Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we'll, it finally happened. my stealth broke. I think i blew a head gasket, cause there is steam coming out of the exhaust, all the coolant is backed up into the resevoiur, and it isnt running very smooth, and after i got it towed home and started it for a few seconds, there was a decent size puddle of oil under the engine, right where the back head is, and some steam rising from the engine that seemed to be coming from the back head also. before i go to far and start tearing things apart, anyone have any idea what it might be besides the head gasket or a bad head so i can check for these problems too, and anyone know how much a top end gasket kit costs for a base model 94 stealth? or what about a new head?

Wayne
94 white stealth base
custom graphix (striping tape) :p
custom floor mats
pictures yet to come

·
Registered
434 Posts
you need to be more specific.
Base with SOHC and Manual trans.
if that is the case, yer gasket kit is MD971183 (Engine Overhaul gasket kit) call around the dealers who give discounts to 3SI.

if you could post yer VIN we can help a lil more

you might even be abe to find a gasket kit in an aftermarket situation. The heads will prolly need to be rebuilt if the car ran hot. and to be checked for trueness and make sure no cracks etc. I have a motor builder locally who can machine yer head, and i'm sure a few of us can walk you through the removal of the head.

hope i helped a little

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much more specific?

i have an auto tanny, and i can get the vin number tomarrow cause i gotta go to my GF's soccer game in a few. but what does the vin number have to do with anything? i thought all the 94 base auto engines were the same? of course, that could also be a stupid remark i just said too :rolleyes: . but anyway, i could also use a manual since i didnt get one when i got the car, any idea where i can get one soon? and yeah, some advise with taking this thing apart would be apriciated, just to make sure me and my friend dont over look anything. i got my friend that is a mechanic at a chevy dealer helping me, but i just wanna be safe, after all, its not a domestic car, its a "slanted eyed goat" car :p .
thx

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
if your headgasket is blown then you will have water in your oil. You can check this by looking at your dipstick. If your oil looks like light brown chocolate milk, then it is your head gasket.

Otherwise, I would bet on the thermostat. Other than the oil leak, the rest of the syptoms lead me to that conclusion. Thermosata is an easy fix and only costs around $25. You can run the car without your thermostat to test if that is the problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont think thats it.....

i dont think that it is the thermostat, cause i'm almost positive that then steam from the engine is the coolant. if the head is cracked, that would cause coolant to get into the cylinder, cause the steam and also cause it to run funny, plus, if it is cracked then that is prolly what caused the oil to leak wouldnt it? thats just my theory though. but i will take that into account, i figure while the car is torn apart, i might as well check everything. and i'll find out what the problem is tomarrow when i start working on it, and i'll be sure to let u guys in on the problem,and keep giving me some sugestions, cause the engine in this thing is alot different than the engine in my "Z"

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
if your thermostat went bad then you will have fluid everywhere and steam coming off of everything that gets hot. it would not however have an oil leak.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah

yeah, but that just it, the steam is only coming from the area of the head, and there is a big oil leak, but i am gonna check the thermostat too, i might even replace it and a bunch of other stuff while i got the chance, i know there is a 60k tune up, how about a 120k tune/supe up?

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
The 60k tune up is also the 120k tune up!!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
yep 60+60=120....... :p sorry to hear about your stealth man,been driving it hard lately?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well....

actually i normally drive it very easilly, but the other night my friend thought his suped up cavalier was hot shit and i ha to put him in his place :p . but besides that, i've been taking it easy, thats prolly what did it, isnt it:confused: and thx for ur sentiments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts