Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Viper 500+ Alarm System in my '94 3000GT...I accidentally set the permanent silent mode on (don't know how)... does anyone know how to deactivate this feature (not in the manual & I can't find it online) ...

·
5,179 Posts
I dont know for sure if it would work with your viper alarm but open the door and press button 1 then button 2 then button 1 on your remote. I think its in valet mode.

Carl

·
H to the izzO
11,944 Posts
Would unplugging the battery for a few hours reset the alarm settings? I want to say that my Viper kept its settings when unplugged, but I don't remember for certain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the suggestions...

I tried the button combination, and the red LED light would flash in the car indicating that it would enter/exit Valet Mode, however no chirps were ever emitted the multiple times I tried it.
...I was also reading in the Viper Alarm Instruction Manual that there would be a Valet Switch installed in the car somewhere...I can probably contact the owner to find out if there is, but I didn't know whether there is a standard location for this switch in vehicles (like under a seat or in the glovebox) so I don't have to disturb the previous owner.
...It also said in the manual that a dealer could permanently arm/disarm the chirps, and I was wondering if when I took it in to get inspected, if they may have perhaps turned off the alarm and then forgotten to turn it back on (I don't recall exactly when the chirps stopped, but I was curious if this was a possibility)

I don't want to try unplugging the battery for fear of messing anything up with the transmitter.

Thank you very much again and I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

·
H to the izzO
11,944 Posts
I don't want to try unplugging the battery for fear of messing anything up with the transmitter.
The transmitter/receiver automatically synch. The system is desgined to change frequencies periodically as a security measure. If the transmitter and receiver fall out of synch, they will quickly resynch within a few clicks of any button on the fob. Unplugging the battery is safe.

...It also said in the manual that a dealer could permanently arm/disarm the chirps, and I was wondering if when I took it in to get inspected, if they may have perhaps turned off the alarm and then forgotten to turn it back on
The manual is referring to an authorized DEI dealer, not a car dealer or your typical mechnic. The dealer would need to have the DEI bit writer in order to change the settings. Usually, only auto security and auto stereo places have this.

Most likely, the setting was adjusted through the key fob. Some settings can be changed through the fob, and some can only be changed DEI's bit writer. I highly doubt that this is one of those bit writer settings, so you should be able to restore it through the Fob. Check DEI's website for a manual. (Directed Electronics Inc.???)

·
Banned
255 Posts
On the alarms that I've had installed before all have the valet switch under the dash near the fuse box.

Other than that.....

Auto Dave said:
Step 1: Open a door. (a car door... your car ;) )
Step 2: Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "Run" position.
Step 3: Push & release the program button (the black button in your car - usually located under dash or driver's kick panel) once and then release.
Step 4: Push & hold the program button in (keep holding).
(Unit -should- chirp once)
Step 5: Press and release a button on your remote (this button will be your arm/disarm button)
Step 6: Release the program button.
Step 7: Press & Release the program button.
Step 8: Press & Hold the program button (do not release).
(unit should chirp twice)
Step 9: Press button2 (or the other button) on your remote.
Step 10: Release program button.
Step 11: Turn key off.
(Unit should emit a long chirp to confirm)

Let me know how it works.

-Dave

P.S. You can make Button 1 arm/disarm or button 2, just press the other button in Step 9.

P.P.S. Taking too long between steps will cause the unti to exit learn routine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the alarms that I've had installed before all have the valet switch under the dash near the fuse box.

Other than that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Dave
Step 1: Open a door. (a car door... your car )
Step 2: Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "Run" position.
Step 3: Push & release the program button (the black button in your car - usually located under dash or driver's kick panel) once and then release.
Step 4: Push & hold the program button in (keep holding).
(Unit -should- chirp once)
Step 5: Press and release a button on your remote (this button will be your arm/disarm button)
Step 6: Release the program button.
Step 7: Press & Release the program button.
Step 8: Press & Hold the program button (do not release).
(unit should chirp twice)
Step 9: Press button2 (or the other button) on your remote.
Step 10: Release program button.
Step 11: Turn key off.
(Unit should emit a long chirp to confirm)

Let me know how it works.

-Dave

P.S. You can make Button 1 arm/disarm or button 2, just press the other button in Step 9.

P.P.S. Taking too long between steps will cause the unti to exit learn routine.

^^The Valet/Program Button?^^

Also, I tried the operation above (by Auto Dave) to "reprogram" the device, however at no point does the unit emit any chirps, and do I actually have to turn the car on or just to the on position (I don't have a "RUN")? I have LOCK * ACC * ON * START key positions.

I also checked the glovebox and there wasn't a switch or anything in there...

And, just for final reclarification, trying "unhooking the battery for a while" would be okay becuase the system will automatically sync itself back up?

Thanks again for your help everybody :)

·
Banned
255 Posts
That appears to be the valet switch.
Run = On in our case.

Ok I read further into your problem.... The instructyions I gave you were to reprogram your remote....
Here's a possible solution.
Ps1k0 said:
open door, key on, press and release the valet switch 9x, then press and hold, the siren should beep 9 times. the press lock on both of your remotes. release the valet switch. key off. test
if it dosen't beep 9x,(does more) then turn the key off and back on and try again.
If not...

Auto Dave said:
The LED is solid now, correct? This means the unit is in Valet mode. To get out of it, turn the key to the "on" position then back off, and just press the black button in the car again
Good Luck Bud.

·
Registered
2001 chevy 2500 HD
1 Posts
Would unplugging the battery for a few hours reset the alarm settings? I want to say that my Viper kept its settings when unplugged, but I don't remember for certain.
But wouldn't you have to change the battery eventually anyway?

The standard rule for viper.. The mode it was in when battery removed is the mode it will be in when battery is put back on..
Its made that way for when cars are worked on or batteries replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts