Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come, may brakes are doing that terrible shimmy thing under hard braking, i want to buy some better brakes, maybe not bigger but better. First off, can you guys tell me how big i can upgrade before they wont fit in my stock 16inch rims. Also do what after market brakes would you recomend if any? Thanks for all your help.

Jayson
94 base 3000GT

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I am not Roger, but I recently purchased a set, both fronts and rears, Porterfield R4S pads and they ran me $140.00.

And since I burned my old set up road racing, during a Friday at the track, I also paid $20.00 for 2 day shipping. Total $160.00. Nexttime I will have an extra set on hand.

Dave Best
3Si #62

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Dave: Where did you get your brake pads? I'm looking for Porterfields for my car and I have no idea where to buy them. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Get the Porterfield rotors (not crossdrilled) cryonic treated and the R4s pads. Best bang for the back for all versions of our cars.

C

·
0 Posts
I'm not aware of any big brake kits available for anything other than the TT or VR-4. I have Powerstops with Metalmaster pads on my Stealth and they work fine. No warping at all. I'm sure they won't work well for racing, but for street driving, they are fine.

R

·
0 Posts
Roger, do you know what the cost of Porterfield front rotors and pads all around would be? How about all 4 rotors and pads? Thanks.

Y

·
0 Posts
When I first bought my 3k used two years ago it had the worst shimming ive ever felt before and was really worried, all I did was take it in and had the rotors turned and has been perfect ever since......the brake pads were in good shape when they turned the rotors so they werent changed....give it a try while you decide what brakes and rotors your going to get and you might decide you really dont need them......my 2 cents

·
Boost Junkie
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot for the info Roger G. Do you know the prices on those Porterfield rotors? I saw Dave best say the pads were 140. And why not the cross drilled ones, are they bad or is that just your preference? And thanks for the advice Y3K, i think i will get that done so i have some more time to decide.
Thanks again guys, this board is great
Jayson
94 3000GT

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I got my R4S pads off the internet at a place called RACESEARCH.com and here is there web page for the 3000GT pads:
http://www.racesearch.com/CGI/Search?model=593&year=63&description_id=&sort=racesearch_price&opt=id&category_id=1441&category=1441&kit=1442&skip=1&cat_id2=&description_id=&action=D isplay+Products&action.x=88&action.y=24

Hope this helps,

Dave Best
3Si #62

P.S. just copy and paste the address above on your address line. It is for a 92 3000GT, but you can change that on the page.

Also I have drilled and vented rotors and have not had any problems, I like them anyway. Dave

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,954 Posts
Just bought Porterfield rotors for the fronts on my 91TT. They had a a set in stock and cut a super deal ($150 total for pair). Normally, they are $250 per pair. The R4s pads are $80 per pair. I also added steelbraided lines and Super Blue brake fluid. This is a very cost effective setup with get stopping power and great pedal feel. I am still running the original rotors on the rears with Axxis Metal Master pads.

[This message has been edited by David_J (edited December 27, 1999).]

·
Boost Junkie
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave best i went to that site you recomended and it only have stuff for VR-4's and TT's. Is there anything for base models??
thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts