Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all! It's been 15 years since I've been on the 3S forums. I can't even remember my old SN as far as that goes. In college, I used to have a 94 Stealth TT with DR650s and some APEXi/HKS stuff, Greddy exhaust etc that I bought in 96 with 8K miles on it and sold in 2001 with 120k on it if I recall. I have to say I loved that car and always told myself I'd get a 99 someday when the timing was right.

Fast forward to my late 30s, aside from some other insurance/staffing related businesses, I own WEAPON-X Motorsports in Cincinnati, OH. I am not advertising here, just giving my background. Although we do mostly domestic cars (CTS V, C7, ATS V, Camaro SS etc) right now, I keep thinking about this a black 99 VR4 haha. I just built an all new shop with a new Mustang AWD dyno so it needs a good 1000+whp workout!

I popped back on here 6 months ago lurking around for the right 99 and I was back and fourth between buying a 99 to build up or buying a well built gen 2 and doing it myself. I've seen a couple of lower mileage ones come and go but I held out. In searching one night, I ran across one that was extremely meticulously owned and just 3 hours from me here in Ohio. It has just over 21k miles on it and was built to the hilt with a forged 3L and a GT42 turbo with his spool valve. I reached out to Chris and we talked back and fourth a few weeks until I was comfortable with an offer. I will have the car in a week or so! I can't wait to hook up the GoPros and get some videos.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A_enRlT3uZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris has already done a lot of fantastic work to it:
http://www.3si.org/forum/f10/1999-vr4-20k-miles-47k-ohio-highly-modified-659402/

We're upgrading to the AEM V2 for now along with ID2000 injectors in preparation for a Precision 8285 turbo. Some of you might have seen me in some big-boy threads asking a lot of questions as far as head lift, trans, etc in preparation. I'm a major planner and had a list of parts ordered before finalizing the deal on the car. My ultimate goal is to run 8s with the car in close to street trim, lightened but not gutted. Over the winter, I'll likely be going to a 3.9L 74 or 4.2L 75 motor as well to help spool that big turbo. That GT42 is fully spooled by around 4200RPMs now from what I've seen, so I don't want to kick that up another 2000RPMs. It has nitrous too which I have setup on my C7 Stingray so I'm not afraid to spray. ;)

I'm trying to get a few things done to the car before the National Gathering next month. I'd always wanted to attend one but never got to do so. I'm a big custom guy so I'm adding a wider body kit - fenders, quarters, skirts, bumper, and duck tail (which would be put on a new tail light corner pieces and carbon hatch as I'm undecided on using that or keeping the 99 look) being imported from YATT. I haven't seen a good fitting carbon hood yet so I might design one of those as well. I have a full carbon fiber line for the new Z06s and CTS Vs so I could get it done reasonably in the US pretty fast.

I also have my own new wheel line, so I designed a set of 19x11" wheels to run all the way around. They'll most likely have a carbon fiber layered centers and a transparent tinted step lips.

Tires will be 315/35r19 - Michelin Cup2s or Hoosier A7s and I'll also have a set of Weld 17x10.5s with drag radials on them.

Soooooo that's about it for now. I'll post pics of the car when I get it!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,230 Posts
Nice shop! Looking forward to seeing how far you push the 99.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Welcome back and congrats, sub....

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
Wow awesome shop!!! What kind of crank ventilation do you have going on there? Also noob question, but what is that tank on the pass side end of the intake with all of the lines going to it?

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
I got no need for speed at all. Happy with TT GTO factory power off the assembly line.
I do like looking in on good builds other people are doing though.
Great workshop and looks like you found a very good 99.
Please keep on posting. I'll be watching for sure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful shop, beautiful car (yes I am biased) and welcome back!

Looks like she will be a hell of a build. Excited to see someone gunning for the 8's. It has been a while since someone was shooting for that number who actually had the patience and money to complete it.

-John
Just finished the shop a month ago and it's been packed before the grand reopening 6/4

Very excited to see another member having a 1000whp goal as well.

Good luck!

68WM6
Thx been watching your build as well

Lots of hype. Only thing I don't care for in your ideas is the duck tail. Just not for me and kind of takes away from the 99s look. I suppose the park bench isn't for everyone though lol.
Same here honestly, but that's why I'm going to make an alternate hatch and corners for the duck bill and see what I think. Maybe I'll use it for racing only on less drag. I'm sponsoring the Wanna Go Fast half mile event in Oct and am looking forward to breaking the 200mph barrier eventually.

I do love the look of this though. This is the body I have coming withOUT the extra vents and scoops.

thats gonna be one hell of a build...welcome back. How do you like the 3000GT compared to the newer cars that you service regularly?
I love the 3S platform and hate the lack of respect they get. I plan to change that. As for cars, it has to live up to a lot. I have a 1300whp CTS V that I've had since 2010

A 1000whp C7 Stingray that has been on Vette Magazine cover last Nov

and picked up the new ATS V for product development last August. That is an amazing car, ran 10.9 with air filters, 3" exhaust, and my tune at 19psi on a RWD TT 3.6L V6. It cut a 1.51 60' on 275 DRs

Nice shop! Looking forward to seeing how far you push the 99.
:)

Welcome back and congrats, sub....
:)

Wow awesome shop!!! What kind of crank ventilation do you have going on there? Also noob question, but what is that tank on the pass side end of the intake with all of the lines going to it?
Thx I'll have to take a look.

I got no need for speed at all. Happy with TT GTO factory power off the assembly line.
I do like looking in on good builds other people are doing though.
Great workshop and looks like you found a very good 99.
Please keep on posting. I'll be watching for sure.
Thx, I've been addicted to making things faster since my teens. Those are stories for other times though.

Another 1K build.... that's a nice round number isn't it?.. Good luck!
From the dynos I've seen, this is already 1000whp car at 35psi. I'll see when I dial it in on my dyno with the AEM V2 and ID2000s

·
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd
1,242 Posts
thats part of the reason right there! that atsv cut a 1.5X 60foot. How many people in a 3s can do that without breaking stuff... technology technology...

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,230 Posts
My 3000 cut 1.65 on regular street tires (not DR). With some tweaking, I've done better on the street. Just have to choose the right parts. My choice was auto. ;)

Back to weapon's 3S. When is it going on the dyno for a baseline? Plans to clean up those nitrous lines? Doesn't do the rest of the engine and car justice. Same for what appears to be fake AN, mesh cover on the upper radiator hose.

17,264 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats part of the reason right there! that atsv cut a 1.5X 60foot. How many people in a 3s can do that without breaking stuff... technology technology...
Yea this has a lot upgraded already with the exception of the billet end case, which I plan to make on my 4 axis CNC mill. I also have a new fan shop full of Baileigh equip here, a 36x36" 3D printer by 3DP, and a 3D scanner coming so if it brakes, I'll reengineer and rebuild it till it holds. Sounds easy right? LOL

My 3000 cut 1.65 on regular street tires (not DR). With some tweaking, I've done better on the street. Just have to choose the right parts. My choice was auto. ;)

Back to weapon's 3S. When is it going on the dyno for a baseline? Plans to clean up those nitrous lines? Doesn't do the rest of the engine and car justice. Same for what appears to be fake AN, mesh cover on the upper radiator hose.
Auto Trans? Elaborate?

It'll be on the dyno immediately for the low and high boost tuning.

Yes be freshening it all up. Black lines and fittings and color coordinating the valve cover. Nitrous has never been used but I'll bend hard lines and upgrade to some carbo bottles in the trunk like my C7. Ray is going to pin the heads so I can spool that turbo with this 3.0 till I decide on the 4.2L

this would drop right in without mods and give you another half liter and be plenty strong for 1000AWHP:

http://www.3si.org/forum/f4/g-i-merkel-3-5-stroker-0-miles-752682/
I saw that when I was searching around, looks nice but I'm not in a huge hurry.

·
I'm a dork.
1,144 Posts
holy cow, can't wait to see those wheels after they are produced. should look pretty snazzy. i'm a fan of the duckbill too. went the retro-spec route in CF. definitely looks better on a widebody though. looking forward to your build!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,230 Posts
Auto Trans? Elaborate?
I swapped in a 4g63 with a dsm 2g auto trans into my 3000 but you can run an awd auto trans on a 6g7x engine also.

Everywhere but North America, non-turbos were awd and you could get an NA, awd auto. JDMenginedepot usually has them for a couple hundred bucks. Same internals as a DSM auto so you can use the same upgraded parts that all the DSM autos do. Jeff Bush just ran 7.64 in the 1/4 in his DSM auto. Nelson ran auto in his 6g74 3000 for his 8 sec pass.

You just can't use OD under power. The hollow shaft breaks. Have to use 3rd gear for top speed, so on a powerful 6g you run out of revs unless you run tall tires, rev the shit out of it or Jeff Bush sells 7% overdrive transfer gears (still probably not enough). I am running his standard ratio straight cut transfer gears.

·
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd
1,242 Posts
yea auto would help eengler but everyone loves a manuel lol. 1.5 60ft in a bpu vr4 is 11's

Oh and that shop is very very nice. I bet that equipment cost some $$$$. Definitely show us pictures of when you make your own billet end case, that will be very cool.

·
Pro xfercase destroyer
5,417 Posts
Very cool build! I've been watching your shop since I got my C7 last year, thinking about putting a supercharger setup on it... Now that I know you are a 3/S fan as well, I'll have to give you a call when I'm ready to do up the Stingray.

Good luck with the rest of your build!

1 - 20 of 552 Posts