while you are losing 1/2" on total width, you halve that per side (remember the tire centers itself on the wheel), so the wheel is only getting 1/4" narrower per side. I will probably not even notice.

EricB

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,950 Posts
I ran 275/40/17 on 17x8.5 rims for several years without any problems. The side wall bulge actually protected the rims from curb damage. Are you really sure you want the Sumitomo tires? The are listed as a sport SEDAN tire.

PS I just upgraded to Enkei RPO1 wheels and staggered the setup with 245/40/18 (18x8.5) fronts and 275/35/18 (18x9.5) rears with Nitto 555 Extreme tires. Original 91TT wheels are now for sale.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I actually liked the Sumitomos alot. They were very good in roadholdong and in wet conditions too. Plus I have this friend who has stolen my whole 3KGT identity almost exactly, only he has Nitto 555 Extreme. And I know the Nittos have a higher treadwear rating. Tempting. But, I don't want to go there. Plus I like the look of the HTR ZII tread design better. Just my opinion. Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts