Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys! I own a '92 VR-4 and I live in Colorado Springs. I have a terrible squealing coming from the belt on the driver's side of my engine block. If the A/C is on, the belt squeals like a banshee in idle, but lowers as the rpm's rise. If the A/C is off, the idle is quieter, but the higher the rpm's, the louder the squealing. I have no idea where to even begin on replacing it. I would appreciate any help. I am an amateur, but I can follow instructions.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Check the condition and tension of the AC belt. It may be something as simple as that

If you need to change or adjust the belt, pick up the manual off of 3sx. It's pretty straight forward.

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the condition and tension of the AC belt. It may be something as simple as that

If you need to change or adjust the belt, pick up the manual off of 3sx. It's pretty straight forward.

Cheers
Is the A/C belt the one on the driver's side of the block? And by manual, do you mean the owner's manual? I have that one. If you mean the technician's repair manual, I don't have the $160 3SX wants for that. That squealing is literally deafening if the hood is popped.

So, new problem (yay)! When I bought the car, there was no dimmer switch, thus no dash lights. I got another one from eBay, put it in, and nothing. I checked to make sure the dial was rotated all the way up. Now, my brake lights and tail lights don't work, my dash lights still don't work, and God knows what else. I still have awful radio issues. I am hoping that this issue will be resolved by replacing the TAIL fuse in the engine fuse box. I am going to be driving cross-country shortly, so I need to get this fixed. I will update when I replace the TAIL fuse (and I'll replace others for good measure).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, guys, crisis averted. I replaced a bunch of fuses. Dash lights work, tail lights work, brake lights work, and active aero works!! I cannot say how relieved I am!

Still got that squealing problem, though. At least that's not a driving hazard, though, just annoying.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
And by manual, do you mean the owner's manual? I have that one. If you mean the technician's repair manual, I don't have the $160 3SX wants for that.
You can download the entire manual here for free: 3SX Performance - Service Manuals Backups 3000GT / Stealth*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth Parts

A/C belt is on the drivers side of the engine bay towards the front of the car. It runs from the harmonic balancer to the A/C compressor. Follow the noise...you can't miss it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can download the entire manual here for free: 3SX Performance - Service Manuals Backups 3000GT / Stealth*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth Parts

A/C belt is on the drivers side of the engine bay towards the front of the car. It runs from the harmonic balancer to the A/C compressor. Follow the noise...you can't miss it.
Thanks for that link. I appreciate it.

Okay. So, I pulled off the wheel and splashguard. There was no engine access cover behind the splash cover; the pulleys and belt were there for all the world to see. I dunno if this is a problem (I would assume it is), but anyone have a clue where I can get a new one?

Moving on. I was able to loosen the tensioner pulley bolt (talk about a pain in the ***), then lower the pulley to remove the old belt. Since I am here, how can I tell if I should replace any pulleys? I don't hear any grinding from anything. I don't have much money to just throw at this belt system. I have a cross-country trip to make in two days. :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts