Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just happened a few moments ago. finally have a race worth posting.
cruising i-4, just getting out of college, when a silver wrx goes by me trying cutting through the light traffic. i figured i'd give it a shot since i dont get too many good races nowadays. well, i'm behind him now trying to catch up and he guns it, we go to like 110 and i'm like 2 cars behind cuz he had the jump and the distance. minutes later we finally line up at around 70mph and punch it, i slowly started walking away from him to my surprise and i shut down a little past 100 due to traffic. as far as i could tell he had exhaust and i heard the bov when he shifted. that car sounded and looked mean though. :dodge:

·
3Si Corporate Shareholder
3,784 Posts
If you've got an N/A, which looks like it because I see no boost mods in your sig, then either race it when A) his sister, wife, girlfriend, or real owner of the car is driving; or B) when the driver stops expecting to win races by punching it in 5th at 2500RPM.

If you've got a VR-4, (why haven't you at least gotten an MBC yet) then good kill!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
lol how is it so unbelievable that he beat it if he was n/a, they are awd and from a roll just not as quick, n/a's can take wrx's from a roll, vr-4's should put them to shame since a vr-4 makes more hp at the wheels than the wrx does at the crank, the n/a prob puts down more hp to the wheels than a wrx does too

·
Thoroughbred
288 Posts
You know how it is....

If we're N/As- we're just SLOOOOOOOOOOOW unless we got some mods. Might as well accept it bro. Of course when you hear about an N/A beating a TT then expect nothing but cheers from us :D

Hey WICKEDDREW when you gonna start whacking the TTs for us man:p

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
i dont think n/a's are as slow as you are making them out to be. you gotta give some credit. when i had my n/a, i beat a 96/97 mustang gt, and started to pull on him when i was in third gear. yes, i did have some mods, but just catback, intake, and intake pipe, but i dont think its unrealistic for an n/a to take a wrx from a roll. just my 2 cents.

·
Thoroughbred
288 Posts
i dont think n/a's are as slow as you are making them out to be. you gotta give some credit. when i had my n/a, i beat a 96/97 mustang gt, and started to pull on him when i was in third gear. yes, i did have some mods, but just catback, intake, and intake pipe, but i dont think its unrealistic for an n/a to take a wrx from a roll. just my 2 cents.
I'm not saying that we are that slow. I've heard alot of N/Astaking out the competition- just haven't myself cause i'm a shitty driver:D But the general concensus is that we are slow. That's what i was saying- i think probably the 'slowed' of the N/A sportscars- save for the Supra or so i recall someone saying, correct me if i'm wrong. But i do believe its quite possible to take a WRX from a roll.

·
I wear a gorilla vest.
4,391 Posts
We can take WRXs from a roll a lot of the time. THEY DYNO AT 140 SOMETHING HP! Give us some fuckin credit once in a while. Fuck that, I've beaten them from a stop. Ever raced one? Fuck the mag times its bullshit. I'm sick of people doggin on us, especially the TT guys.

-Remy

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
PureN/AHP said:
lol how is it so unbelievable that he beat it if he was n/a, they are awd and from a roll just not as quick, n/a's can take wrx's from a roll, vr-4's should put them to shame since a vr-4 makes more hp at the wheels than the wrx does at the crank, the n/a prob puts down more hp to the wheels than a wrx does too
Stock, they are still faster than N/A 3000GTs. However, modded, they are low 13 second cars at about 100-101mph with just basic mods. Since you heard a BOV and you saw exhaust, he might have upped his boost as well.

Don't forget, they weigh a lot less than a VR-4...

Oh, and I have raced many here in Atlanta. They are not slouches at all...

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I've run one from a stop before and barely stayed ahead of him, and that was with the new engine and turbos, the boost controller wasn't working so was only pushing 8lbs of boost. I dare him to try it again though.... I'm ready for him now.

I'd have trouble believing an NA could walk one, maybe keep up with one from a roll, but not from a stop. I haven't met an NA yet that could stay with me when gunning the car.

LW

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i sure as hell wouldnt have tried him from a stop. but hey, believe whatever ya'll want. maybe dude didnt think i was worth downshifting. i've raced another one from a roll before as well at around 80 and i was right behind him.
btw i got a 94 stealth non-turbo, 5-speed.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
there is no question the wrx is faster from a stop. but on the highway they lose their advantage. so an n/a is definetly capable of running one at high speeds. even tho the wrx is lighter than the n/a (not by a large amount), the n/a puts more power down to the wheels. so i dont have any trouble believing an n/a could run with a wrx on the highway, not from a stop.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've run 3s NA's before and to put it frankly, it's all over before the race starts. On the other hand the WRX's that have run me keep up pretty good, most WRX's are modded anyway and as Ruiner stated can run low 13's with basic mods.

I still can't figure out why people diss the WRX and say it's a slow car, it's pretty quick from the factory and with some mods it becomes just as quick as a stock VR4.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
i understand your arguments.. i think i should see a wrx pull from high highway speeds before make judgments. but a highway pull from around 80mph on is the one instance when i say an n/a can contend with a wrx.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
servidjo said:
i understand your arguments.. i think i should see a wrx pull from high highway speeds before make judgments. but a highway pull from around 80mph on is the one instance when i say an n/a can contend with a wrx.
i just said what i wasnt going to do, then did it in the next sentence didnt i... allow me to do the honors to myself.. :hammer:

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
I think gearing may have something to do with it. I know I will jump in front of V-8s from a stop and then pull away even more all through 2nd. But in third (about 80 mph on a 6-speed) they start to walk up on me. I don't know what the gearing is like on either so I can't say but I would think that would have somethign to do with it. At least a little. But the 2nd gen 3000 GT SL's and Stealth RT's are deffinately faster than the ES and bases and even the 1st gen SL's and RT's from what I heard. An auto will slow you down too. Significantly. I raced a WRX about a week ago. I'll make a post on that in a little bit. But I remember reading in SCC that the WRX's were going to have 14.7 psi from the factory. How much more boost can you get out that engine before you have to swap the turbos and upgrade the fuel system? 14+ psi is a lot for a factory car.

Devious - Is your Stealth an RT or ES? I can see it with an RT easy. Maybe even hang from a stop. You may lose form a stop but I'd bet not by a whole lot. The 2nd gen RT's and SL's aren't exactly the turbo cars but they sure as heck aren't as sluggish as a lot of people think.

·
Registered
101 Posts
96/97 mustang gt
1st mistake... gaugeing wether or not your car is quick based on one of these pigs...

We can take WRXs from a roll a lot of the time. THEY DYNO AT 140 SOMETHING HP!
2nd mistake... stock WRX dyno AT LEAST 160 to the wheels... but can range as high 180hp to the wheels. The stock ECU is sooo smart that you can dyno a car, get say 175hp.... reset the ECU and dyno it again and it will have only 160hp. The ECU learns your driving technique and advances timing based on how you drive.

I still can't figure out why people diss the WRX and say it's a slow car, it's pretty quick from the factory and with some mods it becomes just as quick as a stock VR4.
Not a mistake, just some FYI... with just a boost controller many WRX's run high 13s @ 97+ mph. Thats stock VR4 territory, no?

Mine personally went [email protected] with only a EBC.

some more fyi:

CURB weight for a WRX is 3085, with a quarter tank of gas they dip under 3000lbs without driver.

4th and 5th are both overdriven gears... from say 0-98mph... the car rocks... but without a bigger turbo (or at least an MBC/EBC) 4th and 5th dont have the pull they could.

How much more boost can you get out that engine before you have to swap the turbos and upgrade the fuel system? 14+ psi is a lot for a factory car.
stock MAX boost is 14.3... however its not reached in 1st or 2nd,... and when finally attained (in 3rd,4th and 5th) is bled down to 8-9psi by redline (thus the huge gains a EBC/MBC will give)

The stock turbo is good to about 16-16.5 psi before it really gets out of its efficiency.

The injectors are 440cc and can be pushed to run a car into the 12s... however the stock turbo will have to be upgraded as it just gets too inefficient. there are many IHI turbo upgrades available... actually the stock WRX turbo is an upgrade to the TT VR4 and Stealth. Its a TD04L-13G made by mitsubishi.

Simple fuel upgrades, STi 565cc injectors and a walbro hi-pressure 255 pump are excellent tools for mid to low 12 second passes with the proper supporting mods and tuning.

I ran [email protected] with only $1500 worth of stuff... ie- pulley, ebc ($500), piggy ecu ($600) an uppipe and plugs (7s)... not bad. That on the stock turbo... fuel and @ 16.5 psi.... full interior, pump gas.

def

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.