Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It is a good matchup, but we have an edge. Yes, we have the gimmicks like driver adjustable suspension (i.e tour vs. sport modes) same for exhaust, AWS, like the 300z, very similar features for the most part, plus AWD (the only one IMHO, that is really worth raving about). Plus, some token back seats. Either car is decent, but ours seem to be put together better for the most part (other than the early transmissions). Fastboy, what do u mean "despite my cars condition" I thought you had a modded up beast?

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited December 22, 1999).]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Diablo,
yes it's all modded but I have heard some vaccuum hiss near the plenum...and I spoke to brian gt-pro and he asked me to take out the egr valve and inspect for any UFO that's clogging the valve and is bleeding the exhaust thus reducing the turbo's exhaust...so I guess that's what I'll be doing this weekend...take care diablo!!!

thekhan,

I agree with diablo...even though the 300zx has the hicas AWS they cannot beat us cuz of our AWD!!!! I love my car in the winter snow heheheheh

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I like the 33ZX very much, look, style, power, HICAS and more. Please note that there are 2 seaters and 2+2 ones and peronally the 2+2 is much better (we only have these styles here in Europe)

For my gusto it is simply not driveable in rain and winter. I had one for two weeks and it was great as I really liked the active rear steering system compared to our passive system. But with a little wet street I had to be very careful not getting the rear loose and I had to change my driving style. AWD simply rules in almost any condition.

The engine is very strong and the turbo system is a real parallel one with two throttle bodies and one turbo feeding each others bank. The system easily allows to create a true dual exhaust and this works pretty well.

The body is ok, but the T-tops are not doing a positive thing to the stability. This is why Nissan integrated a part of the roll over security into the doors ... I hate this door frame because I often hit my head or shoulder when getting out of the car.

Since I have a 3000GT TT I'm shopping around for a used 300ZX but it'll not be my daily driver... just for excessing modding, LOL. Unfortunately, no 300ZX I've seen with around 50k miles is in such a good condition like the 3S are with the same mileage. The paint is very bad and especially it blisters at the flexible parts like the rear spoiler. The interiour is nicer shaped than in our cars but the leather seats are not so good qulity as ours. I slipped around with my Jeans but ib the 3000GT I have a very good feeling.

As said, I like both cars

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
roger,
I thought that the 2+2 had no turbo...u sure you drove a 2+2 turbo cuz that's what I read from some car magazine...what do you think? BTW, can you explain to me how the egr valve works and what it does? I understand that it recirculates exhaust back to the intake manifold...so let's say that it's stuck open and is recirculating exhaust to the intake manifold...will the turbos get less exhaust to power themselves??? thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have owned a '93 RT/TT, a '92 300zx TT, and a '96 VR-4. The 3SI cars are definately easier to drive (point the car and give it gas). I owned the 300 between the time I owned the RT/TT and the VR-4 and it was a different beast all together. The rear end would break loose easily if I got on the juice too quickly in a corner. The Mitsu engine felt smoother and more torquey to me. The 300 had much stiffer suspension.
Looking back....comparing these two is like apples to oranges....so many differences.
Stillen makes lots of goodies for the 300 so it is fairly easy to mod. Just ramblin' a bit.
Mark '96 VR-4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Preformance wise, at least on paper the 300ZX prolly has the 3KGT beat, each with 300HP - 3KGT is heavier. BUT 3KGT has 4WD Im forced to assume that that evens it up pretty good, at least in a straight line. All the other goodies Don't mean much as far as straight lane preformance goes. Both have suspesion goodies for the curves. Im forced to assume that the AWD makes up for the 3KGT extra beef around a Autocross track. But like someone else said - There is NO doubt in my mind that the Mitsubishi is of much higher quality. I've seen alot of 300ZXs (The later ones and the gaudy cars from the 80's) and so far I have yet to see even one that has stood up to the miles that are on it to my satisfaction. my Starion has 176,000 Miles on it and looks nearly (and better in some ways) as good as my firends 70K mile car. I've seen some 50K mile 300ZX's that don't look as clean or solid as my Starion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And to answer you'r questions fast boy, As far as I know (Here in america anyway) the 300ZX came in three models 300ZX Two seater, 3000ZX 2+2 and 300ZX TT wich was also a two seater, Im pretty sure that 2+2 was not a option on the TTs. I was going to answer you're question about EGR but i've had a major brain fart and I cant remember for the life of me if their is a diffrence between PCV and EGR (Positive Crankcase Ventilation and Exaust Gas Recirculation) or if they are one in the same - but I can say that I doubt very much that a stuck EGR will effect you're boost very much. more than likely it will either cause a vacume leak or a rich condition depending on RPM, Load & the position the valve is stuck in. Sorry I couldn't be of mroe help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And to answer you'r questions fast boy, As far as I know (Here in america anyway) the 300ZX came in three models 300ZX Two seater, 3000ZX 2+2 and 300ZX TT wich was also a two seater, Im pretty sure that 2+2 was not a option on the TTs. I was going to answer you're question about EGR but i've had a major brain fart and I cant remember for the life of me if their is a diffrence between PCV and EGR (Positive Crankcase Ventilation and Exaust Gas Recirculation) or if they are one in the same - but I can say that I doubt very much that a stuck EGR will effect you're boost very much. more than likely it will either cause a vacume leak or a rich condition depending on RPM, Load & the position the valve is stuck in. Sorry I couldn't be of mroe help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The European markets had a 300ZX TT in a 2+2 layout. It was just never offered in NA. There are a few imported, but they are rare. I've driven both cars and they both are great. My RT/TT is definitly easier to drive fast - much more forgiving with the AWD. I liked the looks of the 300ZX a little better than the Stealth, but after driving several of the cars I knew the Stealth was definitly for me. AWD works alot better in our Canadian winters!!!

[This message has been edited by jduncalfe (edited December 22, 1999).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.