Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chansgil and I went to the 2WD dyno today to do a few pulls with his car. He has a 94 R/T non-turbo with the following mods: high flow intake, custom cat-back exhaust, fidenza aluminum flywheel, ACT 2100 clutch, Unorthodox UDP, and Apexi S-AFC. I believe that's all his mods if I remember correctly. We went there to get some baseline numbers and to tune in his S-AFC. The final result was 183.7 hp at the wheels (SAE corrected, 189 uncorrected). The guy running the place said I should become a tuner with the way I tuned in Mike's car (little does he know ;)). Now we gotta install that supercharger on Mike's car in december and take it back to the dyno.... muwhahahahaha.

My dyno run at AAM last year gave me 169 hp with a borla cat-back, K&N FIPK, RPS stage 2, and S-AFC. So, it looks like Mike got around 14 hp out of the flywheel and UPD. Not a bad improvement.

I'll probably take my FWD TT up there when I get it back on the road (it might possibly be done before the end of the year if I get lucky :)). I'm looking for around 400 FWHP ;).

·
Registered
248 Posts
is that engine a sohc or dohc ???
does mitsis estimations of sohc(160hp) and dohc(222hp) ring true
on real dynos stock standard?

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
It's a DOHC. The manufacturer's ratings are just estimates. They are neither the HP at the wheels, nor the flywheel HP. They're just for advertising.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Whats the drivetrain loss on these cars? If your figure 18%, that give a flywheel rating of 216. I thought the DOHC were rated at or about 222hp?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
those are very good number...all he needs to do is add a 100 shot and bammm 289 at the wheel:eek:

hans what was the first baseline without your tuning the safc.

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first baseline was 180 :eek:

The driveline loss is around 20%, and the people running the dyno said that's about normal (they were getting anywhere from 20-25% driveline loss). I believe Al3k got around 167 on his SL with only a K&N as a mod, so that's what we took as a stock baseline to work from (his SL also has pretty low mileage).

I was very impressed with Mike's runs. I can't wait to see what the supercharger will do for him. We have his whole mod list for the next year planned out in stages :D.

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forget, you would have to ask Mike as soon as he awakens from his acoma. He has the dyno sheet. I think they printed out the torque curve with it. If not, it should all be saved on their computer.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Hans

Sounds like fun, but isn't that alot of work for just 20h.p. increase at the wheels?

Sam

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we aren't dealing with a turbo car here :). The flywheel and UDP just make the engine more efficient in putting the power to the ground. I got about 3 hp to the wheels with the AFC (it was running so rich gas was coming out of the exhaust). If anything, it will help the plugs stay cleaner and maybe we can slap on a test pipe and still pass emissions :D.

Adding the flywheel wasn't too much work since we had to put a new clutch in the car anyways (the way mike drives he'll need a new one again shortly ;)). The UDP wasn't any more work to install since we did a 60k service the same time we put the clutch in. Everything else is a simple install :).

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Hans,

Since I have a daily driver now, I might want to hire your services for some work in the near future. Do you do turbo installations? :)

Sam

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
Nice numbers. Wish there are more AWD dynos around. I have to drive 3.5 hours everytime to MD inorder to dyno and to tune it. It's worth the nice drive and maybe a few races along the way:D

Black94VR4

·
hands drop, the BS stops
772 Posts
I believe its proved that VR4's get 26-28% drive train loss.... Base & SL's get around 19-21%... compared to rustangs which get 16-18%

-Ryan

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
Hans91GT said:
It's easier to ask what I don't do ;)

You know .... Hans has been staying late until the cows come home these days ..... wondering wasup with dat. ;) :D

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Okay, now I'm confused....How does a rear wheel drive car (rustang) have less driveline loss than a front wheel drive car?? Wouldn't the RWD car have more rotating mass because of the driveshaft?? That just doesn't seem right. I always thought that FWDs had less driveline loss than RWDs. Based on those numbers, what would a stock baseline be at the wheels? And according to those numbers, and I hate to say it, but, if you have a Base model, you might as well drive a Civic. (oh God, I am going to get flamed for that one.:rolleyes: )

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nuttin wrong with my base :). You should specify what base you are talking about.

Stock baseline is around 167 hp to the wheels. That's a 24% driveline loss.

A FWD trans also has a huge ass differential in their trans. RWD has it after the driveshaft. Maybe that has something to do with it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts