Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been in the 3S game nearly as long as a lot of people here so I find it pretty cool when old aftermarket/rare option parts that I didn't know about come up for sale. This kinda stuff seems to be a pretty big deal in other 90s J-car communities but there's not a whole lot of info on it for our cars, I'm assuming because the aftermarket wasn't nearly as big.

Hopefully this thread will be good for figuring out what is out there so feel free to link parts for sale on other sites or talk about rare parts you've had experience with

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let's start it off with parts I found today browsing Yahoo auctions Japan

Not sure if this is intended to be a kit for sidemounts or a front mount, I'm leaning toward front mount because I don't see anything that looks like a y-pipe. Pretty cool kit especially still being brand new but I definitely wouldn't pay $1800 for it.

I have definitely seen a few people on the fb groups with these before, but I don't know a whole lot about how they were mounted or wired in an OE fit type of fashion. Not a terrible price but someone could probably reproduce these without too much trouble

Lastly we've got a spoiler from a much bolder era of visual mods. Kinda looks like a mix of the r33 GTR and FD RX7 Spirit R wing. I've only seen mounted pics of it with the whole kit and gotta say it might be a little much.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,197 Posts
HKS SMIC's had a specific hard pipe kit and a very good fitment with additional mounting tabs/brackets. I have only dealt with one car that had them.

The light up panel is/was already reproduced overseas, but a genuine accessory is exactly that - original.

Lastly, that wing is often confused with the Yamato one.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

Reactions: Unlogic

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
459 Posts
One thing I do wish for was a lot more aftermarket support for our cars
Moving on to bigger better things i guess
Everyone capitalizing on the $
Even me lol .... need parts gotta work for it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HKS SMIC's had a specific hard pipe kit and a very good fitment with additional mounting tabs/brackets. I have only dealt with one car that had them.

The light up panel is/was already reproduced overseas, but a genuine accessory is exactly that - original.

Lastly, that wing is often confused with the Yamato one.

Thanks for the info Alan, I figured you'd weigh in given all the modified cars you've had a handle on over the years.

BTW the wilwood kit you and that beige stealth have seem pretty nice, had no idea they existed before you posted about them.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,197 Posts
One thing I do wish for was a lot more aftermarket support for our cars
Moving on to bigger better things i guess
Everyone capitalizing on the $
Even me lol .... need parts gotta work for it
For one thing, the platform is full of cheap asses that do not support the individuals and/or shops that invest(ed) into actual R&D for these cars. This obviously does not apply to everyone, but the history is there.

But yes, it is a numbers game especially with supply and demand, mass production, and sales.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,197 Posts
Thanks for the info Alan, I figured you'd weigh in given all the modified cars you've had a handle on over the years.

BTW the wilwood kit you and that beige stealth have seem pretty nice, had no idea they existed before you posted about them.
Haha 😅 that Stealth's Wilwood kit is far more OG and rare. The GB thread is still here on 3Si from 2002. From what I gathered, only roughly 30 sets were put together, but the ideology was to accommodate more wheel fitments especially factory. That is why the rotor is not 13-14" but still a floating 2-piece.

·
Show me your twins
1,228 Posts
Im a sucker for rare parts lol.

I have 2 different years of GTO accessory catalogs that show *most of the cool OEM optional parts. All are discontinued of course but some parts are more rare than others. I may post them.

Reactions: baloo

·
Show me your twins
1,228 Posts
Also I have a write up on here on how to install those GTO light up panels.

Reactions: baloo

·
3S addict since '95
1,178 Posts
Very cool idea for a thread! I love nostalgic / little-know 3S stuff. When I first got into these cars, Alamo, GT Pro, and DN Performance were some of the preeminent authorities for performance on our cars. I used to spend hours studying their websites and reading about their latest track victories. Ever heard of them? Don't worry... most who have joined this platform in the past 15 years haven't. There was also Ultimate Performance, ATR, Deft Racing, TEC Perfomance, Kormex, Cianci, and many more that came and went. Some producing very cool and unique products, over the years. I have some neat information (and perhaps useless knowledge) I'll add, over time. But for now, I want to address the very retro (and very iconic) Wilwood brake kit that has been mentioned...

Haha 😅 that Stealth's Wilwood kit is far more OG and rare. The GB thread is still here on 3Si from 2002. From what I gathered, only roughly 30 sets were put together, but the ideology was to accommodate more wheel fitments especially factory. That is why the rotor is not 13-14" but still a floating 2-piece.

I actually have a brand new Wilwood 6-piston kit that I bought here from another member 5 or 6 years ago. I spent some time trying to make it work on my '96 TT. There have been some issues. Eventually, I realized some of this problems might stem form it being engineered specifically for '91-'92. It appears there are some differences in the hub. First problem was that the rotor centerbore is too small, by a mm or so, preventing it from sitting flat against the hub. Surprising to me, the hub has a step in it... the diameter that the rotor fits over is slightly larger than the diameter that the wheel fits over. Haven't compared this against an early car, but I bet it's different. Also, the mounting surface on the rotor hat is too thick. It adds about -6 mm to your wheel offset and prevents your wheels from being hub-centric anymore. Not a big problem. I had my friends at a local wheel manufacturer open it up and mill down the thickness to same as a stock rotor. Then there's the caliper. The included bracket bolts up... sort of. But it won't sit flat because the inside clearance isn't cut right (at least for my '96). Not a big deal, had it opened up. But, even sitting flat, it positions the caliper not centered on the rotor. So got the bracket machined down a bit. Cool. But then came the real problem! The round mounting "fingers" on the bracket aren't long enough. As in, the caliper isn't out far enough to accommodate the rotor. Attempt to tighten the bolts and they smash the caliper against the outside edge of the rotor. Only off by maybe 5 mm, but it isn't right and won't bolt up with the rotor in place. Now this isn't such an easy problem to solve and one that I'm still working on. Because the caliper mounts radially (not with flat ears like the stock caliper), it's appearing that an entirely new bracket will need to be made. Again, I suspect this is a early vs. late car issue. It's possible that someone may be able to build up some material (TIG) onto the surface of the existing bracket, then machine it down to the proper thickness then re-tap. But that sounds sketchy. I've back-burnered it for now. But, still, I sincerely hope to get this sweet (and very pretty) piece of history on my car someday!

Side note... I heard once that Matt Monet bought the last of the Willwood kits and spare parts that were built. Maybe @SnakeSkinner will chime in on the fitment.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,197 Posts
@nissanzack oh damn lol! I only read about SOME of the issues and resolutions but nothing in-depth as you described. I also read about Matt and the remainder of the kits. Thanks for sharing!

That is one gnarly bunch of hurdles to encounter and deal with though 😬 the main "gripe" that most seemed to agree on was the bleeder valves being positioned at the bottom haha. In contrast, mine have two at the bottom and at the top - four total for mounting whichever way. My rotors have a larger bore though and included a hub/spacer ring of maybe 2mm. Fortunately, the mounting surface/hat still accommodated the use of a hubcentric ring for wheels. I believe that StopTech also pushes wheels out - guessing 5mm-ish. I cannot recall specifically from the last two kits that I saw installed.

FWIW, "john_delloso" mentioned on IG that he was able to get new rotors for his OG kit (reuse hats/bells) with the help of a Wilwood rep. Apparently, Dave Best might have been the original purchaser as he installed them... pretty cool!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im a sucker for rare parts lol.

I have 2 different years of GTO accessory catalogs that show *most of the cool OEM optional parts. All are discontinued of course but some parts are more rare than others. I may post them.
That sounds awesome I’d love to see them! The only other option GTO stuff I’m familiar with is the AP Racing 6 piston fronts and the hybrid rear diff which I might get into in another post.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very cool idea for a thread! I love nostalgic / little-know 3S stuff. When I first got into these cars, Alamo, GT Pro, and DN Performance were some of the preeminent authorities for performance on our cars. I used to spend hours studying their websites and reading about their latest track victories. Ever heard of them? Don't worry... most who have joined this platform in the past 15 years haven't. There was also Ultimate Performance, ATR, Deft Racing, TEC Perfomance, Kormex, Cianci, and many more that came and went. Some producing very cool and unique products, over the years. I have some neat information (and perhaps useless knowledge) I'll add, over time. But for now, I want to address the very retro (and very iconic) Wilwood brake kit that has been mentioned...

I actually have a brand new Wilwood 6-piston kit that I bought here from another member 5 or 6 years ago. I spent some time trying to make it work on my '96 TT. There have been some issues. Eventually, I realized some of this problems might stem form it being engineered specifically for '91-'92. It appears there are some differences in the hub. First problem was that the rotor centerbore is too small, by a mm or so, preventing it from sitting flat against the hub. Surprising to me, the hub has a step in it... the diameter that the rotor fits over is slightly larger than the diameter that the wheel fits over. Haven't compared this against an early car, but I bet it's different. Also, the mounting surface on the rotor hat is too thick. It adds about -6 mm to your wheel offset and prevents your wheels from being hub-centric anymore. Not a big problem. I had my friends at a local wheel manufacturer open it up and mill down the thickness to same as a stock rotor. Then there's the caliper. The included bracket bolts up... sort of. But it won't sit flat because the inside clearance isn't cut right (at least for my '96). Not a big deal, had it opened up. But, even sitting flat, it positions the caliper not centered on the rotor. So got the bracket machined down a bit. Cool. But then came the real problem! The round mounting "fingers" on the bracket aren't long enough. As in, the caliper isn't out far enough to accommodate the rotor. Attempt to tighten the bolts and they smash the caliper against the outside edge of the rotor. Only off by maybe 5 mm, but it isn't right and won't bolt up with the rotor in place. Now this isn't such an easy problem to solve and one that I'm still working on. Because the caliper mounts radially (not with flat ears like the stock caliper), it's appearing that an entirely new bracket will need to be made. Again, I suspect this is a early vs. late car issue. It's possible that someone may be able to build up some material (TIG) onto the surface of the existing bracket, then machine it down to the proper thickness then re-tap. But that sounds sketchy. I've back-burnered it for now. But, still, I sincerely hope to get this sweet (and very pretty) piece of history on my car someday!

Side note... I heard once that Matt Monet bought the last of the Willwood kits and spare parts that were built. Maybe @SnakeSkinner will chime in on the fitment.
I’m glad the thread caught your interest!

I am familiar with a few of those, mainly GT Pro, DN, ATR and cianci. I wonder if any of their sites could be found with the wayback machine or something similar?

I did some digging on here about the wilwoods after seeing Alan’s post a few days back and saw some similar gripes about fitment on later cars. Thanks for laying out the specifics on the issues you’ve come across, that sounds a lot more complicated then I would’ve anticipated so I’ll probably have to write off wanting to do that on my 95 (in the slim chance I ever came across a set).

·
Show me your twins
1,228 Posts
1992 issue.

·
Show me your twins
1,228 Posts
That sounds awesome I’d love to see them! The only other option GTO stuff I’m familiar with is the AP Racing 6 piston fronts and the hybrid rear diff which I might get into in another post.
The BBK is a holy grail item for sure. I believe those parts (as well as others) were in a separate catalog since they were specifically sold to MR owners.

·
Show me your twins
1,228 Posts
Here's just some of the stuff i have laying around.

BNIB FET fog light brackets for 1Gs. Need another one for a set.

BNIB HKS replacement filter. Made in 2002.

Dealership promotional GTO bag.

And coming late Feb i should receive a BNIB Brembo rear brake pads

Also coming Feb, Pit Road M rear strut bar. I already have the Carbing/Okuyama version (its just white with a Carbing decal) but I'll probably throw it in my SL or sell it.

·
Show me your twins
1,228 Posts
Wow, those stereo options! The seat covers are interesting as well. Very cool to see that
I'd love to get my hands on that Sat Nav lol. Even tho it wouldnt work over here.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lot of things I didn't expect to see in there. Gonna have to hunt me down some GTO seat doilies now lmao.

The stuff you have laying around is pretty cool too but quite small in comparison to everything on your actual car, that's quite the list man!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts