Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting forged pistons and need to figure how much of a difference there are from the stock clearances to the ones ross recomends... so I was just wondering what the stock clearance was?

·
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock sized.. I felt it wasnt worth the money to bore.. my cylinder walls are in perfect condition so I will hopefully just hone and put in the new pistons... that is if the cylinder to wall clearances work out.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm looking in the service manual and it says the clearence Piston to cylinder is 0.03-0.05mm (0.0012-0.0020 in) Is that what your looking for

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
6g72tt said:
I'm looking in the service manual and it says the clearence Piston to cylinder is 0.03-0.05mm (0.0012-0.0020 in) Is that what your looking for
Not according to Mitsu's engine overhaul manual. The Service Manuals say what 6g72tt quoted, but I would trust the overhaul manual first!

http://www.twingles.com/manualcd/dsmgift/

It says that SOHC and DOHC piston-to-cylinder clearance is 0.008-0.0016", all years.

Your probably safe using the overlap region, 0.0012-0.0016". :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry brainfood, I didn't know those numbers might be incorrect, I was just trying to help you out. I wonder why they would put the wrong numbers in the service manual?? It's good we have our father angel of 3si (Jeff Lucius)

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Caution: If you go to an aftermarket forged piston, you'll need more clearance than listed in the service manual. Ross will recommend ~.006" for moderate power and up to .010" if you boost high and use nitrous.

If you build your engine outside of the aftermarket manufacturers recommendation, you may run into problems.

Also, an oversized piston is almost always the recommended way to go with a bore and hone used to obtain the desired clearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts