Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my water pump timing belt and plugs done... When I got it back I started hearing a knocking sound. So I take it to the dealer again and ask them why it just started. One of the mechanics looks at it for 2 minutes and tells me it is my lifters?
I explain I know about the hydraulic lifters and I am more intrested in the knock... He says he cant hear it and isnt worried about their work. "They have a gold rated mechanic" HEH When I take off the timing belt cover everything looks okay (not really sure how to check it) But the water pump is missing bolt!

I am not sure if this is causing the knock but what other things can I listen for to make sure a piston isnt going to go out?

It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side... it knocks in a kinda rythm and sounds kinda like a wobbly knocking. And it will increase when you give it a little throttle but it doesnt really get louder just starts doing it faster.

Anything you guys can think of would help a lot, since the dealership wants to charge me to fix stuff that mysterously happens after they work on my car.

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Dude, don't take that crap, bring the car back and demand to speak to a manager or supervisor and explain that the knocking sound was never there before. If they continue to try and give you crap, tell them you will be taking legal action. Just don't mention legal action till the very end when it's apparent they won't help you. Alot of companies will discontinue speaking to you directly and demand to only speak to your attourney once legal action is brought up. Good luck man!

·
Registered
62 Posts
hostile said:
It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side... it knocks in a kinda rythm and sounds kinda like a wobbly knocking. And it will increase when you give it a little throttle but it doesnt really get louder just starts doing it faster.
This is exactly what mine has started doing. Any idea what it turned out to be hostile? At first it was just a single knock when I let off the clutch and hit the gas. Now the quick knocking (proportional to the speed of the car) occurs for maybe 10 seconds at a time and usually in 1st through 3rd gear. I'm hoping to have Hans at GZP do my 60K maintenance this week or next (and I guess look at this new problem), but is this something that I shouldn't be driving around at all? GZP is probably a 2 hour drive and I have an hour commute to and from work.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the dealer thought it was rod knock. So we replaced all of the bottom end. The sound was still there.

I just lived with it for months now it is really obvious what was wrong.

My ac compressor was going out. It is horrible sounding now. I just got one off another meber used and should ahve it in this week.

Hopefully that will fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I had my 60k done yesterday by MoparJim - I would contact him if I was you. I would bet your time is off by a tooth or two. Also the tensioner wasa bitch to install (but Mopar Jim is a genius and did it easily). If that tensioner is not installed properly (and it often takes 4-5 trys) your car could be ready for doom. DONT TRUST THE DEALERSHIP!!!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer mechanics know how to install timing belts. That is probably 50% of their business.

I doubt you could drive with your timing off for 7 months and not mess something up.

My problem was my ac compressor I am pretty sure of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: Re: Weird sound after 60K maintenance?

jwk147 said:
At first it was just a single knock when I let off the clutch and hit the gas. Now its a quick knocking (proportional to the speed of the car)
For anyone that's interested, it turns out it was a loose bolt on the brake caliper, a loose bolt on the CV joint, and by the time I got to the mechanic, 2 lug nuts were missing. (I never noticed any missing)

I'm not sure if anyone has had any experience with Conicelli Mitsubishi in Norristown, PA, but they were the last ones to touch my car (for inspection a month ago) and I'm wondering if they were negligent in tightening things up. My mechanic ended up charging me $70 for labor and replaced lug nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts