Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoa, ok, so I'm in first gear... driving along.. just yesterday I noticed that when punching the gas in first gear after about 3500 rpms there seems to be little power. I would describe it as clutch slippage. And we're talking major.. it feels like the engine is about to lift up and fly because there is no power being transferred to the wheels (well, little power). Now I know what you are thinking, well then you've figured it out, it's a bad clutch.

Well after using the search feature everyone says that it will start slipping in 5th and work its way down. Well, how come all of the sudden I only get it in first? 2nd gear and 3rd gear punches are fine, they seem to be accelerating pretty smoothly (although there might be a little slippage, but nothing major like in first gear). In first gear it feels like the engine is doing all this work yet the car isn't moving much faster for all the work being done.

Could I just have a slip in first gear, and very soon I will have no clutch use at all? I can't really afford to get a new clutch just yet.. well I can, just don't want to spend the extra money :(. I just installed a new fuel filter this past Sunday, but that wouldn't make any sense, because you would think I would be having the same problem in all the other gears as well.

Anyone have a similar experience? Anything on the fuel filter install that we could have botched?

·
1 slick Mothafu*ka
2,287 Posts
when the clutch went on my 5 spd N/A, clutch slipage was alot more obvious on the 1st and 2nd gear than it was on the rest.
When you punch it, does the engine rev and then you feel it grab?( feelskind of like turbos coming on)
That's what mine was doing, it lasted like that for about a month.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't really seem to grab at all, just rev, and it feels like the car is straining to move and it just barely moves (as compared to how it should move.) I'll check the slipping on higher gears later today.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt, anyone have any other opinions? After driving some more today I am leaning towards the fuel problem side, because the way it feels isn't quite like slipping. It may even be a combination of both. Either way, this weekend, I'm going to check out the fuel filter and change the tranny fluid.

Just in case I have to, think I should get RPS 3 or 2? 2 IS cheaper.. but I have heard the 3 is just awesome for performance. If I went that route I'd probably get the lightened flywheel, or maybe just underdrive pulley and turn the stock flywheel.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Definately the clutch.... you'll have to say goodbye to it now.... Heh mine has the same problem.... mine was even worst cause when I shift in any gear the engine just idle even when I let go the clutch all the way.... when I put in first I step on the gas the engine just rev up ..... even the engine rev to 6k RPM the car barely slide.... this is bad.... change the clutch while u still can heh.... don't keep this for long cause it will cost ya big bucks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts