Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i came home last night for thanksgiving break. After going out to dinner with my folks, i take my mother's yellow 94 vr4 out for a spin, because she says it was shifting funny (seemed fine to me, stupid getrash).

I run into a pack on integra driving homies, there are 4 of them total, each one riced out a little different. I follow them for little bit, then i get a chance to pull up next to them. I get to the head of their pack, and someone wants to go, so we both punch it, im in 2nd gear at about 4 grand, so the vr4 takes off pretty quick, only problem is the integra is still hanging with me side by side.

So eventually we pull over and start talking about the cars, and i asked who was the one who raced me, and this kid steps up "it was me" so i ask what he's got done to his car. He's got a black type-r with all the bolt ons, plus a little engine work apparently, and a 60 shot of nitrous on top of that. I ask if he was spraying during our little race, and he says no. At first i didnt believe him, but we all left the parking lot and went to go race again, after i watch him turn the bottle on.

Him and I are in the lead, with his buddies following. He's got a friend in the passenger seat with a video camera. we get to a good road, line up even and both punch it from a roll. before i can even get to the top of 2nd he's pulling away, and all through 3rd he just pulls like crazy all the way up to somewhere around 100. We line up again somewhere around 30 or 40 i think, and we go again, i floor it and put the clutch in just barely to ge the turbos to spool up, the vr4 chirps the wheels a little bit and we're off, except he's still pulling on me, shift into 3rd, and he's walking away steadily, probably about 4 car lengths by the time we're over 100.

I was shocked to say the least. We pulled over again and i got a chance to watch video. Nothing like the interior view of an integra walking a vr4 :( I suppose drivetrain loss and power to weight ratios add up in the end :(

oh well, guess its time to get mom some mods.....

·
Registered
727 Posts
uhhh
the vr-4 has 320 hp and the type-R has 200 hp? ok even if it was the 6 spd and with the mods he said and a 60 shot *which shouldn't last to 100mph through 3 gears* i don't quite get how he beat you. He either had to have had more mods or i missed something.

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
Well, the vr4 is only putting down like 260hp or something to the wheels. So, the Intergra may be putting down the same thing after all the mods and the NOS. So, factor in the Weight and there you have it ;) Hard to Believe Huh?

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Alright! I'm dissapointed in you Deathsled. I thought, I think, ahhh...Imma cry!!! That's just not fun. What kind of guy builds up an Integra to stay side-by-side with a VR-4 with ALL ENGINE...and then throws the 60 shot to walk away? Just not fair.

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
I dont mean to be an ass, but I think you ned to learn how to drive that car. Especially after reading Drew's thread. If you're gonna run a 6-speed TT from a roll, start at 50mph in 2nd. I usually throw it into 2nd from 3rd at about 50mph. anything lower than that, and you're too low. Leave it in gear and you still take a second or two, to spool up. And since, you're in the heavier, AWD, turbo car, if you aren't taking off by honks or signals or something, always get the jump first.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sceptor said:
uhhh
the vr-4 has 320 hp and the type-R has 200 hp? ok even if it was the 6 spd and with the mods he said and a 60 shot *which shouldn't last to 100mph through 3 gears* i don't quite get how he beat you. He either had to have had more mods or i missed something.
I'm gonna bust out some math here for ya :D

VR-4's have 320hp, which equates to like 270awhp (i believe). It weighs like 3600lbs (give or take).

That comes to: 13.3 lbs/hp

This Type R had 204hp assuming a 20% drivetrain loss(its probably more like 15%) and weighs ~2700lbs (little less actually)

That comes to: 13.2 lbs/hp

.jon

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
whats the big deal? a modded integra beat a stock 94 vr4... it happens... kinda like when a modded vr4 takes a stock viper.. it happens..

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
The only thing is... Type R's don't respond well to mods. The engines are already so radical from the factory that it's hard to get much out of them. It may have been a GSR. A modded GSR engine is more powerful than a modded Type R engine. I know of a modded n/a integra in Tampa that runs a 14.3 @ 96 w/ a 2.2 60 foot, and that's enough to hang with a stock VR-4 from a roll. Add nitrous...

Super Street did a header, full exhaust, intake, and fuel mods, and only gained like 8HP to the wheels. It was rediculous.

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was a real type r, cuz i started talking to them about how i've raced a supercharged GSR before and it was dead even, and the kid's only comment was "well this is no GSR". i still would have figured a supercharged GSR to be faster than an all motor type r, but you never know i guess...

oh and speeyuk, i know how to drive a car (after all i can beat a dohc with sohc :D) , i cant help it if the integra was faster. i made sure i was right in the power band when the races started, noone got the jump on anyone, i would hang momentarily until that fucker just started walking away...he just has a serious weight advantage over a vr4

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
Jon3K,

Actually, stock VR4 only dyno at ~230hp to the wheels (25-27% driveline loss). These slips had been proven and w/ the 1G dynos around ~220awhp.

Black94VR4

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
At least sneak the restrictor washer out of the boost control solenoid. No turbo car deserves to be bone stock!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Black94VR4 said:
Jon3K,

Actually, stock VR4 only dyno at ~230hp to the wheels (25-27% driveline loss). These slips had been proven and w/ the 1G dynos around ~220awhp.

Black94VR4
Ouch - i had no idea. But it makes sense.

Thanks for the info.

.jon

·
Jack Stand Driver
978 Posts
whats the big deal? a modded integra beat a stock 94 vr4... it happens... kinda like when a modded vr4 takes a stock viper.. it happens..
And You will VERY RARELY! see a modded Type-R take a stock viper or modded VR-4 for that matter.

·
F orum Whore/troll
847 Posts
hmmmmm interesting. i will be looking for some stock vr4 pretty soon :D

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Stephen -

Don't worry about it man! I roasted a "Type R" not too terribly long ago from a ~50 MPH roll with a friend in my car. I left him so far behind that I had to slow to the speed limit and wait for him for nearly 10 seconds before I could give him the ricer salute (flashers). You win some, you lose some.

And as John said, go to mom's VR-4 remove the two hoses on the boost solenoid, and pull the restrictor out of the lower opening on the solenoid. Put the hoses back on, and that should give you the edge you need. Also, as an added bonus, she'll never know it was done as it is totally invisible. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts