Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
make sure you get it fixed ASAP. i am so pissed, i was planning on getting my car totally fixed up next week, and was driving tonite, and felt that my wheel was startin to shake worse than before. i was thinkin to myself this is the last time i would drive my car until i got my wheel bearing replaced. all of the sudden the right side of my car drops and i see my wheel go rolling like 50 feet. i slid over to the side of the road on my rotor. my side skirt is like broken off and i have a huge dent on top of my wheel well, and the bolts that my lugnuts screw onto got ripped right off. luckily i was only goin like 25-30 mph, and there was no cars by me, otherwise it would have been a lot worse. so anybody who thinks they might need a new wheel bearing, replace that thing as soon as you can, so you dont lose a wheel like id did. it really sux :(

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
wow! I am glad you are OK. How did you know you needed new wheel bearings?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at first i thought it was my ball joint, so i replaced the lower control arm and that did not fix it. so i took it to a shop and they could still wiggle my tire, so they figured it was my wheel bearing. i was gonna fix it like las week, but i was blaming the wheel bearing on a towing co. that towed my car when i parked in private property and they dented my bumper, knocked out my foglight, etc. so all of that was gonna get fixed next week. thought i could make it until then, but obviously not. it could have been a lot worse if i was goin fast, though, but my car still has a lot of damage done to it. everything from the first towing incident, and everything else that happened a couple of hours ago. at least im gettin a 97-98 style front bumper out of the deal.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wheel Bearings

Definately. If you even suspect your wheel bearings you should get them checked out.

When I moved back down to South Florida from Long Island years ago, I just put my stuff in storage and drove my car down full of clothes. After finding an apartment I borrowed by dad's pickup and rented a U-Haul trailer. Drove up to LI, got my crap and drove back. Somewhere in North Carolina, on I-95, at the top of a hill, at about 3:00AM on a Saturday morning - I'm driving along and all of the sudden I feel the truck kind of lean back. I look in the driver's side mirror and see sparks flying everywhere and the wheel rolling away from the trailer. I was going about 65-70 and had to downshift while doing my best to maintain control - wheel was pulling everywhere. Managed to make it to the side of the road in one piece.

The point? Don't drive with wheel bearings going bad. You are asking for trouble. The other point? Forget U-Haul. Their vehicles and trailers are death traps. Pay a little more and rent a Ryder truck / trailer.

Lee

·
2,248 Posts
Re: Wheel Bearings

LeeNetworX said:
Pay a little more and rent a Ryder truck / trailer.
I have seen more than one Ryder truck sitting on the side of the road burning. Not sure what they do that causes their trucks to catch fire, but it happens.

Have seen the same thing with U-Haul, though.

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Re: Wheel Bearings

LeeNetworX said:

When I moved back down to South Florida from Long Island years ago, I just put my stuff in storage and drove my car down full of clothes. After finding an apartment I borrowed by dad's pickup and rented a U-Haul trailer. Drove up to LI, got my crap and drove back. Somewhere in North Carolina, on I-95, at the top of a hill, at about 3:00AM on a Saturday morning - I'm driving along and all of the sudden I feel the truck kind of lean back. I look in the driver's side mirror and see sparks flying everywhere and the wheel rolling away from the trailer. I was going about 65-70 and had to downshift while doing my best to maintain control - wheel was pulling everywhere. Managed to make it to the side of the road in one piece.

Funny, we had the exact same thing happen to my father and myself about 15 yrs ago. Spooky.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: Re: Wheel Bearings

Aerosly7 said:

I have seen more than one Ryder truck sitting on the side of the road burning. Not sure what they do that causes their trucks to catch fire, but it happens.

Have seen the same thing with U-Haul, though.
Guess like everything else it all boils down to personal experiences...LOL I think I've seen more U-Hauls on the side of the road then Ryders. And most of the Ryder trucks I've driven/been in seemed to be in better mechanical shape then the U-Haul trucks.

I think the problem is they all get the piss beat out of them and the companies that rent them are slackers when it comes to checking them out / maintaining them. Just my opinion.

Lee

·
2,248 Posts
brainfood said:
they dont care about their dealers or their customers they only care about making money
So, in other words, they're a typical American corporation? :cool:

After thinking about it more and more, I think I know why I see so many flaming trucks sitting on the side of the road around here. People load those things down with wwwaaaaayyyy more than they can haul and then expect them to go straight up the side of a mountain. I guess that would be enough to start a fire in any engine.

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
See the thread in "THE LOUNGE" about some cumwit attepmting to RACE the UHAUL truck he rented. Wonder why they break down? 2 idiots daily that have NO experience driving anything bigger than an SUV in city traffic. Anyway....MATT to answer your question.....usually the first indication of a worn bearing is a "whirring" or light roaring sound that gets louder the faster you go. It almost sounds like you have an "off road" tire on the wheel making the noise. If you notice that, when you are on a road without a lot of traffic try firmly turning the wheel to the left and then to the right at 35-40 MPH (for safety) and listen to see if the noise changes (gets louder, softer, dissappears). If you notice a change in the sound (and it is pretty obvious ususally) it is likely a bearing. Depending on your tires, your car may make that sound anyway...this will help to distinguish between tire/road noise and a bad bearing. My Yokohama tires made so much noice I was convinced it was a bearing. I finally made Tire Kingdom take them off and give me a new set (they were TERRIBLE). Anyway, thats how you can tell. Another way is when you get done driving...get out and physically touch the wheel of the bearing you suspect and compare to the other wheels.....if it is considerably hotter (touch carefully) that is anothe indication and usually by that point...you don't have much more time before complete failure. It is pretty unusual for a bearing to fail to the point where the wheel falls off (usually the noise and shaking are unbearable) but it does happen....and at highway speed, well you could get DEAD in a hurry, car can and will usually flip....and your wheel will likely kill another driver.
If your car don't feel right....STOP DRIVING IT. If YOU can't figure it out....HAVE A PROFESSIONAL DO IT! The life you save may be your own.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hell yeah man, it scared the crap out of me. luckily i was only goin like 30 mph, and the wheel went flying of to the side of the road, other wise it could have been a lot worse. not to mention, if you don't have full coverage you might be looking at a pretty expensive repair bill. fortuantely i do. but i did drive on the bad wheel bearing for about 2 months. was supposed to get fixed along with my front bumper this past week. but now i have to make another claim with my insurance, and will need a new door, new side skirt, rotor, fender, and prolly other suyspension damage. man, they gotta hate me.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I think uhauls are great. Once i took out a 5' x 10' bush. We dragged it for so long, it dried out and caught fire.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I had to rent a Uhaul last week when I was moving from my apartment to my new mobile home... I think my Dad summed it up best when he said "That thing is a piece of crap." followed by "That's not driving, it's an adventure!"
lol :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts