Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes thats the only way to do it currently.

·
Super Asurada SA-01
2,130 Posts
How does your VR4 handle in the rain? It has been a very long time since I autoxed my old VR4 in the rain but I remember it being surprisingly tail happy if I wasn't careful in managing weight transfer. Soft stock springs also didn't help. (I was running FS with street tires).

Not a 3S but here's my wet run in my Evo :).

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's wonderful in the rain, I had very little understeer and still havent learned to hit the edge with front end grip every turn since I have had the Ohlins Its even weirder with the Hoosiers on, it just tuuuuuurrrns and doesnt stop, haha. I was full power many times in 2nd gear on a 60 year old runway with tons of steering and it stays pointed wherever the fronts are going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun R/T93
I'm getting my car ready for the track as I'm typing this. Mines FF not a awd but I have mine set up much more agressive then most.

I'm under 3K lbs, coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar and no front sway bar. I'm installing a dual core radiator, modded steering knucks for quicker steering. Fixed back racing buckets mounted with custom brackets to give maximum head room. ABS deleted and slotted and drilled rotors (might goto blanks). Much more to list but it gives the idea.

I'm looking forward to the road courses this summer.
Hey under three k sounds pretty cool. Any easy weight savings tips?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Just to add on here, Joined the SCCA recently, should be autocrossing my SL in the spring as soon as the season starts!

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I will be at the First PCA Day of the year at Road America with the NA :)

Blackhawk Farms tends to have some sort of open track day weekly come end of April.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Been getting the 97VR4 ready for this Sunday, Speed Ventures at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. My first time on a track, 17 turns, 2.68 miles. Going with some friends, 17 Mustang GT 435hp, 17 Mustang Shelby GT350 over 500hp,
Caymen 911? (friend of theirs). I put a new driver side axle, new Porterfield street/track pads, installed SSbrake lines, new brake fluid, oil+filter change, alignment, checked all fluids, no leaks, no vacuum leaks. Have poly motor mounts, Megan lowering springs, 3SX radiator single pass, silicone upper and lower hoses, New oem plug wires, fuel rail loop. Have to drive 180 miles to get there, one way. Oh ya, 100 cars will be there also, including 40 or so Miata's.

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Leadfoot,

Just keep the revs below 6000 and you will most likely have a nice fun reliable day. My first day I learned so much and realized what it really takes to do lap after lap at full pace, its not easy and its not easy on the car. Your oil will get HOT, if you dont have an aftermarket temp gauge beware, you will be hitting 250-300 deg F after a few hard laps. A lot of modern cars can take that kind of abuse but youre 180 miles from home, just take it easy and have FUN. Dont let it bother you if other guys are passing you left and right. Make them catch up to you after you get on the gas a second earlier than them after a corner, use your car's stability as an advantage, get an instructor to go with you if you can.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Hey guys looking to get some nice tires for autocross for my extra ser of stock 16in wheels. Right now I am looking at Yokohama S.Drives, but any recommendations on width or brand?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Too make a note too, a Amateur/first trackday-er common mistake is to run a extra thick oil.

Running too thick of oil can cause your oil to over heat on the track. It will take a long time for your oil to reach operating temp, but then from there it just keeps picking up more heat, and struggles to cool back off until you shut the car down.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts