Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quoted from Shooter:

"Iv been looking at this Red Mitsubishi 3000 GT at a car lot for about 3 or 4 weeks now. Iv wanted to go drive it, just incase it was the VR4. I finally have a few minutes to burn, so I go out and talk to the guy. comes to find out,, its a 91. leather interior, cruise, 5 speed, Twin Turbo, with 170,000 miles on it! :WTF: but I take it for a test drive anywayz, the guy comes with me, I swear it was the SLOWEST 3000 GT Iv ever been in, especially for a VR4. I think one of the turbos were blown. or at least not engaging. cause Iv driven some VR4's that would beat Vipers around here. and this one was NOT one of them. I expected a LOT more from a mitsu VR4 TT. Id actually bet good money that my single turbo 4 Banger would be able to beat it as is. Iv never driven such a slow Mistu in my life! Im very disappointed. I know my previous experiences with VR4s havnt been this bad. maybe Im just use to driving a Super Fast car.. lol. "

"they were asking 7,995 but the guys straight up told me he wanted to get rid of it, and he'd give it to me for 5 1/2. but it had some things that needed to be fixed. such as the leather seats were cracked pretty bad, cd player didnt work, paint chips, pass door doesnt open from inside.. has to be opened from outside only. umm, it was slow... I didnt care for it. I know I would get a LOT of looks in it, if I had it. but ya know.. Im not down with the slow sports cars... "

http://www.probetalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1701749032&forum=1&5

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
sounds like the car was on its last legs to me

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
...sitting on a car lot...
.....minor problems with electronics...
........can't open the door from the inside? :confused:

Doesn't sound like the machine was taken care of at all. Like it was used as a beater.

I'm coming to learn the HARD way, that a VR4 is FAR from a 'jump in, turn the key and drive whenever you want to' kind of car. It takes alot of meticulous, constant care, to keep it in top running form. Anyone that tells you different is smoking dope.

The previous owner had my VR4 for two years, and the ONLY thing he did was oil changes. Now, I have a boat load of little problems I've had to solve nonstop.

I'm finally near the end of this huge overhaul, with a new oil pump and new wheels being last on the list. But bear in mind I've put well over 4000 into the car so far, and if the oil pump causes a spun rod bearing, that number will jump another 3-4G.

This dying, high mileaged 91 VR4 that he's talking about can NOT have been functioning properly. Between mistiming, (possible slipped timing belt, being that the 60K probably wasn't done regularly) bad plugs (again, the 60K) worn rings on the engine, (probably from lack of oil changes) I could EASILY see this car not putting power to all 4 wheels the way a VR4 was designed too; and that doesn't even get INTO the secondary reasons it could be lacking in power: Boost leak, old turbos, fuel feeding issues, bad injectors, fried ECU caps, intercooler leaks, vaccuum leaks, wastegate control problems... (should I continue?)

Hell, fixing the door handle could not have been more than a hundred dollar job, and yet it was never done?!? and you think this person would then spend almost a thousand on a 60K?

What I REALLY don't get, is that this Shooter guy actually thought that the car would perform top notch, given the care and condition it was in.

:rolleyes:

Hell, for 5 grand, even I'd consider buying that car off the lot, if either the body and suspension were in immaculate condition, or the engine ran well, (even if there were boost problems)
I could make a serious buck parting that thing out, if I didn't strip it down and make it into a project car.

(of course, that means I need 5 grand. Anybody wanna lend it to me? :p)

E

·
Registered
557 Posts
hope the dealer intends on fixing the door problem before he sell's it!!! cus' thats against the law........or buy it the way it is,have it catch fire some how,pretend you were trapped then sue the shit out of him!!!!:D

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I know where a black 93 VR4 is. Tan interior in good shape, needs syncro work on tranny but nothing fatal. Mileage is 90k or so. Should sell for $4500 or so.

Located in Macon, GA

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
damn, You're making me wish I had an extra 5 grand John.

:(

Well, then again, who WOULDN'T want an extra 5 grand?!?!? :confused:

:D

Elton

1 - 6 of 6 Posts