Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what can a turbo boost control do for me

I have a 1996 TT which is a total virgin, it has only done 30,000 kilometers, smells like new and has never been driven in the rain.
You can see it at http://www.gotools.com.au\cars.htm
Mitsubishi in Australia sold 115 of these 6 white, the rest Passion Red and the one I have, was shown in Australian motor shows for 2 years, it is number 109 then the CEO's wife drove it and it was sold from a dealer ship .
I am reluclent to start doing things to it and it goes realy well I have tested it with a g-tech and the 0-60mph or 0-100 kph, is 5.7sec. But I would like to put on a manual single stage turbo boost control does anyone know what difference this will make? If everything else is left as is.
You will notice the car has a few more side light than the Ameican ones and the driveing possition is normal compared to the US cars, RHD. The cars were imported and sold here with the lot except for leather trim and sun roof, they were fully optoned, but the price killed them here. An Australian delivered car is worth far more than an imported one from Japan and there are a few of them here. :confused:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am confused on what you mean by turbo boost. You already have turbo boost if you have a TT. Do you mean nitrous?

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I'm also assuming things, by turbo boost I am assuming you mean a boost controller, a normal 96 should be boosting to about 12psi, with a boost controller it will be ok to take it to 14 or 15 without any fuel mods, and that should add about 30 hp to the mix.
I'd recommend a stillen DP, and a Borla exhaust and the EBC, then you should be set for a while. And you'll instantly notice the increase in power once you install the downpipe. A boost controller also offers immediate performance improvement but you have to be careful not to overboost the motor.

Lord Warlock

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Borla exhaust is a dualy with one tip right ? Is there any performance exhaust with 2 tips for our cars I always liked dual tips :) maybe thats why i still have the stock exhaust on the the stealth.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
profit said:
Borla exhaust is a dualy with one tip right ? Is there any performance exhaust with 2 tips for our cars I always liked dual tips :) maybe thats why i still have the stock exhaust on the the stealth.
i know ive seen a bozzspeed exhaust that had the 2 tips on either side. BUT, i think it went for over 1500 bucks!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Alec,

I assume you mean a boost controller. With a MBC, you can raise your boost up higher and get additional HPs. Do you have 13Gs or 9Bs? If 9Bs, you can turn the boost up to 14.5/15psi and still be safe, with 13Gs, I don't think you want to go past 12/13psi on stock fuel.

You are looking at somewhere around 30-40hp gain. Gut the cats/precats and drop in a replacement downpipe and you should get faster turbo spool as well as an additional 20hp or so.

Profit,

The HKS makes a dual tipped replacement, but it has a small pipe size, and is not proven to flow any better than the stock one. You can always have a muffler shop weld on a set of dual tips that you can purchase separately.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a donkey

Boost control, Boost control Boost control, Boost control, Boost control, Boost control, Boost control, Boost control, Boost control,
now I have it right thanks for that....
Why don't some of you bloke put in you 0-60 times etc all this bolt on stuff means nothing untill you show the GO and not the SHOW :ak47:
Alec

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
SpyderVR4 what should it be about 3" piping ?

you mean this one right

Im going to have to research this i want dual tip that adds more air flow :(

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Profit, that's the HKS alright. It looks nice, quad tips and all, but you can forget improving your exhaust flow with it. Look at the design, blech. It's supposed to provide a somewhat better sound than stock, so it might be worth it for that reason, but the HKS quad tip exhaust is mega pricey IIRC.

·
Premium Member
1994 3000GT VR4
1,079 Posts
Since you have a 2nd gen, I don't think a boost controller would be worth the cost, risk, etc. 2 psi isn't all that much, and you'll be pushing the stock setup near max.

·
Nice Bum
556 Posts
profit said:
SpyderVR4 what should it be about 3" piping ?

you mean this one right

Im going to have to research this i want dual tip that adds more air flow :(
I had this exaust for a few years... its one of the worst exaust systems you can get. Barely any more flow over stock and it sounds more quiet than stock.

I saw someone mention the Bozz Speed exaust.. that exaust is sooo bad ass!! damn. If I could do it over, I would get that for sure. Its like $1500 (like he said) but well worth it. Its a turbo back exaust, and it makes our cars a dual exaust car! each turbo has its own exaust side! NO need for a down pipe :). Plus, you get the name Bozz Speed

·
Nice Bum
556 Posts
Um... I just took a look at the car and thats not a TT. doesn't have the active aero front spoiler... or rear spoiler and doesn't say 'Twin Turbo' on the B-pillar.

whats the deal. does anyone disagree?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Alec, you need to do a search on 0-60 times, I've seen you post numerous times about that. Press the "Search" button near the top of the page, and type in 0-60. Nobody much cares about that around here. Stop talking all show and no go. We mostly have go and no show around here. My car will do 0-60 in about 3 seconds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
3 seconds flat?

Hell, I know our AWD is helpful, but wouldn't you need about 800 HP to get to 3 seconds with the weight of our cars.

Even the McClaren takes a tick over 3 to get to 60!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
slasher48 said:
Since you have a 2nd gen, I don't think a boost controller would be worth the cost, risk, etc. 2 psi isn't all that much, and you'll be pushing the stock setup near max.
I beg to differ, a MBC and a aftermarket boost gauge will cost you about $100. And you'll still get about 30-40hp out of it even if you are second gen. Also with a boost gauge you'll usually have better power band than stock (holding higher boost sooner and longer through the RPMs than stock).

It's about the best bang for the buck mod you can get. Almost a free mod. And as long as you don't go past 14.5psi you are very safe with our cars. That has been proven time and again.

Also, any intake/exhaust mod will have additional help when you up the boost.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
leslie said:
3 seconds flat?

Hell, I know our AWD is helpful, but wouldn't you need about 800 HP to get to 3 seconds with the weight of our cars.

Even the McClaren takes a tick over 3 to get to 60!
McLaren F1 LM's have done 0-60 in less than 3 seconds

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No Active anything here in Australia

;) The Australian delivered TT didnt have active areo's at least the 2nd gen ones and I think the cars in the US were without them too at some stage.
It has a few extra side light and blinkers on the side near the front of the door and a white parker in the front bumper and You may notice its driving possition is in the natural RHD position. :eek:
www.gotools.com.au\cars.htm

·
just some guy.
2,573 Posts
yes, that car is very much twin turbo (I have never seen an sl with a rear turbo charge pipe before ;) ). A boost controller would be a good bonus. even though the stock boost setting is 12 psi, the stock ecu doesnt' control it very well, and it falls off a good bit (I think my buddy donnie's car fell to about 8 psi by 5500 rpm on his stock 94).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.