Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i use my brakes the steering wheel really vibrates , it shimmies from side to side vigorousily, what could the problem be, and is it easily fixed? thank you

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Could also be a wheel bearing, although I would pull off the tires, check the brakes/rotors, probably need the brakes replaced regardless. If it still persists, I would then move on to it being a wheel bearing. Can you tell if the vibration/jerking is coming from the front/rear of the car? I know sometimes it is hard to tell, just asking

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
If it has been a long time since you pulled the front rotors they can be a BITCH to get loose.

Make sure you check out the Rotors from Hell post to see what a rotor removal gone bad looks like.

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92864&highlight=rotor+from+hell

The suggestion by ELMO is a god-send in terms of a civilized way to get the rotors off of the car. I tried banging for hours but was sure I was going to break something if I hit it any harder.

PS: The jacking screws on the front work great IF the rotor has not rusted on but otherwise they are useless and will strip easily if you apply too much pressure.

Also, remember to put some anti-seize on so tking the rotors off at some future date will be MUCH easier.

Clint

·
Former 3/S Addict
304 Posts
DIY Brake Pads and Rotors

To all:

I've never "done" my own brakes. Is there a FAQ or write-up on changing the pads/rotors on the 3Si's (2nd gen TT in particular):?

Thanks to anyone that will help. Again, I've never had the opportunity, but will try just about anything with the right direction! :icon23:

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Not much difference between these cars and any other car with disk brakes. You might want to see if one of your friends or relatives has done it before and have them give you a hand.

Biggest bitch is if the rotors are stuck on there otherwise it is pretty straightorward. I suggest you get the 12 mm bolts mentioned in the Rotors From Hell link before you start - a LOT easier than beating the heck out of your rotors.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-rotorpads.htm

Useful tools:

4" C Clamp to compress the caliper pistons.

Clint

1 - 8 of 8 Posts