Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have my Pre-cats in, and I have a testpipe on my car it runs really rich (I can smell it). I knwo VR-4's do hav eblack carbon coming out alot of the times but mine just seems excessive lol. But it spits a ton of black ash out the exhaust at idle. Keep in mind it doesn't smoke, just spits this out on my garage floor every once in awhile. I dont have any CEL codes being thrown (I did the CEL trick to see if the engine was throwing any codes, which it wasn't). Any idea what could cause me to run so rich? Is this normal or should it be running less rich than this? See the tips, I cleaned those a couple of days ago and they were perfectly silver and clean! Look at them now! lol
Picture is attached:
-Thanks!

Attachments

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
The computer must be seeing some kind of restriction in the intake or something my recommendation is DONT waste the fuel crank up the boost :D LOL :D I have no clue why yours would run so rich decently stock like that.. The only thing I see is your BOV is an open atmosphere one which I understand those cause rich conditions b/c of the fact that they aren't putting as much air into the intake as the closed loop models do
sean

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Internexus said:
The computer must be seeing some kind of restriction in the intake or something my recommendation is DONT waste the fuel crank up the boost :D LOL :D I have no clue why yours would run so rich decently stock like that.. The only thing I see is your BOV is an open atmosphere one which I understand those cause rich conditions b/c of the fact that they aren't putting as much air into the intake as the closed loop models do
sean
Rofl! Well i dont get good gas mileage at all, and regarding the BOV thing I think its only between shifts that it will run rich from what im told, the BOV is closed at idle and thats when its spitting all this out! lol It doesn't spit it out all the time either, this picture was at 2 in the afternoon on Thanksgiving day on the first start of the day for the car. I sat there and watched this stuff being spit onto my garage floor. Today it wasn't spitting any out though.... Although the car I think ran way rich even when I got it and it was totally stock!
-Thanks for the reply!

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
You are correct on the BOV so now it leads me to believe the O2 sensors are shot and covered up plenty with carbon and are reading extremely lean so they are having fuel DUMPED into the motor extremely!

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Internexus said:
You are correct on the BOV so now it leads me to believe the O2 sensors are shot and covered up plenty with carbon and are reading extremely lean so they are having fuel DUMPED into the motor extremely!
Kind of what I was thinking. My question is wouldn't the ECU throw a code if the O2 sensor was bad?

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
The o2 sensor isnt seeing anything as bad however. It just feels that everything is running lean b/c it has so much crap built up on it. There is no kind of sensor to read if it is clogged up or anything so it doesn't think itself is bad. So no codes from that unless it complete craps out on you then it may.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Does this only happen when you have started the engine before the exhaust has heated up. There is always some carbon in the exhaust nad when the is moisture present it will carry some carbon out with it and it can hit anything behind the car including the floor. This is not abnormal. If you put a piece of paper at the exhaust tip after starting it and have someone rev the engine, droplets of water will be ejected and have carbon on them which will stick. If you are getting black smoke after the engine/exhaust/cat have heated up, then you have a problem.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts