Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my tranny rebuilt/replaced a year ago, and right off the bat it was already leaking. THey used the same case or whatever you call it, and changed the internals, and just painted the case. I think I remember them telling me afterwards. The initial problem was some cover on the side facing the PS wheel that was leaking, cause he said someone tried ot pry it off with a screw driver, saying someone who did my oil change messed with it, but they were the last people to mess with my car. Well, that got fixed, but every once in awhile I'd see some fluid dripping and see a puddle on top of the tranny, but that was usually after some hard driving and I think I may have over filled it a little, since I just filled it to the fill hole, and I've been told fluid will come out of the breather on the top under this situation. About 6 months ago, I put in Redline MTL and MT-90, and noticed I had a little crack on the fill plug, and just used some JB weld around it and covered the whole rim of the plug with gasket sealer, and it hasn't leaked form there yet.
I jsut got a rebuild done from GTPro right before I left Cali to drive to FL, and i had to stop at 500 miles to get an oil change. I had to stop at a Po-dunk place, and while changing my oil, he asked why my oil was red. I damn near freaked out. HE drained my tranny on accident. I had about 1/2 a quart of my MTL/MT-90 mix in my trunk, and they filled the rest of it with Chrysler Tranny fluid. Everything was cool, and about 5000 miles later, I noticed a significant drip form my tranny, and decided to change the fluid to Royal Purple and check the crack in the fill plug. THe fill plug was good, but when I tried ot put the drain plug back it, I noticed the treads on the tranny side of the plug was stripped to hell. After about 10 minutes of swearing, I decided to rig the plug. I got some teflon sealant to put around the plug, cause it will screw in enough not to come out, but was still loose, and used some of the copper gasket maker to put all around the plug. I checked the plug last ngiht, and it's holding just fine with no leaks at all. But while I was changing out the tranny fluid, I noticed it was dripping from the Transfer case. This was were I noticed the significant drip from in the first place. I know the tranfercase wasn't leaking because GTPro put Royal purple in it, and the fluid on it was tinted red, signifying it was from the Redline in the transaxle. After I filled it with Royal Purple, I noticed it was leaking from between the transaxle and the transfer case. IT was probably dripping about once every 30 seconds, but last night it left a pretty big puddle under the car, showing it's starting to leak alot more. I called GTPro, and Brian and Manny had left for the day, so I talked to Aaron. He said there is one seal that could be leaking on the input shaft, and gave me some generic directions on how to take it out. I think I could probably change this out myself, but if this isn't the case, what else could be wrong with the tranny? Probably a crack somewhere in this area? I guess I jsut need to know if there is anyway to just change the casing for the transaxle and keep my internal parts without having to buy a whole new tranny, since mine is pretty much all jacked up. I do not want to buy a new 5 speed tranny after just paying for one a year ago. If I had to buy a new tranny, I would go for the 6speed swap, but I want to hold off a little while longer before I do that to get some more money and not be so much in debt. Sorry this is so long, but if anyone has any helpful info on what I could try, or if my tranny is screwed, where I could get the cheapest parts for the conversion. I already know I'll get the transaxle from Kormex for about $2000, and i know where to get a CF drive shaft for $1000, Transfercase for $1300, rear diff for $1275, but if anyone knows where I can get these parts for cheaper, give me a heads up. I'm looking to try to spend under $4000 for the conversion, and I already have money set aside for a clutch and flywheel seperate from this, so those aren't going to be a problem. Thanks for any help.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I just put mine back together after a 2nd gear rebuild. Now mine is leaking from the same place your's is. So I am gonna change that seal and the seal where the drivers side driveshaft goes in. If your bell housing is jacked, you should be able to replace just the case. The case comes apart in 3 sections. You can just replace the section that you need and throw all your internals back in. I have not checked pricing for this but I bet Frank @ Kormex can hook you up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts