Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I also vinyl the rear hatch pocket groove area (where the rain water collects / travels ). It covered nicely, but several months later (after winter), it developed a small bubble. I couldn't re-work the vinyl anymore to move the bubble out, so I poke a tiny hole in it, and flatten it down. It worked, but about a month later the rain water founds its way in there and the vinyl started to separate from the car. Lesson learn, live with the bubble or it will get worse if you poke a hole in it.

After seeing the roof vinyl develop a bubble, I made the decision it's time to just paint the whole car instead. I first remove the vinyl from the hatch area, and discovered what a pain it was, it was leaving glue residue on the paint and almost completely separating from the vinyl itself. Apparently my prep work was too good because the glue favored to stick to the paint and not on the vinyl. I used paint thinner to try and remove the glue, what a pain, it would dissolve for a few seconds and then gum up. The only effective way to clean it was to lay down masking tape and brush the gummy glue on top of it, and pull the tape away to dispose of.

I didn't want to repeat this same mistake for the roof, so I looked at youtube videos removing the vinyl, and they used heat. I tried doing the same thing, purchased a heat gun, but it made zero difference for me. The only thing that worked best was to pull it very fast, it didn't leave as much residue behind. Of course pulling it fast means there's a greater risk of painting getting peeled too, but that didn't matter for me since I was going to repaint -- by the way it never did pull any paint.

I have experience in installing window tint, and using heat gun to stretch the tint when needed. Unfortunately this skill didn't help as much. I'll let the experts do it, if I were to do this ever again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like vinyl installation and removal period is a pain. Plasti-dip would probably be a much cheaper, effective, and temporary/long term route for the 3000GT/ Stealth body contours especially.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts