Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
3s enthusiast
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '92 3kgt sl for a good price from a guy in AZ. Turns out he was probably selling it because he didn't want to drop the bucks on the 120k maintence (that and it HAD to be done--small pool of antifreeze forming under the car). I've read that coolant on the timing belt can cause it to go, and we all know that's a BAD thing. I have an appointment to get it fixed by Mike Sullivan as recommend by the biker guy in his FAQ on tuesday of next week. I want to know if driving it between now and then (I have to go back about 180 miles to school on Sun) anymore than necessary is much of a risk as far as snapping the belt. I've heard everyone's comments, but who has actually lost a timing belt? Setting my fears at ease would be great, but I'd also like to know if I'm really asking for it. Thanks

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
First off, welcome to the board. It's nice to see new members every now and then. Bookmark this site now because if you have a question about your car you need to look no farther.

Also bookmark this site: www.stealth316.com - It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

On to your question- You can pull your top timing belt covers (5- 10mm bolts) and inspect to see if the coolant is leaking onto your belt. If it is, I wouldn't drive the car unless you absolutely had to. Otherwise, you should be OK.

Timing belts do have a tendancy to slip or break and when they do they take all your valves with them. It is an extremely costly repair if you break your belt. If you skip a tooth or two, you'll be fine but any more and you need to rebuild your motor.

Keep the belt changed every 60K miles and do the scheduled maintenance on your car and it will last a long time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
yeah, i had the same problem. my antifreeze was leaking for a few months, i drove my car up to milwaukee to have a fellow board member do it just a couple of days ago. i was scared to drive it up there, but it ended up being okay. it was like 1.5 hour drive, so you should be okay as long as yer timing belt isn't damaged. make sure to bring some water with in case you get low on coolant, jus keep yer rpms down, and you'll prolly be aright.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts