Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wastegates are frozen shut. I can't even move the lever with my hand. What should I do? Do these things go bad often?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
If it still has the actuator attached, it's not supposed to move by hand.

If it's not attached, then it's weird as hell because you've somehow welded cast iron together.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I should still be able to move it by hand, right? Its just a plunger with a spring.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only reliable way to test is with a vacuum/pressure pump and guage. The common brand is MightyVac-about a hundred bucks and is essential to test cars.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I noticed in the past that it really doesn't open up all the way, and just yesterday I think they got completely frozen shut because I'm generating a whole bunch of boost. I have a tire pump with gauge on it that I use to apply pressure. It always seems to work well. But I still think I should be able to move it by hand.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You shouldn't be able to move it by hand. What does your aftermarket boost guage(if you have one, if you don't this is a real good reason to get one)tell you. If they were frozen shut, you'd boost really high and blow your engine. If you boost guage is reading pretty normal(9psi-12psi) then I'd say it's fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I built an electronic boost guage. Its calibrated to be good for +-1 psi, which is probably a lot better than most analog boost gauges. After I thought they closed shut, the pressure in the plenum starts out about 20 psi and bleeds down to about 17-18. I haven't been reving my engine high in this state at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts