Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This whole problem started out of the blue a few days ago.....

The voltage changes so much that my heater isn't working when I'm not moving. Normally my volts are at 14V when I'm driving and 13-13.5V when stopped. Now, they are at about 13 when moving and 11-12 when stopped. The lights dim and the heat goes cold. I don't get it. Any ideas? It isn't a consistent problem either, it is weird. I checked the fluid in my battery and it was low so I refilled it, but the problem didn't go away.

Any ideas??? I went to get the charging system checked, but of course when I got there the car wasn't acting up.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This problem seems to be a bit more complicated now. My heat seems to like to get cold for no apparent reason when I'm driving down the road and it takes about 15 minutes to actually get warm. It used to take about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have similar problems and they got worse when I flushed the coolant for winter. The only things I can think of are:

1. low coolant so it doesn't make it through the heater core (could be leaking water pump)

2. thick coolant so it doesn't make it through because the heater core is blocked up

3. flapper for hot/cold air is malfunctioning

4. alternator is bad and car shuts off heat (doesn't seem make sense because cold air blows)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about the water pump. Mine was leaking a bit when I took it to the shop, but he said it wasn't bad. That could be the issue.....it's a shame the part is like $80, but install is more like $300.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts