Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
F15 - The Fastest 1/4mile
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a VR4 Spyder.
I have performed searches on 3SI and have been to the Spyders home page...
Has anyone compiled a list of these cars?
I am still a bit confused in the colors available.
From what I can tell it is limited to the production as follows:
#1 Red
#2 Black
#3 White
#4 Yellow
somewhere I saw blue listed, but have never seen a blue one??
Were the VR4 Spyders available in any other colors?
If not, it looks like I might have to buy one that could use a paint job and spend the big bucks on new paint :)
Thanx for the info!

·
VR4 owner since 1993
584 Posts
All yellows are re-paints... not original. Review the spyder site more closely, there are several links that include the factor literature, articles, etc. As I recall (perhaps in one of the articles) the color choices are listed/mentioned. Lots of the other info is available here:here .

-JD

Edit: To my knowledge/experience, blue was not an option.

·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, but the 1995 did come in Yellow, not a repaint. In 1996 it was discontinued... here is the excerpt from the link you posted that discusses it....

"New-for-’96 exterior colors for the Spyder VR-4 and SE include: Panama Green Pearl; Solano Black Pearl. Also available are Glacier White Pearl and Caracas Red. (Sable Black and Martinique Yellow Pearl have been discontinued)

By "discontinued" that must mean that it was available in Yellow Pearl in 1995.

Any other input gang?
THANX!!

·
VR4 owner since 1993
584 Posts
Yeah, I saw that, but they also call it an 'SE' not an 'SL'. :rolleyes:
I'm just throwing in my 2 cents (for what it's worth), and I've only come across two Pearl Yellow spyders in my Net travels... I know that one of them was a repaint, and the other just didn't have enough info to tell.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but until there is absolute proof, I'd be very skeptical. Kinda like that mythical automatic VR4 I've been hearing about for 9 years now. ;) If you find out anything conclusive in your search, please post it.

-JD

·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehehe, ok will do...
So as far as you know there are only 3 options for stock colors???
RED, BLACK, WHITE???
I think I will have to go with white and paintover then :)

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
I know I've seen a Yellow Spyder (local dealership had it a few years ago) and if it was a repaint, they did one hell of a nice job. Didn't see any of the usual signs of a color change. Pretty much black, red and white are you color choices.

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
Pearl yellow was a color option for hte '95 Spyders, not sure about '96. There was one at an OC gathering a few years ago. And other owners on the board have them. I also found at least 6 pearl yellow Spyders for sale when I was searching for one for my mom.
Other than that, color options were limited..so far as OhioSpyderman can tell, there was only 1 green Spyder ever made and he's going to be searching for it until he dies ;)
Your best bet for finding one that needs a paint job are the black ones..they have an affinity for peeling (the roof/deck lid that was painted by ASC). I'd show you pictures of mine peeling, but I'm too ashamed to show them ;)
Good luck finding one! The beginning of winter is a good time to look. :) they're cheaper ;)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
He is right...pearl yellow was an option on the spyders. I have seen 2.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,549 Posts
Roger.....

I dont want to get your hopes up....but there was ONE other color available.

According to Mike Reids numbers, there were 2 (yes 2) Green Spyder VR4's made (both with tan interiors, I believe).

No one has ever seen one to my knowledge.

Again, according to Mikes numbers, YELLOW was a stock color in 95. Ive know at least one former member that had one. (Yellowbird, in ATL.)

Here's a link to Mikes thread...

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/sh...age=15&highlight=production data&pagenumber=1

BTW, I think I know someone in the area your looking at that may be willing to look at the car for you. It just so happens he is a former Spyder VR4 owner who now owns a Spyder SL.

If you have AIM, give me a shout. If not PM me and I'll see if he's willing to thelp you out.

Bob.
:)

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,397 Posts
I have seen a Pearl Yellow Spyder also. It was at Apple Motors in Austin during the summer of 2001. They are pretty rare but, they are out there. Mainly you see Red, Black and White.

·
just some guy.
2,573 Posts
yellow was an available color. spydergirl (I think that is how you spell it) had one a few years back. she used to frequent here. I think she sold it. it was an sl

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
I know of a pearl yellow Spyder VR-4 that is here in NJ. North Jersey I believe ... I have seen white Spyder VR-4s too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts