Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to 3000GT's but I love what I see, the great looks and performance. I am looking to buy a 3000GT, but I dont know what to get.

I was looking at my choices for a 92.

1: The STD which has 222HP. Weighs less then both *3219 lbs* the ST and VR-4. but is frontwheel drive(less traction which im sure can hurt your 1/4 a little)

2: The SL.. Has 222HP just like the STD, but weighs *3373 lbs*. and is also front wheel drive.

3: VR-4!!! Horsepower: 300 Torque: 307 ft-lbs... and ALL WHEEL DRIVE! But it sucks that its 3803 pounds! (not to mention me weighing 210 which would bring that beautiful weight up to 4013 :mad: )

ok we looked at my different choices... :(

Should I get the STD or the VR-4? I wont bother going with the SL because it weighs a little more (Maybe appearence differences?) but looks like the same exact engine. I know the VR-4 is AWD and Turboed which is grand but the STD weighs a lot less, and I could still turbo/ twin turbo that right? The reason I am asking this is because I dont want to spend all that extra money on the VR-4 just because it has a turbo and awd, it weighs more!. I could spend around 4,000 for the STD (maybe not 4000 but at least its less then the vr-4) and then i could just do some engine work, like new pistons to lower the compression so i can turbo it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
There's been a lot of discussion on the value of either going with a VR4 or just turboing a FWD version. You should do some searching and look over the threads because it has a lot of opinions and numbers for you to look over. But in general it will cost you more in the long run if you get an N/A FWD and try to turbocharge it. If you get a VR4 you get AWD which is better than FWD no matter how you look at it. Just put the car on a diet and do some weight saving mods.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
I think Mitsu knew what they were doing when they went to AWD with the 300+ HP turbo. 300+ HP in a front-wheel drive cars are pretty rare and probably for good reason.

I test drove the FWD RT when my 220 HP Supra Turbo was stolen back in 1991 and did not like how the car felt cornering under power. I took out a RT/TT and after testing the AWS on a cloverleaf at 60 MPH+ I bought it and have never looked back.

AWD and AWS in my opinion is worth the extra weight IF nd only IF you are talking about a street car. If you are talking about a track car, the extra weight will always hold you back.

Clint

1 - 7 of 7 Posts