Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BC3S
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Full Vinyl Wrapped GTO

started with the roof as seen here: http://www.3si.org/forum/f119/vinyl-wrapped-my-roof-pillars-664913/
and decided to do the whole car. this is my first time wrapping and i have no prior experience.

materials:
-5x75sqft gloss red wrap $380 [20sqft left over]
-5x30sqft satin black wrap $100 [10sqft left over]
-squeegee $5
-utility knife $5
-isopropyl alcohol $10
-heat gun $20
-lots of microfiber towels $10

pick an easy panel - example the roof - and play with the materials till you get the hang of it. took me 4 times on the roof, but the rest of the body was 1st try each time. i made lots of mistakes and tried to hide them as best as possible. there are imperfections here and there when you come up close to it, but from far it looks good. A professional would do a much nicer job but would cost as much as a paint job.

this specific red (vvivid gloss blood red) is interesting. it looks pink under LED light (my phone), orange under florescent light (garage lights), and a beautiful vibrant red under sunlight (can be seen at the rear bumper complete shot). blends with the stock red nicely so my door jams and engine bay aren't contrasting.

pictures: http://imgur.com/a/RN2bZ#0
<html><iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/RN2bZ/embed"></iframe></html>

this is very time consuming, took me nearly 100hrs to do the whole car, doing a panel a day on weekends. the worse panels are the mirrors, sideskirts and front/rear bumper. mirrors/sideskirts each took me about 3-4hrs. rear bumper 5hrs, front bumper 6hrs. as with any paint work, prep is crucial. the panels must be spotless and without oil/grease and flat. any blemish come right through.

there are some seams&inserts, but they are strategically placed (like in the sideskirt holes and the gaping mouth up front) and away from your eyes. you have to actually stick your face up close to see them.

i would not recommend doing this unless you have lots of spare time, can't paint and want a temporary (3-5yr) solution. this is one of the worse cars to wrap because of the curves and holes etc. on a car with simpler body i would not hesitate. working by myself was a pain as well, this would have gone twice as fast with an extra pair of hands for the bigger panels.

·
BC3S
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imgur album embedded in first post, can't see it? i included the link as well

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
I absolutely love this! I've thought about wrapping my 3S as well but those side skirts would be a B*tc#.

How exactly did you do it? did you do it all in one piece?

Also for the hood, are you wrapping it? I have not found a roll large enough to cover how wide it is.

I'd love to see more under direct sunlight. To me it looks like a watered down lip stick red.

·
BC3S
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, how bitch is it going to be when the time comes to remove? Looks pretty good.
it's actually easy to remove as long as you prepped the surface right and use heat to remove it. even if i remove it though, it will get replaced. the paint underneath looks like crap. the nice thing about vinyl is panel by panel fixing and they paint match perfectly. someone key your car? rock chip? take the panel off and put on a new one.

I absolutely love this! I've thought about wrapping my 3S as well but those side skirts would be a B*tc#.

How exactly did you do it? did you do it all in one piece?

Also for the hood, are you wrapping it? I have not found a roll large enough to cover how wide it is.

I'd love to see more under direct sunlight. To me it looks like a watered down lip stick red.
the sideskirts actually weren't that bad, just time consuming. the front&rear bumpers on the other hand...
all the panels are their own separate piece with inserts put into deep channels as to not stretch the vinyl over its limit.
the hood was prewrapped already in carbon fiber - actually this is where i got the idea to do the whole car. a 5ft wide roll is plenty enough to make it without a seam with a couple inches excess on the sides to work with. I'm still undecided if i want to do it red, black or leave it carbon for now.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Wow, great job!.

·
Premium Member
17,963 Posts
That does look good. I'm curious how it will look and if any bubbles on a hot summer day.

Coop

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Looks awesome. I plan to wrap mine as well when the time comes. I've done my roof already. It's really pretty straight forward. How hard were the bumpers?

·
BC3S
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys

That does look good. I'm curious how it will look and if any bubbles on a hot summer day.
Coop
you are supposed to heat the material to it's setting point to get rid of all the bubbles once the vinyl has been layed down (vvivids is around 80C). no bubble should show up after. this also ensures proper adhesion so the vinyl doesn't lift after.
Looks awesome. I plan to wrap mine as well when the time comes. I've done my roof already. It's really pretty straight forward. How hard were the bumpers?
the roof is really easy compared to the bumpers once you learn the techniques. the main issue with the complex curves on the bumpers is wrinkle management. the stuff bunches up in every corner/valley/etc.

·
Ancient Spirit Of Evil
3,922 Posts
Re: Full Vinyl Wrapped GTO

Hmmm would love to see a video of someone doing this... I'm either going to be painting the car... or wrapping it, but everywhere I look they want $2,000 bugarrones to wrap the car, and that's just labor, then they want another $1,200 for materials

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Always wanted to wrap a car with a mirror finish, but later read that it was not street legal.

Sounds like the application requires a lot of tricks that you learned. Please share anything that you think would help.

·
BC3S
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm would love to see a video of someone doing this... I'm either going to be painting the car... or wrapping it, but everywhere I look they want $2,000 bugarrones to wrap the car, and that's just labor, then they want another $1,200 for materials
there are lots of videos on youtube. i watched a whole ton of them before starting.
quality materials are around that price yea, and the labor is way more. they are underestimating the car. i got quoted at $4000 average around here.
Always wanted to wrap a car with a mirror finish, but later read that it was not street legal.

Sounds like the application requires a lot of tricks that you learned. Please share anything that you think would help.
mirror finish is tacky like the chrome colors, leave that to the tasteless rich kids.
there are a bunch of little tricks that you would learn by practicing on a panel and watchin youtube videos. it's way too much to type out. if you want specific hints/tips or questions fire away I'm an open book.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
What brand did you go with? I've been planning on wrapping mine to do a satin black with gloss black accent. Problem is I REALLY want to make sure it's a satin and not a matte. I've ordered samples of both oracal and 3M but if you feel yours has a good shine to it I'd love to know which you used.

·
BC3S
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as mentioned in the first post, i went with vvivid vinyl out of montreal. not the best like 3m or hexis etc but not cheap grade like china stuff. i got a bunch of samples from the diff companies off ebay for free and the bang for buck/quality of vvivids was the best. the seller on ebay was zgwholesale - he sent me a whole sample pallet for free to check out.

the most satin out of the mattes was definitly the china ones. vvivids was closer to a paint job matte and 3m/oracle/hexis/avery was full on youcantellitsvinyl matte. my roof and pillars are china quality vinyl, and it is closer to satin in person than matte.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I seen my first vinyle wrapped car in person the other day. It was a Lexus with a matte metalic gray. It was pretty damn sweet. I've been thinking about doing it to mine as well with the gloss red. To have it done by a shop I stopped in at was about $2,000.

I might do it myself actually. I have many years of commercial roofing under my belt so that should help with manipulating the vinyl to go around turns and such. I don't know though.

Just wondering if it would hold to unpainted fiberglass though. If I go vinyle route I'm not going to bother painting the wide body fenders and side skirts...

Car looks amazing though.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
I also purchased vvivid vinyl out of montreal too, but here's my experience with it.
Last year I wanted to cover my roof and hood (clear coat was bad). I cut a large piece for the hood, and had two assistants to help handle a large piece. Unfortunately the sticky glue was so strong that when someone picked up one of the corners it took the paint right off my bumper :( . We ended up not doing the hood because we couldn't make it fit / look right. Next we did the roof, and did a perfect job. Over the course of the winter, a small bubble developed (about the size of a quarter). :( To my surprise the vinyl peice had shrunk 2mm in each direction. :( Since the bumper needed repainting, and hood, I decided to take the vinyl off -- what a nightmare; majority of the glue stuck to the paint and not the vinyl.

·
Ancient Spirit Of Evil
3,922 Posts
I also purchased vvivid vinyl out of montreal too, but here's my experience with it.
Last year I wanted to cover my roof and hood (clear coat was bad). I cut a large piece for the hood, and had two assistants to help handle a large piece. Unfortunately the sticky glue was so strong that when someone picked up one of the corners it took the paint right off my bumper :( . We ended up not doing the hood because we couldn't make it fit / look right. Next we did the roof, and did a perfect job. Over the course of the winter, a small bubble developed (about the size of a quarter). :( To my surprise the vinyl peice had shrunk 2mm in each direction. :( Since the bumper needed repainting, and hood, I decided to take the vinyl off -- what a nightmare; majority of the glue stuck to the paint and not the vinyl.
Wow... thanks for the heads up.... I will definitely be repainting then

·
CAD/DAO/CNC
1,577 Posts
Nice rez604 ...

For dont have this nightmare Blasckstealth always use vinyl of quality like avery bubble free. Is just so more easy to remove ;)

I wraped many car on the time i was working on a sign company . For nice finish and durable bubble free with a gloss clear bubble free over it.

-Simon

·
BC3S
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also purchased vvivid vinyl out of montreal too, but here's my experience with it....
some tips to avoid the above mishaps:

-you shouldn't wrap in cold weather, ambient temperature is very important. not too hot, not too cold, low to no humidity.

-surface prep is crucial. clean/sand/prep the hell out of it. no oil/grease/dust/nothing should be left on it. no imperfections, no wet spots, no dust settling. think it's clean? go over it again!

-if the paint under is flaking/chipped/peeling/whatever, the vinyl WILL rip it right off and will NOT stay down. prep the surface! clean it twice and go over it with isopropyl alcohol. make absolutely dam sure the surface is DRY and not hot or cold. go over the panel again to make sure it is clean & dry.

-bubbles developing later again is sign of improper prep (that portion not cleaned properly) and installation technique. post heat the vinyl to set it and bring out all the hidden bubbles trapped. go over the whole thing with a squeegee overlapping your strokes and applying FIRM pressure.

-do not overstretch the vinyl past what it was made for. this particular brand only stretches 30% [i found out it is more like 10% the hard way]. brands like 3M 1080 can stretch %150. your vinyl will lift out of grooves and pull back from edges.

-when removing your vinyl, heat it first! again if your paint under was no good to begin with, it will tear it right off. if it wasn't installed properly it will leave residue/glue/pieces of itself on the surface.

highly recommended to do a practice panel first and leave it a week to see the outcome first. watch all the youtube videos! there are some golden nuggets here and there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts