Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In God We Trust
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My strut/shocks need to be replaced on my 95' 3kgt (base) soon. Has anyone used Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable strut/shocks. according to the ad, they can be adjusted with a screw driver from a soft, smooth ride to a hard, tight performance ride. Since I use my car as a daily driver-yet, still like to race on the weekends...I figure this would be perfect! They're a little expensive, but from what I hear, they're worth it.

I've also heard that KYB's are good, too. I hope to do this soon--atleast before winter comes. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
I don't think Tockico makes ones that fit on our car... :(

KYB and Tien seem to be the only alternative...

GAB makes them as well, but they are hard to get or maybe even out of business...

·
14 psi on tap
112 Posts
i think i too need to replace my struts, etc. on my '92 stealth TT. My dash ECS lights sometimes flicker/ go out totally and the ride goes to the default Sport mode. Assuming they do need to be replaced, would it be best to go with factory replacements (i'm betting these are mucho $$) or something aftermarket. i don't suppose there are any aftermarket ones that let us keep our ECS, are there? This is a daily driver year round and, of course, money IS an issue.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Under Pressure said:
i think i too need to replace my struts, etc. on my '92 stealth TT. My dash ECS lights sometimes flicker/ go out totally and the ride goes to the default Sport mode. Assuming they do need to be replaced, would it be best to go with factory replacements (i'm betting these are mucho $$) or something aftermarket. i don't suppose there are any aftermarket ones that let us keep our ECS, are there? This is a daily driver year round and, of course, money IS an issue.
The Dash light flashes because the wires are probably going bad or the plugs are loose. Pop up the hood and remove the rubber caps that cover the tops of the struts. Check out the wires in there and make sure they are all good! That will fix your flashing light problem!

As far as replacement struts, you can buy the KYB GR2 replacements for ~$70 each and throw them on your car. They are not quite as stiff as sport mode, but not as light as tour mode, they do not allow you to adjust using the switch, no more ECS :( You can buy Factory replacements for around $100 each if you shop around at some of the places that give 3si members a discount! These might be your best bet! I would throw on some Intrax or Eibach springs at the same time, it'll lower your car and give it better handling, you can pick up a set for around $200 online!

·
Registered
466 Posts
tokiko has to, i know a guy that has them on his, at least NPOI sold them to him as being for his car. they ride rough as hell but give great performance, personally, when i lower my car, i'm going to get those as the KYB's are supposedly really bouncy

·
14 psi on tap
112 Posts
thanks JagdStealth and lostboi,
yeah, i tried looking at the wires for the front struts, and the wires look good and are secure in the block that they are wired into. i have yet to try the computer code, hopefully that will show exactly what is wrong.
i would love to lower my car too, but living in south dakota, i am fearful of how low it already is. Ice chunks would have a field day with my front bumper :( Thanks for the strut info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts