Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring my stock wheels (the white painted ones from a 1st gen Stealth)... just needed to know what the wheels are made of (are they all aluminium??)

Also if anyone knows what kind of paint stripper will be the most agressive (easiest) to use without damaging the wheels, please let me know. Slight pitting isn't a big deal since I'm going to be sanding/buffing them anyway (as long as the pitting doesn't WEAKEN the wheels!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I assume they're aluminum alloy. I used a product called Peeler that I got from NAPA. it worked very well.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, cool. Hey, was it really easy or did you end up having to scrape or anything? I'm lazy fyi. I HATE removing paint!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Or use Aircraft Stripper. At any paint store. BUT>>>be very careful, please use approved gloves. Wear goggles too. Get a pin point of the shit on you, and you will wish you were dead. But its the best at removing paint.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I used paint remover in a spray can from Advance Auto Parts. It was a few bucks a can and takes like 1.25 cans per wheel. Very minimal scrubbing - the remover does 99% of the work for you.

Note: This *will* weaken/destroy the valve stem seals so be sure to get new ones!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts