Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was vandalized last month ( 95 vr4 ) and the back active aero spoiler was damaged.

This is my quick question

The insurance company wants to order me the used one from miami parts for 250 bucks and it is in perfect condition and working order, but a new one is 1000 bucks which would bump my estimate up a bit and allow me to use the remaining money back into the vehicle. i. e ...... 99 bumper maybe.

What are my rights in this situation?

Do i have the right to deny a used part with the excuse that this is a problem area of the car?

i also posted the place to buy the spoiler if anyone else wants it in a seperate post.

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks alot and take care

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
You have the absolute right to choose where the parts are coming from.

That said, you can't get an estimate from the dealership for the $1000 part, get a check from the ins company and then buy a cheaper one.

The check from the ins company will either go directly to the dealership OR it will have BOTH your names on it.

The point is, you have a right to get replacement for any part damaged, and you have the absolute right to choose ANY replacement parts you want. You just can't profit from it.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
You have the right to whatever your insurance policy says. The policy is a legal contract.

If the policy says that they are obligated to replace your parts with only new parts, them you're in luck.

If the policy says that they are obligated to replace your parts with bits and pieces they find in the sewer, then, well, you may as well paint your car green.

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Andrew Caple said:
You have the right to whatever your insurance policy says. The policy is a legal contract.
That about says it all. Look at the fine print and see if it says 'new parts' or 'like new' parts. Sometimes they throw those little catches in there...

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Note to the wise.....if the insurance company gives you a check for the new one that you are rightfully entitled to....and they find out you bought the used one anyway...you have just comitted insurance fraud my friend....and then you are looking at criminal charges, civil lawsuits, and never being able to get ANY type of insurance again that you will be able to afford if you can get it at all. If you argue for the new one....with all that is going on with insurance companies today.....your chances of getting followed up on are pretty high.

"but a new one is 1000 bucks which would bump my estimate up a bit and allow me to use the remaining money back into the vehicle. i. e ...... 99 bumper maybe. "

Dude, I really hope you are kidding about that. WHy, because I hear so much pissing and moaning on this board about rediculous auto insurance rates and that is EXACTLY the kind of thing that elevates them and deductibles so much.....fraud. If you want a new spoiler...by all means...use your rights to get one...but your front bumper was not damaged....if you want a replacement, save up the money and buy one...don't contribute to the fraud that is raping the rest of us please.

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
I contacted my insurance co. about this one time and they said that depending on the year of the car, the ins. co. has the right to put used parts on my car b/c new ones would be too expensive. I thought this was bullshit, but you can't really fight these bastards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts