Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want white face gauges from nrauto.com, but I read that you would have to remove the dash to put in the gauge pod overlays. I just need to know how hard it is and how long it took. Also need to know the steps if anyone knows. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
The 3 guages in the speedo cluster (speed, tach, fuel) are relatively easy. There are a couple of screws that you have to take out to get the trim out, and then a few screws holding the guage cluster in place. Once removed you can change the guage faces. I would suggest cutting the existing face so you can change the face without removing the needle so you can retain factory accuracy with the needles (spring loaded). If you do remove the needles be prepared to fight with the needles to get them accurate again.

The other 3 guages (oil pressure, water temp, boost (or amp I think) are a bit harder, although I did remove these faces without removing the needles thankfully. The entire dash must be moved out at the very least to get to them. The steering column must be completely dropped and all the dash screws removed. I removed the glove box, stereo, dropped the steering column (took apart about half the console), removed the factory tweeters, and then removed the dash screws. The dash then moved out about 8 inches or so allowing access to the pod holding those 3 guages (yes, all 3 of them are in 1 pod). Removed the pod from the car and swapped the faces and then replaced it.

Be careful as there are a few tricky places to get the dash back in properly (near the speakers there are holes that have studs that must be inserted). You should really have a service manual (or 3s on cd) because the information is invaluable.

The first 3 guages took about 2 hours (cause of dicking with the needles) but the other 3 took about 10 hours. I was in a place that had great lighting and every tool I could imagine, so given different circumstances it could have been significantly worse

Now for the good news ... They look awesome and it was completely worth it..

Good Luck,

Mark
'93 RT TT

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I did srt of the same thing on my 91 R/T. Except I didn't pay the big bucks for the gauge faces. I painted the bezel around the gauges white. It looks really good because my car is white. I thought that the removal of the gauge cluster was very easy and only took a few minutes. Be careful when you pull out the cluster and don't hit the back of it against anything or slide it across any screw holes because the back of the cluster is a big circut board that is a very thin plastic and could be torn very easily. Another thing to watch out for is when you are removing the clear plastic part over the cluster it might get caught up on the little pole that you push to set the odometer. I had to use a file to sand down the edges a little bit so that the piece would slide over it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts