Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know our cars are officially classified as "Grand Touring" cars, but I guess my main question is do the VR-4/TT's fall into the "supercar" class? I've seen a lot of references to them as such on these boards and on a few websites, but I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Yeah, they fall into the same catagory as the Supra, RX-7 and 300ZX as mentioned as above. You also could through in the Skyline also, if you wanted. ;)

If you are comparing it to a domestic we would rank with the Vette.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
as far as i have heard they are not in the GT or "Grand Touring" or "gran Turismo" (where GT really comes from, it is italian) class, they were misnamed in the american version. if you look in japan they are called what they really are, GTO. this stands for gran turismo oranawa or something along those lines. i allways forget the third word and what it means. but it is still GTO class even though the o word's english translation does not begin with an o i believe. that is why i said earlier that the GT name comes from the italian words, not the english translation of grand touring. it is just a coincidance that the words are cognates and therefore start with the same letters. this is what i have heard.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
GTO = gran turismo omolgato or something.

class: id say F stock, B street prepared, or street modified (SM):)

·
Registered
695 Posts
in italian, "gran turismo omologato" simply means "homologated grand tourer". with that in mind, i believe we would be in the grand touring class, however, our cars are commonly associated with the japanese supercars class.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
yea, that sounds correct.

jesus i was really far off there:conf2:

i am going to repeat that word a bunch now because i allways get it wrong every time this issue comes up:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.