Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Mnay people think that exhaust vents on the top of a hood are ofr heat coming out. In actuality, while that is nice, the big help is that it reduces air pressure behind the radiator. More air can pass through it easier, which equals more engine cooling.

I actually learned something today. Nice!

·
Headmaster
613 Posts
This hood was designed to be very sleek but very functional. These hood features a 1.5" raised center section of the hood allowing heat to escape from the cowl in the back of the hood at a stop, and creating a induction point by the window to pull cold air into the engine bay compartment.

found this at cianci,,, it seems he doesn't agree :p

·
deftracing.com
5,225 Posts
This hood was designed to be very sleek but very functional. These hood features a 1.5" raised center section of the hood allowing heat to escape from the cowl in the back of the hood at a stop, and creating a induction point by the window to pull cold air into the engine bay compartment.

found this at cianci,,, it seems he doesn't agree :p
I'm the one that actuqally explained to him that it would not act as a "heat extractor" wheile the car is in motion. The pressure at the window forces the air INTO the engine bay, and what you want out of a cowl is for the air to go OUT of the engine bay.

termination of the cowl about 4 inches or so AWAY from the windsheild would allow air out of the engine bay. Odlly,. while you might think that the heat leaving the engine bay is the biggest help here, it is actually the lower air pressure BEHIND the radiator that allows more air through the radiator; which cools the engine far more than simple air passing by it.

For an induction cowl to be effective, it needs to be ducted somewhere, and even then it is likely less effective than an exhaust.

·
Stuff and Junk and Things
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
well, i can see i wasnt all that clear in my idea, im not talking about cowl induction. sorry. i just meant something like a raised rear so the air could flow right through and semi like be dispersed onto the windshield.

·
deftracing.com
5,225 Posts
well, i can see i wasnt all that clear in my idea, im not talking about cowl induction. sorry. i just meant something like a raised rear so the air could flow right through and semi like be dispersed onto the windshield.
yes, im just saying the current hoods with a cowl are induction, an exhaust cowl would need to be further from the windsheild.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts