Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many pro class VR-4's are there that run anywhere close to a 7.339 second quarter mile? Because I was having this discussion about pro class cars and my friend seemed to think that if I posted some quarter mile times from RX-7's that you would "run circles around you with knowledge and facts" and to paraphrase him, you would chew me up and spit me out. So please--run circles around me and tell me about all the VR-4's and 3000GT's running quarter mile times better than the following:

Siguel Racing [email protected] 6/17/01 Englishtown, NJ Third-gen RX-7 with 20B rotary engine.

Abel Ibarra of Flaco Racing [email protected] Third-gen RX-7 with 13B rotary.

Rafael Rivera of Rafaelito [email protected] Second-gen RX-7 with 13B rotary.

Nibo Racing [email protected] Third-gen RX-7 with 13B rotary.

Grant Williams of Australia [email protected] Third-gen RX07 with 13B rotary.

In all fairness, I am a Mitsubishi fan and I realize that the RX-7 having less than half the displacement of a VR-4 and the RX-7 being a pure-bred rear wheel drive should not even be compared to a VR-4 but this is just for fun, right?

Makes me wonder what it would be like to make a tri-turbo 6-rotor out of two 13B-REW's since the 13B-REW has 250 stock bhp with N/A, creating 2.6L of displacement thus making the playing field a bit more fair.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
sorry. there are no 8 second vr4s.

There IS a 9 second stealth tt that ran a 9.22 i think.

other than that. having a car THAT damn fast is pointless when you cant drive the thing around everyday.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Nice first post...:rolleyes:

All of those cars you listed are trailered drag cars with sponsors and slicks. Far from street legal. Only one (1) of us has actually went all out and made their car into a race only car. Too bad he ran out of money and it has yet to make a pass.

99.99% of us prefer to have daily driver cars that can take us back and forth to work with the AC on and the stereo blasting during the day then kick streetcar butt at night. :cool:

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
TROLL!!!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Trying to stir up trouble? Don't reply to this post guys, this guy is a loser. BTW kingt, what quarter mile times do YOU run? I mean, if you can take the time to get the car running and all, and keep it running long enough to make it to a track and back without destroying the engine, then we'd like to see what that little engine can run, I mean it's only fair.

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
The first thought that comes to mind about this post:

Yes, you get the pink *** smiley! Congrats!

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Yes there are some fast rx7's and rx3's, cosmos, etc. The thing is, they no longer have mazda transmissions, differentials, interiors, etc. The only thing mazda about them is the engine and body panels.

Mazda is the only automaker to make a dsplacement claim based in the volume of the statioary combustion chamber instead of the swept volume of the air/fuel mixture the engine can take in on a given intake revolution. Rotary engines geberate one poer impulse per revolution per rotor, which is twice the power pulses produced by a 4-stroke piston engine. Thus, the displacement can be multipled by 2 for a more realistic representation. Even Felix Wankel, the inventor of the rotary engine, wrote that the engine's displacement should be doubled, but Mazda chose not to do so because they would lose a marketing point. 255hp from a twin turbo 2.6L is not that imressive. The hella fast RX7's have LESS HP than our fastest vr4/TT's, but the cars weigh 1000+lbs less than our cars thanks to AWD, AWS, and a larger platform. If we were to completely gut a vr4/TT and have a 2200lb shell of a car, we would be in the 6's, but that isn't happening any time soon, because thankfully, Puerto Ricans aren't big fans of VR4's.

Don't bother arguing with me, because I have 2 RX7's (a 90 GTU and a 91 Cpe), and I know everything there is to know about them, including the not-so-impressive facts.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
WickedDrew. This is more of a rhetorical question (since you have a lot more knowledge than me about this), but I was also under the impression that the torque curve of the RX7 was awesome as well ... which helps it make more speed from less power (and the exact opposite is why 900HP supras lose to 600HP mustangs ... cause big single turbo supras have aweful torque curves). I'm just curious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you'll make the argument that, for example, a two-stroke 100cc engine should actually be classified as a 200cc engine, simply because most automobile engines used are four-strokes? No. I'll argue with you all you want about that (wouldn't it be great though if a two-stroke had a decent power curve). I will not, however, argue with many of your other points because you do have excellent points and some non-opinionated factual basis to what you've said. Besides, it's pointless to argue with a self-proclaimed know-it-all. Because no matter what anyone says contrary to what you believe, you'll never allow that other person to get their point across. Which is fine, so I won't waste my time (nor should anyone else). To each their own.
I do agree with the comment about daily-drivability. But this wasn't about daily drivers, this was about pro class times. Pro class times only. It was to prove that there are no pro class 3000GT's running 7s. Thank you for proving that, that's all I wanted. Now my uniformed friend can be the wiser, that there are no pro class 7 second 3000GT's.
It would be in your best interest to not be so defensive, or make claims about knowing "everything there is to know about them, including the not-so-impressive facts." Because then it makes me less likely to give what you have to say a chance. Not that it should matter to you, just some tips for getting your point across next time. Just because someone says something that you don't agree with, doesn't mean you have to be disrespectful.
Thanks to those who actually made intelligent and informed replies. Some of you could learn something from manxk and Trevor.

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Go troll elsewhere...

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
kingt151, suck it:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was the first dyno sheet I could find for a rotary, keep in mind this is a three rotor that wouldn't be cheap. A typical RX-7 two rotor woudln't be near this but this is just an example of what a very mild 20A three rotor rotary can do:

http://www.atkinsrotary.com/ARS3rotordyno.jpg

Feral said:
WickedDrew. This is more of a rhetorical question (since you have a lot more knowledge than me about this), but I was also under the impression that the torque curve of the RX7 was awesome as well ... which helps it make more speed from less power (and the exact opposite is why 900HP supras lose to 600HP mustangs ... cause big single turbo supras have aweful torque curves). I'm just curious.

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
damn wickeddrew, i almost bought my friends GTU for 1600 with full ceramic coated exhaust and header. car was in killer shape....i was just too damn broke.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
hmm . . .

first off, you will find NO bowing here. . .

Second, yes your friend is/was mis-informed on that there are lots of 7/8 second 3SI's. If he was a member here, he would have known that.

The tone of the answers that you received was justified. Your original post comes across condesending.

That said, if you want to stay around and contribute, thats great. We would love to know more about the 7 that you have - good, bad, or indifferent. But I / we can do without someone quoting fast track times to cars that they do not own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Duly noted. Thank you for your reply.
He is a member of the site (I believe), he was in fact the one that dared me to come here and state such things, thinking that I would be laughed off the board with many 3000GT owners with timeslips to prove they were better than any 7 second RX-7. He seems to think very highly of your board, as do I. There is a vast number of people with great knowledge that choose to post on this board. Some people do it appropriately (such as yourself) and some don't. Which is the same with any great board, am I right?
I don't own an RX-7, I don't even own a two door vehicle. My first two door was an Impreza which was flipped and rolled, I hope you VR-4 owners don't take the gift of AWD for granted like I did.
I do not disagree with the tone of the replies, but there were ridiculous ones. It was the content I was questioning. I won't point any out, but making comments about a post "being gay" etc when it simply states facts and figures doesn't make much sense to me, that is who I was directing my comments toward.
I asked a question, and I placed it in the correct forum (to the best of my knowledge, anyway). If I placed it in the wrong forum, please have the moderator(s) move the thread. I was not boasting that I owned a fast RX-7, and I wasn't even implying that RX-7s (or any other vehicle) are better than anything else. I wanted to know what kind of times VR-4s were running in comparison with RX-7s, because my friend seemed to be confused so I went to the most appropriate and well informed board on VR-4s. You settled our debate, and I thank you for that.

38 Cigarette said:
hmm . . .

first off, you will find NO bowing here. . .

Second, yes your friend is/was mis-informed on that there are lots of 7/8 second 3SI's. If he was a member here, he would have known that.

The tone of the answers that you received was justified. Your original post comes across condesending.

That said, if you want to stay around and contribute, thats great. We would love to know more about the 7 that you have - good, bad, or indifferent. But I / we can do without someone quoting fast track times to cars that they do not own.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
I guess I should have worded my point about displacement better. A Wankel egnine has no "stroke". It is a non-reciprocating design. In a normal (Otto cycle) engine, you measure the displacement by the volume of the combustion chamber, including the top part of the cylinder in the head. In an RX7, Mazda chose to use the displacement of the area between one rotor surface and the rotor housing. That is NOT the maximum displacement of the air/fuel mixture it takes in. Like I said, even Felix Wankel said the displacement should be twice the rotor-to-housing area. I love RX7's because they're nice looking and handle great, but the enines suck. One of mine dies at 98K and the other died at 115K, so they now house small block chevy engines (see http://www.grannysspeedhop.com )

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was the one that sent him here. With good reason though. KingT and I were talking on ICQ late last night and he started spitting all these crazy things to me, and I know I don’t have the knowledge like WickedDrew to have the right comebacks. That’s why I sent him here. KingT is a "in the closet" know it all (unlike WickedDrew who is not in the closet about knowing it all) :D
No Offense intended KingT...... but you kind of are. heh :)

.......dared me to come here and state such things, thinking that I would be laughed off the board with many 3000GT owners with time slips to prove they were better than any 7 second RX-7.
I didn’t dare him to come here looking for people with better than 7 second VR4s. I sent him here because I know people on this board know way more than he does, and can shed some light to these numbers and facts he has. WickedDrew did awesome. I didn’t think KingT would be laughed off the board either. I just knew people would see this thread and come run circles around him with their knowledge. Or at least show him that the RX-7 isn’t the greatest car made just because it can run a 7 sec 1/4 mile. And if what WickedDrew said about those cars being totally rebuilt and not even really a Mazda anymore..... then I don’t care if it ran a 5 sec 1/4 mile..... it doesn’t count in my book. LOL

*KingT - WickedDrew is one of the people I was talking about that knows their shit, and knows it good. He is actually the reason I sent you here, because I read a different post about RX-7s that he replied to, and I knew he was knowledgeable about them*

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I may be in know-it-all-denial but atleast I don't throw stones out of my glass house :)

m3kgt said:
I was the one that sent him here. With good reason though. KingT and I were talking on ICQ late last night and he started spitting all these crazy things to me, and I know I don’t have the knowledge like WickedDrew to have the right comebacks. That’s why I sent him here. KingT is a "in the closet" know it all (unlike WickedDrew who is not in the closet about knowing it all) :D
No Offense intended KingT...... but you kind of are. heh :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
glass house? ya lost me........ :rolleyes: LOL

·
racing is war
1,418 Posts
missing point

I thinl you are missing the point ypu say there are no pro class 7 sec 3si that is true because at the moment there are NO PRO CLASS 3SIs no drag 3si exisists and are running yet that any of us know of all of the cars we run have interiors and drive to and from the track. No one knows what a true drag 3si could do. And also about a lot of the 7 sec rx7s u posted they are pro class u are right. They do not drive home they have no interiors they are purpose built drag cars. We run street machines not trailer queens. Not that there is anything wrong with it just don't compare apples to oranges. No one talks about the tube frame mustangs that run on alcohol and are tube frame fiberglass bodies and considers them mustangs. Hopefully one day someone will build a drag 3si there are some in the works but until then the best 3si will be seen roaming the streets after they leave the track ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts